Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Free Beer! (help with timing please)  (Read 3828 times)

March 03, 2010, 07:50:49 pm

westcoaster

• Junior

Free Beer! (help with timing please)
« on: March 03, 2010, 07:50:49 pm »
Help me check the timing on my MF block 1.6 turbo diesel please. Fresh re-ring engine rebuild, Giles rebuilt injectors, rebuilt k24 turbo, injection pump with unknown miles. This engine is sitting in an '87 suzuki samurai.
I don't have a book nor the tools to do this.

It is running and driving but I am having issues with it.

Need the cold start lever to start in temperatures around 10*c after sitting for ~24 hours (hot or warm engine it is not required)
whitish blue smoke after the engine has been idling (stop and go city traffic with more stop than go)
The engine idles clear, only with acceleration does it smoke then clears up. Start and stop without much idle time seems reasonably clear.

Located in Surrey BC
westcoasterz at gmail dot com

Thanks,
Jarl

'87 suzuki samurai with a 1.9 AAZ TD transplant

Reply #1March 03, 2010, 08:18:35 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: Free Beer! (help with timing please)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 08:18:35 pm »
what do you do for Glow Plugs? Also what brand Bosch duratherms are the ONLY way to go on glow plugs.

I would also check pump timming. If you don't have the tools go try and get them as you should need them for a while if you ever do a timming belt or loosen the pump for any reason. You can try to advance the timming by ear, but try to scribe marks so you know where you started from.

Reply #2March 03, 2010, 08:24:23 pm

westcoaster

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 08:24:23 pm »
All the glow plugs were verified good when I changed the injectors (previous owner had also recently changed them)

Verified by turning the key on with the injectors removed. all the plugs glowed...

Reply #3March 03, 2010, 08:28:47 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 08:28:47 pm »
How long ago and what brand. I went through two sets in a year once of non duratherms, and on the same car I usually only got a year out of my duratherms. Plus if they were in there awhile before they may be up. Just an idea.

Reply #4March 03, 2010, 08:42:43 pm

westcoaster

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 08:42:43 pm »
They were checked shortly after Christmas or 1000 miles ago.

No idea on the brand...

Reply #5March 03, 2010, 09:35:25 pm

Vincent Waldon

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• My collection of HOWTOs
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 09:35:25 pm »
Gonna be hard to do anything meaningful without instructions and tools.    :'(

The FAQ has a link to some random dude's thoughts on how to set the timing and make *most* of the tools.   ;)

Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3, 1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Reply #6March 04, 2010, 01:01:23 am

westcoaster

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 01:01:23 am »
Gonna be hard to do anything meaningful without instructions and tools.    :'(

I know, that's why I posted up. :'(

On the bright side it's an opportunity to meet new people and have a pop or two... :)

Reply #7March 04, 2010, 07:48:48 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 07:48:48 am »
I would check out the GPs and GP system you have first. If it goes away once heat is in the engine the timing probably isn't all that bad. It would be best to check it, but see what your GPs and GP relay, wiring, etc are doing before you get your tools.

Reply #8March 04, 2010, 10:19:24 am

westcoaster

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 10:19:24 am »
I would check out the GPs and GP system you have first. If it goes away once heat is in the engine the timing probably isn't all that bad. It would be best to check it, but see what your GPs and GP relay, wiring, etc are doing before you get your tools.

Biggest problem is that I can run the engine hard, get it nice and hot then when I let it idle for several munutes (even have the fan cycle) when I start off again I get a puff that stays intil it "gets blown out" then no more until I let idle for a period of time again.

Reply #9March 04, 2010, 11:00:07 am

starrd

• Junior

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 11:00:07 am »
If you are ever up my way, I'll give you a hand - I have all the tools required. 
Black 1996 Passat TDI Malone tune, K03/04 Hybrid, Keyless, VR6 Clutch & PP357's
White 1993 Passat TD - GTD nozzles, Keyless - Giles pump, K14, Intercooler, 228mm VR6 clutch & PP, CTN Trans etc
Red 1990 Corrado - custom chip by

Reply #10March 04, 2010, 12:20:02 pm

wil892

• Junior

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 12:20:02 pm »

Biggest problem is that I can run the engine hard, get it nice and hot then when I let it idle for several munutes (even have the fan cycle) when I start off again I get a puff that stays intil it "gets blown out" then no more until I let idle for a period of time again.

This is similar to what i have/had. Though not as bad as yours. Mine smokes a bit when it is being blown out for the first time after cold start or if I have been running around for a while without using the turbo. Still not entirely sure what it is as it still does it (less though) now I have advanced it slightly.
1991 Golf MK2 GTD

Reply #11March 04, 2010, 11:51:08 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 11:51:08 pm »

Timing. It needs to be advanced. Had the excat same problem, wouldn't smoke under driving conditions.. but would smoke a hellish cloud while idling. Timing was something stupid low, like 0.88mm or something... I bumped it up to 1.03mm and it has been running fine since October.

I know people hate to deal with Prothe, but besides his IP's.. he has great customer service.. lol

http://www.dieselvw.com/VWDieselTimingBeltTools.htm

I bought this exact product, and am very happy with the quality of the gauge and the cam and pump locks. For $72 (half the price of some gauges alone that I have seen) you can't really go wrong. I have timed 6 engines with these tools, they work flawlessly.

If the problem persists, after it has been running to operating temps.. its not the gp's... its timing.. Final Answer ;)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 09:21:47 am by 8v-of-fury »

Reply #12March 05, 2010, 01:23:07 am

westcoaster

• Junior

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 01:23:07 am »
If you are ever up my way, I'll give you a hand - I have all the tools required. 

I appreciate the offer.
Summer and the good weather is coming so it sounds like a good excuse to load up the camper and flat tow the samurai!
Might take me a while before I can get up that way though...

I checked out "some random dude's" posts in the FAQ. Now I'm all worried about my headgasket...
It's leaking oil from, well, #1 cylinder below the exhaust port.
This block has only had the torque and the two twists done on the head bolts. Has not had the post heat and twist treatment. I could warm up the engine and twist again but am concerned about cracking the block (crap/oil in the bolt bottom) or breaking a bolt (shop may have reused head bolts. Don't know for sure)
I'm figuring out really quick the shop that did my rebuild is not all that concerned about the quality they pump out or standing behind their product.

Reply #13March 05, 2010, 09:08:49 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 09:08:49 am »

This block has only had the torque and the two twists done on the head bolts. Has not had the post heat and twist treatment. I could warm up the engine and twist again but am concerned about cracking the block (crap/oil in the bolt bottom) or breaking a bolt (shop may have reused head bolts. Don't know for sure)
I'm figuring out really quick the shop that did my rebuild is not all that concerned about the quality they pump out or standing behind their product.

now with both of those posts I would say that the head gasket isn't sealed and you may be burning a little coolant. I think you should take a closer look at that HG for more symtoms. Call your shop and ask what they used to bolt the head on and go from there. Also, I would think that it isn't GPs if it does it when warm. See if you are loosing coolant too.

Reply #14March 06, 2010, 12:29:11 am

westcoaster

• Junior

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010, 12:29:11 am »
LOOK MOM! No cold start lever...

Loosened the bolts on the pump and knocked it over a milimeter... Too much?

Seems to start a little better when cold. Dark out so I couldn't really see but seemed to be smoking black when accelerating on a cold engine.

Nothing like "by the seat of the pants" tuning ::)

Meh, what I had wasn't working so couldn't really go wrong...