S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: suspension upgrade questions  (Read 5502 times)

February 06, 2010, 09:21:00 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
suspension upgrade questions
« on: February 06, 2010, 09:21:00 am »
I am completely new to upgrading suspension. So I need to know what works and what doesn't. My goal is for it to last, handle better, and still give a good ride. I live in the country and the roads aren't the greatest, so lowering isn't an option...unless someone has a full bottom skid plate that attaches to an 86 Jetta for free. I definately am going to go with strut tower brace, but don't know who would make them or what is best out there.
I would love to hear from people that know or have done this to there cars as to what is best. Thanks Lucas ><>

Reply #1February 06, 2010, 07:31:52 pm

8v-of-fury

Re: suspension upgrade questions
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 07:31:52 pm »
my gf's 90 has all brand new KYB gas struts with reused strut mounts.. Some rough roads up here from all the non maintanenced roads.. and heaving from winter freezing. Rides very well.

What kinda suspension you lookin in to Lucas?

Reply #2February 06, 2010, 08:28:48 pm

rallydiesel

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 08:28:48 pm »
Another very good one is Bilstein PSS9's. They're pricey though. But you get adjustable compression and rebound dampening and it's a very durable coilover.
2006 Jetta TDI - gtb1749v, Malone 2, Frank's Titan 2 cam, VR6 clutch....
1991 Jetta TD - sold :(
2001 Golf TDI - Son's
1981 Rabbit - BEW tdi swap project

"ONCE YOU GO CLACK, YOU NEVER GO BACK"

Reply #3February 07, 2010, 03:01:22 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 03:01:22 pm »
I can get along in anything, but I would like something that will take abuse of these bad roads here. I am not awfully concerned about ride quality, as long as it lasts forever. I would like a nice ride, but I will sacrifice comfort for longevity is what I am saying.
Basically I am looking for a long lasting, cost effective, great handling solution for when I do the alignment on my project car in my build thread. I have had enough vw's to know that if you do one wheel bearing in 6 months you will do the next one, then a strut, then a ball joint...I want to do it all at once and have it stick to the road and last once it is done.
My friend that drag races a 1.8 gasser says that I have to put strut tower braces in as the handling difference is night and day. I have road in his cars and like what it did for him so I am going that route. I just don't know where to source or what to get when it comes to suspension parts.

Reply #4February 11, 2010, 02:15:45 am

akrallysport

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 02:15:45 am »
In most cases, a simple shock upgrade is sufficient with stock springs as long as they aren't sagging. A good option might be the Bilstein HD struts/shocks and would be complemented by H&R OE Sport type springs (0.5" lowering), although not necessary. Installing the solid rubber lower control arm bushings from a TT/R32 will help eliminate some of the mush in front, while OEM trailing arm bushings are still the ideal to maintain compliance. And don't buy cheapo ball joints and tie-rod ends... I've changed at least 5 or 6 in the past 3 years due to our potholes and late night drives on dirt roads on the way to the cottage.

Reply #5February 11, 2010, 08:49:59 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 08:49:59 am »
akrallysport

That sounds perfect. I have no clue where to get it. I can find bilsteins, but the rest...could you help a guy out with some places to check?

Reply #6February 11, 2010, 10:41:27 am

akrallysport

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 10:41:27 am »
There's quite a few online VW parts places that have what you're looking for...

I tend to frequent the following:
http://www.germanautoparts.com/
http://www.mjmautohaus.com/catalog/
http://pap-parts.com/ (located in OH, so you may have to pay sales tax)

Good luck!

Reply #7February 11, 2010, 09:39:37 pm

FineFrank

• Junior

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 09:39:37 pm »
I am completely new to upgrading suspension. So I need to know what works and what doesn't. My goal is for it to last, handle better, and still give a good ride. I live in the country and the roads aren't the greatest, so lowering isn't an option...unless someone has a full bottom skid plate that attaches to an 86 Jetta for free. I definately am going to go with strut tower brace, but don't know who would make them or what is best out there.
I would love to hear from people that know or have done this to there cars as to what is best. Thanks Lucas ><>
Hard to go wrong with Bilstein, or KYB if you're on a budget. Nearly any strut will make your car work better, so long as you dont go cheap, like Sachs et al. I bought Sachs OEM's and had to change them out in less that 10K.
I'd reccommend Bilstein HD's all around, and a good sway bar front and rear. Don't forget to change out the front strut bearings and ball joints, and the wishbone bushings with quality stuff.
If you're definately going to install a strut tower brace, do it AFTER you install a lower brace for the frame horns- it's more important, if less visible. VW put them on the Scirocco, it's called a Kbar.

