Author Topic: problems with my engine girdle???  (Read 6622 times)

Reply #30February 05, 2010, 09:37:08 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
Re: problems with my engine girdle???
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2010, 09:37:08 am »
PICS or, it didn't happen. :P ;D
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
you know, decarbonated beer is a better coolant than the stuff you buy at the auto store, and is better for you...... really
"If the boost were to rise then the throttle would remain in the wide-open throttle position, which might be fun, but probably not for long"Libbypapa

Reply #31February 05, 2010, 12:09:57 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2010, 12:09:57 pm »
Kevin is going to have the most expensive, most complicated engine on the forum. it better make the most horsepower too.  ;)

Sounds like someone is jealous a little bit. ;) If Kevin wants to spend every cent he has on making sure his engine does not grenade on that first hotrod run.. why does he have to listen to your harassment and belittlement? I mean come on, in the four posts you made in this thread.. not only did they have absolutely nothing to do with the Topic.. each one of them was a reply to something Kevin said and it was a negative comment. Kevin is well on his way to an amazing machine..
when all is said and done, he is still gonna need a turbo and a good fuel pump. i would skimp in some other areas so i could splurge on a sweet turbo and a Giles super pump.

So what if he still needs a pump and turbo? that's like saying.. "skimp on doing that suspension work, because you still need a windshield to drive the car" If I had the money I know sure as hell I'd buy the most expensive well made parts I could find.. There would not be a used/junkyard part used on my build.. Kevin's doing it how he wants to do it.. Why must you continually bash this? I do not understand..  ::)

Sorry for my rant guys.. RoR usually you provide some good information.. but sometimes your a real dork. Can we not all work together towards a greater good?

dude, im a broke cracker. everything i do is cheap. im just looking at it from a financial stand point. he just totalled his car jeremy... and why on earth would you need a external 1000 dollar oiling system on a VW diesel? when i tell him something isnt going to work, theres a reason behind it. and i dont sugar coat anything. i have a blunt personality. if i feel something should be said, im not afraid to say it. i really couldnt care less about his build. hes in california, 1500 miles away from me, and theres a good chance that this is all the interacting i will do with any of you before i/you die. and im probably never gonna see his ride that he dropped all the money on. im really trying to get him to focus on (what i think are) the more importand aspects of the build. i mean c'mon, its not like we are building a 5000 horse power hemi headed supercharged fire breathing big block chevy here... its still a VW diesel, its still only gonna turn around 6000 rpms. i feel there is no need for a dry sump oil system. i dont agree with oil lines. they rip off. and bad things happen. ask me how i know?!

ok yet again, im spending too much time justifying myself.

take me or leave me guys, im not changing...

Reply #32February 05, 2010, 01:44:27 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2010, 01:44:27 pm »
you know what Kevin, your completely right. You do on this forum and is your country have the right to voice your opinion and your knowledge ;)

I'm pretty much %96 sorry for what I said :P I know he needs to know what works and what don't.. and sugar coating it is definitely what not needs to be done... but you don't gotta use such a crude attitude eh?

$1000 external oiling system on a vw diesel is Kevin's call no? were just here to tell him what will and won't work, and how to properly do what will.. not to tell him what we believe is a waste of money, or what we wouldn't do.

It's all good Kev, just sometimes you come off really rude and mean. you know?

Reply #33February 05, 2010, 02:19:44 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2010, 02:19:44 pm »
you know what Kevin, your completely right. You do on this forum and is your country have the right to voice your opinion and your knowledge ;)

I'm pretty much %96 sorry for what I said :P I know he needs to know what works and what don't.. and sugar coating it is definitely what not needs to be done... but you don't gotta use such a crude attitude eh?

$1000 external oiling system on a vw diesel is Kevin's call no? were just here to tell him what will and won't work, and how to properly do what will.. not to tell him what we believe is a waste of money, or what we wouldn't do.

It's all good Kev, just sometimes you come off really rude and mean. you know?

im the first to admit, i can be a real prick sometimes, but im ok with that. i would rather have people hate me for who i am, then love me for someone i am not... i hate fake people.

