Author Topic: problems with my engine girdle???  (Read 6624 times)

Reply #15February 03, 2010, 05:20:42 pm

Rabbit on Roids

Re: problems with my engine girdle???
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 05:20:42 pm »
im not trashing on your guys's block braces. they are necessary. but he doesnt have a turbo yet, or a fuel injection pump. and he is talking about dropping almost 1000 dollars into rebuilding used heads. and 300 or something to have his crank lightened and balanced. and who knows how much hes gonna spend making a custom oiling system, when the stock VW oiling system works great. when all is said and done, he is still gonna need a turbo and a good fuel pump. i would skimp in some other areas so i could splurge on a sweet turbo and a giles super pump.

kevin is going to have the most expensive, most complicated engine on the forum. it better make the most horsepower too.  ;)

Reply #16February 03, 2010, 09:08:35 pm

sheriffadam

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 09:08:35 pm »

kevin is going to have the most expensive, most complicated engine on the forum. it better make the most horsepower too.  ;)

its also his money  ???

let him go for it :)

Reply #17February 03, 2010, 10:10:45 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 10:10:45 pm »

its also his money  ???

let him go for it :)

if you tell him it cant be done, he just wants to do it more. no matter what the cost.

i was just thinking that with a totalled car and all, he might have better places to be spending all his hard earned cash.

Reply #18February 03, 2010, 10:33:16 pm

sheriffadam

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 10:33:16 pm »

i was just thinking that with a totalled car and all, he might have better places to be spending all his hard earned cash.

Diesel in the veins - it's pure escapism!  8)

Reply #19February 04, 2010, 12:08:07 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 12:08:07 am »
It's like Crack guys, never touched drugs, of any kind, but I know how one can become addicted. ;)  I have fixed the van, and made it reliable, so now I do have another working vehicle...... For Now *bum bum BUUMM, dramatic music plays*  I am doing a lot of the work myself, and that being said, will save a lot of money over someone taking it to a shop.  All in all, I think I'm doing Darn well for someone just learning about diesels, and for my very first engine build.  I have taken this into serious consideration, one because this will make my dry sump more purposeful because of the low oil pan issue "I have weitec's lowered to a ridiculous degree"  and two, because I will have a crapload of power/torque going through that bottom end, I can only pray that the stock forged rods will do the trick.  I appreciate everyones concern, I know all habiter's say this, but you have to just know that I do, in fact, have it all under control.  I will need some of those spacers made, where can I get some.  Still mulling about swapping the whole thing into the Spyder, and selling off the 78' and 80'.  You have forgotten a very important detail here monetary wise a wise investment that will also be equally important to my build will be, without a doubt, the tranny, and as of yet, I still have to choose which direction to go.

thanks,

Kevin
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
you know, decarbonated beer is a better coolant than the stuff you buy at the auto store, and is better for you...... really
"If the boost were to rise then the throttle would remain in the wide-open throttle position, which might be fun, but probably not for long"Libbypapa

Reply #20February 04, 2010, 12:33:59 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 12:33:59 am »
Kevin is going to have the most expensive, most complicated engine on the forum. it better make the most horsepower too.  ;)

Sounds like someone is jealous a little bit. ;) If Kevin wants to spend every cent he has on making sure his engine does not grenade on that first hotrod run.. why does he have to listen to your harassment and belittlement? I mean come on, in the four posts you made in this thread.. not only did they have absolutely nothing to do with the Topic.. each one of them was a reply to something Kevin said and it was a negative comment. Kevin is well on his way to an amazing machine..
when all is said and done, he is still gonna need a turbo and a good fuel pump. i would skimp in some other areas so i could splurge on a sweet turbo and a Giles super pump.

So what if he still needs a pump and turbo? that's like saying.. "skimp on doing that suspension work, because you still need a windshield to drive the car" If I had the money I know sure as hell I'd buy the most expensive well made parts I could find.. There would not be a used/junkyard part used on my build.. Kevin's doing it how he wants to do it.. Why must you continually bash this? I do not understand..  ::)

Sorry for my rant guys.. RoR usually you provide some good information.. but sometimes your a real dork. Can we not all work together towards a greater good?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 12:51:57 am by 8v-of-fury »

Reply #21February 04, 2010, 12:43:29 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 12:43:29 am »
I's totally ok, I understand where he is coming from, He is playing the devil's advocate.  It is annoying, and a little disheartening, but informative, and he reminds me to take a few steps back and take another look at the big picture.  If it weren't for him, I wouldn't even be building this monster.  But back on topic, is there anyone with a 3D type drawing or illustration on how these shims and the pan will work with this on?  I am curious as to how all of this will fit together.  I understand the theory on how it will work, just not sure how I am to make the necessary shims for the Mains? "is that right?"