Godspeed, friend.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 11:24:33 am by FineFrank »
Frank Longtine
1983 Rabbit Diesel 4 dr/ 1.6NA
1997 Rokon Trailbreaker
1984 Ford F-150/ 300-6

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants"   -Albert Camus-

Reply #8February 18, 2010, 09:27:53 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 09:27:53 pm »
I talked to my friend about the Lower strut bar brace and he said that is only more important for MKI cars. The MkII with its subframe it isn't as needed as the top according to him. He did say it is completely opposite for MKI...was that what you were refering to?

Reply #9February 19, 2010, 12:21:56 pm

GEE-BEE

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1981 with South African front end ,42 k original
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 12:21:56 pm »
WEITEC COILOVERS

RABBITPARTS.COM
1.9 AAZ, CHD 5spd with Peloquin
KO4/KO3 Hybrid turbo
Giles Pump OHC
Complete Techtonics 2'5 S/S DP and Exhaust
Coilovers, MKII Pedal Swap,G60 BRAKES
MK1 JETTA DASH
675MM 16V radiator (MKII) PASSAT DUAL FAN
42K original miles , South African Front End
15x6 Le Casletts 195-45-15

Reply #10February 19, 2010, 01:30:59 pm

FineFrank

• Junior

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 01:30:59 pm »
I talked to my friend about the Lower strut bar brace and he said that is only more important for MKI cars. The MkII with its subframe it isn't as needed as the top according to him. He did say it is completely opposite for MKI...was that what you were refering to?
Yes. Failed to read your OP thoroughly, and yor friend is right, I'm wrong.
Frank Longtine
1983 Rabbit Diesel 4 dr/ 1.6NA
1997 Rokon Trailbreaker
1984 Ford F-150/ 300-6

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants"   -Albert Camus-

Reply #11February 24, 2010, 09:40:42 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 09:40:42 pm »
WEITEC COILOVERS

RABBITPARTS.COM

I couldn't find any for MKII or that were stock ride height.

Reply #12February 25, 2010, 03:18:07 am

smokin_fun

• Junior

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 03:18:07 am »
I highly recommend H&R street coil overs. You can go for 1 inch below stock (euro stock that is) to like 5 above. I am about 1.5 above stock and i LOVE it. Forget lowering cars, I actually like the country, and the roads are always better there. It handles AWESOME, it rides awesome, and yes definitely get a strut bar. I have an autotech??? maybe but i had heard before i bought it to get an adjustable one. They really make a difference!

As far as i have seen all coil overs will go above stock height, add in the diesel sound and it feels like yer in a ford f250. Yeeehaw

Actually alot of the rally guys run Hot Bits coil overs and really like them. If they hold up to rallying they must be good.

www.hotbits.ca

www.hrsprings.com

Reply #13February 26, 2010, 06:32:20 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 06:32:20 pm »
WOW
There is a lot of pricey stuff out there. I think I would like a setup like the coilover, but whose to choose. I can see spending 1,000.00 or so, but more than that I don't think is realistic. I don't need more than that I don't think. I also would spend it only if I can take it with me to everyother vehicle I ever own. some of those linked are almost 2 grand  :o
There has to be a really good setup for around a grand.

Reply #14February 27, 2010, 09:36:32 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 09:36:32 am »
On the rear swaybar, how many in/lbs is desired? Once again MKII jetta and I am looking for life of components first, performance and ride would be second. I also can hual weighted stuff sometimes and don't know how that effects things. Also, when it comes to Koni vs bilsteins is there much difference in life, ride, and performance?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 01:05:27 pm by theman53 »

S-PAutomotive.com