Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1.6L GTD injectors  (Read 5766 times)

July 02, 2004, 05:07:03 pm

DieselMonkey

• Junior

1.6L GTD injectors
« on: July 02, 2004, 05:07:03 pm »
Guys,

for my N/A 1/9L to 1.9L TD conversion which will be starting soon, i managed to obtain a set of 1.6L GTD injectors. i got them cheap as they need re-conned so no great loss if they arent up to the job.

I noticed they are only stamped as 115 bar, 1690.5 psi (i think that cal's. out at). Are these good injectors ? I would reather use this 'size' of injector as opposed to 2-stage injectors which are taller i believe and so, more trouble finding the correct lines.

Lastly, i have a fuel injection pump with boost enrich. valve (1.9 TD). But i would like to run my N/A pump as the wiring from the 1996 mk3 Diesels is a pain to work out, and i dont want wires hanging un-used etc....

With correct tuning, can i get a nice power increase with the stock N/A pump or will smoke be a problem.  :?

I'm not after a massive power increase as my block doesnt have under-piston cooling and the heads of a different alloy than the TD's. Its just a project i want to carry out. Using a stock KKK K03, how do i increase boost a bit ? Running a front mount intercooler and 53mm stainless pipe work. Want to increase boost a bit to over-come the initial loss because of this. Is it in the wastegate rod / actuator ?

Thanks in advance. DM  :wink:

Reply #1July 04, 2004, 08:40:11 pm

deepmud

• Junior

1.6L GTD injectors
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2004, 08:40:11 pm »
Well - I can help a little. I have a 1.9td. I found a good bit of power just from turning up the pump one turn. I found the 1.9td pump had very little extra fuel from boost untill I mod'd the pin, so your non-td pump will do pretty ok, IMHO. Only after mod'ing my pin did I get a lot of heat and smoke. I didn't use ANY of the wireing for the 1.9td pump at first, then just put 12v to the advance, per the 1.9td power advice from the post on the Canadian site,  http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/urltrurl?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vwquebec.ca%2Fforum%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D4344&lp=fr_en&tt=url
(this is english translated)
I don't know how hot you can run your rig (egt-wise), but I recommend an egt guage, and try to keep it cool. I added boost (need to get a guage for this ,too) by t-ing into the feed to the waste gate, and bleeding off some pressure - this took me from 7-8 psi to 10-11. My EGT on steep hills @ 65mph went from 1250f to 1100f when I added boost - this is pushing a big-tired, bad-aero 4x4. Next I get an intercooler.
Erik
the 1.9TD/Suzuki w/big tires guy
visit Alaska @ www.alaska4x4network.com

Reply #2July 04, 2004, 08:47:47 pm

89VWdieselGolf

Re: 1.6L GTD injectors
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2004, 08:47:47 pm »
Quote from: "DieselMonkey"
...I noticed they are only stamped as 115 bar, 1690.5 psi (i think that cal's. out at)...

1690.5 psi....is this correct?? :o

Reply #3July 05, 2004, 07:26:12 am

DieselMonkey

• Junior

1690.5 PSI.....
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 07:26:12 am »
Well if there stamped 115 BAR, 1 Bar = 14.7 psi so....

115 x 14.7 = 1690.5 psi ......... correct ????

Cant read the 'bar' figure on my stock N/A injectors as there is too much rust build up on them. But i would imagine they are a good bit lower, but then again i would have thought the 1.6GTD's would have been around 150 bar.

Lastly, to the first poster, the wire at the very bottom of the pump. Is this for some sort of commencment of injection, which if left un-connected, produces more power, but not good for the emmisions ?

Any more help is much appreciated. Thanks. DM

Reply #4July 05, 2004, 11:45:42 am

deepmud

• Junior

1.6L GTD injectors
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 11:45:42 am »
did my link work for you ? I just tried it, and it didn't for me - anyway, the connector is supposed to be a timing advance - the instructions are to disconnect it's old connecter, and tie it into the key-on power that already is there to allow your engine to run, so that it is advanced all the time. It is going to increase NOx emmisions.