Reply #34February 05, 2010, 03:06:25 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2010, 03:06:25 pm »
said it before and will say it again, Kev really keeps me in-line, I am going to be hardheaded on some things but that's my personality.  For the record, it is not a 1,000 dollar oiling system, it is very simple, and will save me a lot of heartache, I do agree that the lines will get a bit complicated and something could go wrong but PVT Murphy's law is always in effect, and something could go wrong anyways.  Measure twice cut once. 8)

NOW...... Back on topic  details on the girdle, I want some more pics, don't wanna sound pushy, but pics would be really great.
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
you know, decarbonated beer is a better coolant than the stuff you buy at the auto store, and is better for you...... really
"If the boost were to rise then the throttle would remain in the wide-open throttle position, which might be fun, but probably not for long"Libbypapa

Reply #35February 05, 2010, 04:29:34 pm

clarkrep

• Junior

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2010, 04:29:34 pm »
There are pics of one installed on a block somewhere in TurboJ's build thread. I'm not sure how I found them but they're on either his or AKI's photobucket. I would like to see some other pics also.
How thick is your girdle? Did you have them heattreat the spacers?

Also, wouldn't it partially defeat the porpose of a girdle if your main cap bolts/studs didn't tie into it? 
'79 Rabbit Diesel L 1.5
'83 Rabbit GTI 1.6TD

Reply #36February 05, 2010, 05:19:41 pm

MJF

• Veteran

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2010, 05:19:41 pm »
'74 VW Scirocco TD
'86 Audi 80q 1,9TDic
'01 Audi A6q 2,5TDI

Reply #37February 05, 2010, 05:45:26 pm

MRTANGOMAN

• Junior

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2010, 05:45:26 pm »
The girdle is suppost to be bolted through, it supports the main brg caps too.
you make up the spacers to go between the mains and the girdle BIGGER than you need, bolt through the girdle and spacer into the mains and torque down.
you then measure the gap between the block and girdle with feeler blades.

Then mill down the spacers to the gap - 1 tho' ..

Then when you do your re-build, the -1 tho' tightens the girdle down, and keeps everything together at high revs (hopefully) ;D

Reply #38February 05, 2010, 06:01:03 pm

MRTANGOMAN

• Junior

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2010, 06:01:03 pm »
got some pixs of the problem..( now sorted !! )

the edge of the bolts are hitting the side walls of the sump.

CURE :- put the allen bolts in and tighten down
           check where the bolts hit @ each end
           rest the sump on the girdle
           break out the gas and warm the points untill red
           sit the edge of the sump onto the gridle and hit the sump side ways untill the sump mount bolts line up..
           repeat on the other end

badder bing  IT FITS !!!!!!

Reply #39February 05, 2010, 10:32:44 pm

monomer

• Veteran

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2010, 10:32:44 pm »
Ok;

So theirs two Kevins on this site, and apparently we both are working on the higher performance 1.6's.

I'm buying part by part also. Giles pump,turbo and a little more machine work. Good luck with your build and have plenty of pictures!
-1983 Rabbit LX 1.6/1.9 VNT build

Michigan Volkswagen Enthusiasts
www.michiganvw.org

Reply #40February 06, 2010, 12:13:43 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2010, 12:13:43 am »
Apparently, the name Kevin, is very popular with our given age demographic, and personality.  We all seem to love diesels. ;D There are more than two, but I won't tell you who all they are due to privacy issues, if they want to tell you that's up to them.  So, as I understand it, the girdle sits on the bottom deck, and is secured with the main bolts.  Are there length issues?  can the ARP studs be used without issue?  the standoffs take up the space left between the top of the mains and the girdle right?  for stabilization and the prevention of flexion in the bottom butresses.  removing material is unwise?  just casting materials to remove extra weight etc. left from the addition of the girdle.  "the weight won't be much, I know, but it matters to me.  Someone once told me ounces first and the pounds come later ;)"

Thanks,

Kevin
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #41February 06, 2010, 01:08:07 am

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2010, 01:08:07 am »
you need longer main bolts, but any good fastener supplier should be able to get you the appropriate bolts.

as for the weight, they are 11 pounds on the nose.(in 1/2" mild steel)
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #42February 06, 2010, 02:32:36 am

monomer

• Veteran

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2010, 02:32:36 am »
http://www.rosten-performance.com/

has ready-made kits that'll fit our blocks.

also, has anyone heard of the forged mains caps? just about every performance VW site carries them.
-1983 Rabbit LX 1.6/1.9 VNT build

Michigan Volkswagen Enthusiasts
www.michiganvw.org

Reply #43February 06, 2010, 04:14:06 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2010, 04:14:06 am »
ooohhh! more strength enhancing goodies for the bottom end ;D.  Not only will my build pack a mean punch but It will be darn near indestructible.
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #44February 06, 2010, 04:17:34 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2010, 04:17:34 am »
I just need to pack on up and move to europe, Screw the states, we don't have any of the good stuff :P  a little on the pricey side, too bad no-one manufactures stuff like that here in the states, or inconel, prechambers, or ceramic parts or........ the list goes on
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

S-PAutomotive.com