Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Intermittent Wiper Swap  (Read 3755 times)

February 24, 2010, 01:20:24 am

maxfax

• Veteran

Intermittent Wiper Swap
« on: February 24, 2010, 01:20:24 am »
OKay search is not being me friend again..   Since I have the Rabbit in pieces I'd like to swap the intermittent wipers from one of the other cars..  Is it as simple as swapping the switch and relay, or do I have some wiring to do as well?

I'm planning on the mk3 wiper motor swap while I'm at it..

Reply #1February 24, 2010, 12:28:31 pm

clbanman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Cambridge, Ontario
Re: Intermittent Wiper Swap
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 12:28:31 pm »
Calvin
91 VW Golf 1.6NA 5spd

Reply #2February 24, 2010, 01:05:32 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 01:05:32 pm »
I've read that one..  The relay is on the list of things to grab when I go junkyarding for the MKIII motor...

What I'm looking at is, my car currently has no delay wipers at all..  Not even the position on the switch for it..  All of the other MK1's I have around do have it..   

The wiring diagrams don't seem to specify any diferences between cars with or without, but it just seems to easy to be plug and play...

Reply #3February 24, 2010, 01:29:42 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 01:29:42 pm »
Look at your fusepanel and you'll see a metal bus bar/jumper wire. Remove that and install a relay from any mk1/2/3.
The wiper stalk is about the same, just knock off the lock out for going down.
Tyler

Reply #4February 24, 2010, 02:07:04 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 02:07:04 pm »
Yeah there's a little plug you can pull out of the switch and give you the int position.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #5February 24, 2010, 02:58:05 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 02:58:05 pm »
I'll be damned..   Well, that was too easy..   I hope that little plug cost them as much to engineer as it would have to put delay on all the cars..  >:(     Oh well I have lower mileage switches now (under 250K WOOT!) and a spiffier steering wheel to boot..   Now if I just had wiper arms, or a windshield for that matter..

Thanks guys!     

Now answer me this, what's the voodoo to get the horn pad off the plain jane  steering wheels without things breaking???

Reply #6February 24, 2010, 08:52:24 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 08:52:24 pm »
Now answer me this, what's the voodoo to get the horn pad off the plain jane  steering wheels without things breaking???

The two spoke wheel? Those little plastic things that the little loops in the cover hook around usually break off.....I use a little screw driver and try to reach in there and flip the vinyl loop over the plastic thing.

Do you know if you can even get a new windshield? I've never asked a glass place but I've never found 'em on the web.........
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.

Reply #7February 25, 2010, 12:50:28 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 12:50:28 am »
Do you know if you can even get a new windshield? I've never asked a glass place but I've never found 'em on the web.........

Apple Auto Glass in Ontario will do an Mk1 for $330 with removal of the old one. ;)

Reply #8February 25, 2010, 02:50:37 am

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 02:50:37 am »
The two spoke wheel? Those little plastic things that the little loops in the cover hook around usually break off.....I use a little screw driver and try to reach in there and flip the vinyl loop over the plastic thing.

That's the critter.. I got the vinyl off no prob..  The issue is the tin piece for the horn contact covers the other 2 bolts that hold  snap like doo dads..   The tin pushes though the plastic and little barbs spring out to hold it there..  I've pretty much had the consistent result of broken plastic..  When the plastic was healthier I would imagine it should just pop off those snaps..

I've checked with two local places, new windshield installed with new seal runs about $280..  I'm not actually replacing mine though, just removed it to take care of any rust issues present and future, and get a new seal installed...

Reply #9February 25, 2010, 03:31:58 am

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 03:31:58 am »
Apple Auto Glass in Ontario will do an Mk1 for $330 with removal of the old one. ;)

That's a looooong ways away.......... :P

That's the critter.. I got the vinyl off no prob..  The issue is the tin piece for the horn contact covers the other 2 bolts that hold  snap like doo dads..   The tin pushes though the plastic and little barbs spring out to hold it there..  I've pretty much had the consistent result of broken plastic..  When the plastic was healthier I would imagine it should just pop off those snaps..

I've checked with two local places, new windshield installed with new seal runs about $280..  I'm not actually replacing mine though, just removed it to take care of any rust issues present and future, and get a new seal installed...

I haven't seen that setup and I've had my steering wheel off at least 5 times. On mine the metal horn plate has little tabs that I always have to bend (they haven't even broke yet) away to get to two of the three bolts that hold the plastic piece to the wheel.

Then there's the horn wire that I always forget to hook back up....... :(

Once I was 100 miles from home the brass horn ring tore and bent outward in the middle of traffic so every time I turned the wheel enough for the tear to hit the contact it would honk :D.....somewhat embarassing.

I pulled the fuse and since I had my toolbox along I went to sears, bought a big socket, pulled the steering wheel, removed horn ring, put together and I was good to go. My parts rabbit is now missing the horn ring :D.

P.S. Remember to hook the horn wire up........ ::)........and $280 isn't a bad price to get to look through a clear windshield......new windshields just beg to get hit by rocks though :(

Reply #10February 25, 2010, 07:56:46 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 07:56:46 am »
Everytime I get a new winsheild I get the guy to do the glue in one for the cabriolet. Instead of the standard seals it has the polyurethane glue with it. They use it on all the new VW's and the old cabriolet it helped hold the car together (what my brother in law tells me as he works for the Glass DR.) I have never had one leak or had any issues with them after doing it. Before my old gold rabbit leaked like crazy, my 84 flat red one did too, but I didn't do anything with the seals on that one. My brother in law said it also helps protect the metal around there better as the glue is a sealant as well as an adheasive. The only downside is if you don't have a family member in the glass business it usually costs more.

Reply #11February 26, 2010, 06:47:59 am

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 06:47:59 am »
The Chevy Cobalts use the windshield for structural integrity..  Sounds kinda cheezy, but thinking about how tough a windshield is it makes sense..  Tough, that is, till that one little pebble hits it just right.. 

I was wondering if a glue in windshield could be swapped in in there..  I have an '84 Rabbit that has it glued, and I thought everything else looked to be the same..  I already have a semi new one already though..   Got it from one of my parts Rabbits, just replaced before HG blew and the people sold it for $100..   :)

Rabbitman, that all sounds about right, but on the 3 wheels I played with the tabs were behind the plastic piece and weren't accessible unless the whole shebang was removed.. I managed to get the metal piece off the one with some severe mangling... The other 2 I just plain broke the plastic...  I wanted to swap one of the "4 button" dealies on there anyhow so for now it doesn;t matter.. And yes the little wire is a delight after it pops off and the horn won;t shut up at 2am..  That's when the second wheel got broken....

Reply #12February 26, 2010, 07:10:03 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 07:10:03 am »
I am pretty sure it is the exact windsheild, but a different seal/gasket/glue setup. You should be in luck.

Reply #13February 26, 2010, 08:46:07 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 08:46:07 pm »
I am pretty sure it is the exact windsheild, but a different seal/gasket/glue setup. You should be in luck.

I'm not 100% sure of what you are comparing but glue-in vs seal windshields are different. The glue in ones are a little bit larger then the seal types.
Tyler

Reply #14February 28, 2010, 12:09:18 am

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 12:09:18 am »
Indeed they are..  And the newish windshield that I have is the rubber seal type..   Tempting as it may be I have a good feeling if I tried to pull the glued in one the results would not be good...  Although now you've all got me thinking..  I may have to price this and see what it would cost to get a new glue in windshield..    Might have to find another snowplow and make some more money...  ;D