S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: ' 81 Oil Dip Stick  (Read 5089 times)

January 30, 2010, 08:11:27 pm

doonboggle

• Junior

' 81 Oil Dip Stick
« on: January 30, 2010, 08:11:27 pm »
I just read on another forum a posting that indicated the 1981 rabbit 1.6L diesel engine had a 'tube' that the common plastic item now being sold all over the net fit into.

Can someone verify this please?  According to my ETKA, there was only a seal, part #059115625; which seems to be hard to find, or when found at Audi parts, awfully costly at something like 40.00 plus.

Also would like to know what the original factory dipstick looked like ... if possible; #055115611F.
Thanks

doonboggle

1981 Rabbit pickup; 1.6L diesel
2006 Jetta TDI
1971 VW Karman Ghia convertible

Reply #1January 30, 2010, 09:27:38 pm

Rabbit on Roids

Re: ' 81 Oil Dip Stick
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 09:27:38 pm »
a stock 81 dipstick was rudimentary at best. 2-3 inch tube sticking out of the block with a wire dipstick. had a felt gasket to seal it. every one ive ever seen is that way atleast.

Reply #2January 30, 2010, 09:57:36 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 09:57:36 pm »
my 81 and two 84's have the 4 inch dipstick as well ;) just little guys :P

Reply #3January 31, 2010, 06:49:31 am

rs899

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 06:49:31 am »
Yup- that's what I have.
'91 Jetta 1.6 NA, '82 Caddy 1.6NA, '81 Cabriolet,  4 Mercedes OM616/617s , 2 Triumphs and a Citroen DS19 in a pear tree.

Reply #4January 31, 2010, 11:12:10 am

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 11:12:10 am »
you guys ever boost your dipstick out of the block? i guess 1.5's have a crank case evacuation problem. because under hard boost i used to be able to blow my dipstick out.

Reply #5January 31, 2010, 06:47:54 pm

doonboggle

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 06:47:54 pm »
I think that 'tube' you refer to is the yellow-orange items I find all over the internet.

But to try and jury rig something together, also would like to know what is the length of the actual dipstick inside the block?  I 'think' I might have the original stick, but no 'tube' or plastic sleeve ... or 'seal' as ETKA image reflects. 

Nothing outside the block resembling a 'tube' ... just a 'seal' down in the hole it seems.

a stock 81 dipstick was rudimentary at best. 2-3 inch tube sticking out of the block with a wire dipstick. had a felt gasket to seal it. every one ive ever seen is that way atleast.
doonboggle

2006 Jetta TDI

Reply #6February 01, 2010, 08:05:35 pm

dbk

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 08:05:35 pm »
If your just trying to get an accurate read of your oil level and a tube that doesn't leak, silicon the tube into the block let the silicon cure for a couple of hours and to a static level check, drain your oil, put in the proper measured amount and mark the stick

Reply #7February 01, 2010, 09:57:19 pm

doonboggle

• Junior

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 09:57:19 pm »
Seems like the silicon would after a while fall off due to the heat from the block; and then would be back from where I began ... trying to stop the oil from splashing out, etc..

If your just trying to get an accurate read of your oil level and a tube that doesn't leak, silicon the tube into the block let the silicon cure for a couple of hours and to a static level check, drain your oil, put in the proper measured amount and mark the stick
doonboggle

2006 Jetta TDI

Reply #8February 02, 2010, 10:44:14 am

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 10:44:14 am »
I think that 'tube' you refer to is the yellow-orange items I find all over the internet.

But to try and jury rig something together, also would like to know what is the length of the actual dipstick inside the block?  I 'think' I might have the original stick, but no 'tube' or plastic sleeve ... or 'seal' as ETKA image reflects. 

Nothing outside the block resembling a 'tube' ... just a 'seal' down in the hole it seems.

how old is your engine? if its very old, it never had a dip stick tube. both of my personal 1.5's have no dip stick tube.