Thanks,

Kevin
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
you know, decarbonated beer is a better coolant than the stuff you buy at the auto store, and is better for you...... really
"If the boost were to rise then the throttle would remain in the wide-open throttle position, which might be fun, but probably not for long"Libbypapa

Reply #22February 04, 2010, 08:34:43 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 08:34:43 am »
I's totally ok, I understand where he is coming from, He is playing the devil's advocate.  It is annoying, and a little disheartening, but informative, and he reminds me to take a few steps back and take another look at the big picture.  If it weren't for him, I wouldn't even be building this monster.  But back on topic, is there anyone with a 3D type drawing or illustration on how these shims and the pan will work with this on?  I am curious as to how all of this will fit together.  I understand the theory on how it will work, just not sure how I am to make the necessary shims for the Mains? "is that right?"

Thanks,

Kevin

I believe truckwagen has cad for that. He is the supercharged guy on here.

Reply #23February 04, 2010, 05:07:26 pm

MRTANGOMAN

• Junior

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 05:07:26 pm »
Guy's we seem to be going off topic abit here ?????

I've not been into the workshop the last few days. So no photos as yet.

As ANYONE fitted one !??????
or seen one when fitted,
PLEASE
As this has got me banging my head with the dam sump
(hopfully it'll make it fit ! LOL)

Reply #24February 04, 2010, 10:56:08 pm

MJF

• Veteran

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 10:56:08 pm »
Hit the oil pan a little with hammer. If thats not enough, a little cut, hit and weld.
'74 VW Scirocco TD
'86 Audi 80q 1,9TDic
'01 Audi A6q 2,5TDI

Reply #25February 05, 2010, 12:14:50 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2010, 12:14:50 am »
I'm going to be doing the same thing, and also wondering the same things as you are, will it fit? how, modified pan?  I also need some of the screws mentioned here, and if you can manage I would like some of the shims that you had your shop make, for mine.  I'll pay, ask anyone who I have bought anything from.  Sorry, for the thread jack, just on the same sheet of music here.

thanks,

Kevin
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #26February 05, 2010, 12:26:24 am

Turbinepowered

• Veteran

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2010, 12:26:24 am »
I'm still having an issue visualizing this... can you take a picture of what's interfering? I'm scratching my head.

Reply #27February 05, 2010, 12:51:57 am

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2010, 12:51:57 am »
the bolts that go through the girdle into the main cap on the end are interfering with the side of the pan yes?

like the head of the main cap bolt is sticking into the pan gasket area, yes?

if so, I would heat and hammer the edge of the pan to clear them before I countersunk the bolts.

I have not installed my pan yet, but I mocked it up. didnt put the pan on, so I cant say too much about how it would fit.

good luck, its good to see one of these going on a motor!

-Owen
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #28February 05, 2010, 06:02:23 am

MRTANGOMAN

• Junior

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2010, 06:02:23 am »
HEY HEY  ;D

IT FITS !!!

The clearance issue was only slight, so with the help of a big rubber hammer and some heat.
i just beat the sump pan on !!!!
Don't need the counter sink the bolts in, so the girdle is still good.
The ends of the sump are hard against the bolts, but i don't want to bend the sump any more.
Its still gotta seal !!

The extra clearance needed was only about .5mm so don't go mad beating your pan fellas !!!!

Reply #29February 05, 2010, 08:16:58 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2010, 08:16:58 am »
Now I seem to  understand. You were putting bolts through the girdle for bolting mains down? I figured you would bolt the mains down, put the shim on top of the bolt head once you had an exact measurement, then sent a bolt from the girdle down through the shim.
    If I think about your way how do you get the mains torqued? I would think that the girdle would interfere with your torque settings doing it that way.

S-PAutomotive.com