Author Topic: TDI W A/C into a MK1?  (Read 1979 times)

February 13, 2010, 11:20:19 am

dieselherb1

• Veteran

TDI W A/C into a MK1?
« on: February 13, 2010, 11:20:19 am »
Has anyone installed a TDI with A/C into MK1 Caddy? I read somewhere bracket changes are needed?

Reply #1February 14, 2010, 06:05:55 pm

snuggle.pants

Re: TDI W A/C into a MK1?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 06:05:55 pm »
I am going to modify the passenger motor mount by adding a piece of angle to go to the place the motor mount bolts on the AHU block.  That way I can use the Mk1 mounts.  A friend of mine says using the sub frame and mounts from a Mk2 Passat is the way to go.  I might try that if I can get a whole car for my next conversion. 

The mount will be cut so the 2 bolts near the rubber will be used(crank snout end of block) and the mount will not interfere with the timing belt cover.  Tack weld a piece of angle to the mount after drilling a hole for the right size bolt in it and bolting to the block(will assure proper  alignment as it is on the rear) then remove and weld properly.  The old method of mounting made you remove the pump if you had to change the motor mount.  This will eliminate that problem as well. 

For the AC you could use the 1.6 brackets and AC compressor.  I would think the TDI stuff might be easier to use a good hydraulic shop can make the hoses or shorten them if needed.  I am tuff no AC in my truck...LOL... It is nice when it works though.

My wife and I took a 3500mile trip thru the SE US last summer in our 68 Baja Beetle no AC.  She didnet even kill me once.

Fixmyvw.com