Reply #9February 02, 2010, 11:38:58 am

doonboggle

• Junior

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 11:38:58 am »
The original 1981 version I am sure.  The po likely never changed anything in it I presume.
Your comment is what I am in hopes of solving ... what type of dipstick, how held in place, etc.  Had another fellow send me the image below showing a tube.  Is from 82 diesel, and 'thought' would be the same for 81.  However, on ETKA, don't see any version with a tube ... so the question is, how did his come about?  As I recall, he indicated the tube was pulled upwards for the picture taking process.  Can't tell for sure.

how old is your engine? if its very old, it never had a dip stick tube. both of my personal 1.5's have no dip stick tube.
doonboggle

2006 Jetta TDI

Reply #10February 02, 2010, 11:43:52 am

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 11:43:52 am »
The original 1981 version I am sure.  The po likely never changed anything in it I presume.
Your comment is what I am in hopes of solving ... what type of dipstick, how held in place, etc.  Had another fellow send me the image below showing a tube.  Is from 82 diesel, and 'thought' would be the same for 81.  However, on ETKA, don't see any version with a tube ... so the question is, how did his come about?  As I recall, he indicated the tube was pulled upwards for the picture taking process.  Can't tell for sure.

that picture is right. i think that seal comes on the dip stick. it doesnt look like it comes off, or does it? thats just a seal, the rubber grommet on the dip stick that goes into the tube. that picture is just how most of them came from the factory. it either will have no dip stick tube, a short one like that one, or a long one that comes up by the IP. they didnt use a dip stick tube on 1.5's from what i can tell. and they used the short tube on all the 11mm 1.6 engines. long dip stick tubes were used on all later engines.

Reply #11February 02, 2010, 11:54:35 am

doonboggle

• Junior

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 11:54:35 am »
The tube is what I would like to find.  The 'seal' that ETKA, to me, as possibly what is wrong with mine at this moment, would seem to deteriorate and fall out now and then; whereas the tube, being wedged in the opening, seems to be more reliable and less likely to be lost ... IMO.  The yellow-orange 'funnels' I see won't work for me because the opening is not that big ... so it ... funnel ... likely fits into something, or possibly snaps on the top of this tube.  Have never seen one, so am flying by seat of britches now.........

[/quote]that picture is right. i think that seal comes on the dip stick. it doesnt look like it comes off, or does it? thats just a seal, the rubber grommet on the dip stick that goes into the tube. that picture is just how most of them came from the factory. it either will have no dip stick tube, a short one like that one, or a long one that comes up by the IP. they didnt use a dip stick tube on 1.5's from what i can tell. and they used the short tube on all the 11mm 1.6 engines. long dip stick tubes were used on all later engines.
[/quote]
doonboggle

2006 Jetta TDI

Reply #12February 02, 2010, 12:07:25 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 12:07:25 pm »
The tube is what I would like to find.  The 'seal' that ETKA, to me, as possibly what is wrong with mine at this moment, would seem to deteriorate and fall out now and then; whereas the tube, being wedged in the opening, seems to be more reliable and less likely to be lost ... IMO.  The yellow-orange 'funnels' I see won't work for me because the opening is not that big ... so it ... funnel ... likely fits into something, or possibly snaps on the top of this tube.  Have never seen one, so am flying by seat of britches now.........

that picture is right. i think that seal comes on the dip stick. it doesnt look like it comes off, or does it? thats just a seal, the rubber grommet on the dip stick that goes into the tube. that picture is just how most of them came from the factory. it either will have no dip stick tube, a short one like that one, or a long one that comes up by the IP. they didnt use a dip stick tube on 1.5's from what i can tell. and they used the short tube on all the 11mm 1.6 engines. long dip stick tubes were used on all later engines.
[/quote]
[/quote]

the only dip stick tubes that came with the little funnel thing is on the newer cars. ive never seen one on an older car before. and mostly just see those things on gasser cars, usually diesels dont have the same sealing setup on the dip stick.

if your block is missing the dip stick tube, it may have never came with one. just dip stick on block, like a few of mine are. and we are talking about an early engine hear, so anything is possible.

S-PAutomotive.com