Reply #5July 05, 2004, 02:06:09 pm

DieselMonkey

• Junior

deepmud.....
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004, 02:06:09 pm »
Deepmud,

Thanks my friend. Great help.  :D

Good to know that i can do some useful tuning of the pump rather than changing to the AAZ pump. My pump has a selonoid on the leak-off / return fitting on the pump which the AAZ pump doesnt have. This is what i meant by not wanting to start working on changing the pump. Not that i dont like a bit of work, but when it comes to the cars computer, i would rather leave it as they left it at the factory and just turn screws !  :lol:

I will fit the turbo and intercooler and keep turning the pump up until there is just a 'healthy' amount of smoke at low revs. I will also take your advice on the pumps advance fitting.

Running my stock compression ratio of 22.5: 1 i dont want to run to high a boost, but since the stock K03 isnt all that impressive in standard form i would like to up the boost a bit.

May i ask a few more questions just to be sure.... ? :wink:

The fitting that you 't-ed' into the the wastegate feed pipe, where did you place the adjustment screw ? Is it possible to locate it in the cabin ?

When adjusted, does this simply hold back the pressure needed to open the gate, allowing the turbo to keep on boosting, up until the pressure you decide up in conjunction with a boost gauge reading ? In theory, could you leave it boosting until it simply flies apart, or an engine failure occurs ? :D ..... not that i'm planning this obviously !

Lastly, - about the actual operation of the adjustment screw. In standard form the K03 wastegate opens at a pre-set boost limit and i would imagine at a certain engine rpm's......so when the adjusment screw is introduced and adjusted... does this let less pressure through the valve (not none at all) into the wastegate actuator all the time.... so the same pressure inside the actuator is eventually acheived but only at a higher engine rpm and boost pressure. So basically, fooling the actuator by giving it the same pressure (factory standard) on 'its' side of the adjustment screw, but there being greater pressure held back on the compressor housing side ?

I think i've got the right idea, just want to be totally sure. Thanks again.

DM

Reply #6July 05, 2004, 03:36:05 pm

deepmud

• Junior

1.6L GTD injectors
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2004, 03:36:05 pm »
http://www.vwdiesel.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=139&sid=cb9d049baed8dceb4549aca9c810d6eb

Dr.Diesel put this up, last week, I think. It improves the operation of the bleeder valvle set-up. You can use just the bleeder valve, and mount it in the passenger compartment. It works by stealing some of the signal, or pressure , that the wastegate recieves. The simple system, with just the valve, is a bit more variable than the type Dr.Diesel posted. It will allow some wastegate action a bit before peak, but it does seem to maximise low rpm action. I have the small, 1.9td turbo, and with the wastegate blocked, I EASILY hit 20 psi, though briefly 'cause I backed off immediately, and with moderate pedal I was at or above 15psi - so don't count on the small turbo to keep pressure in check.  I think the plain, bleeder-only system is ok, but I might try the Dr.Diesel-posted version - zero wastegate operation before preset controlled boost appeals to me.

There is a guy on the Yahoo Samurai/Diesel board who is turbo-ing his 1.9idi too. He is even in Alaska, like me!

Reply #7July 05, 2004, 04:05:43 pm

DieselMonkey

• Junior

emm... things just got complicated !
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2004, 04:05:43 pm »
Deepmud,

Do i get this right. This setup allows for 2 different ways the operator can control his waste gate..... if the boost switch is activated, it will hold back all the pressure to the wastegate and once a pre-set limit is reached, it will open fully.

Or if its turned off, it just acts like a standard boost control valve ?

I would rather leave my ignition and wiring alone, so i would just go with your original explaination and leave the adjustment screw under the hood. ..... Would i be right in saying, if i wanted the option of adjusting my boost inside the cabin... i would have air lines from the turbo to my adjustment screw inside, then from the screw to the wastegate actuator ? Is there anything wrong with this idea ?

Lastly, is the pressure, even if restricted by the adjustment screw, always opening the wastegate progressively until it is fully open ?

Also, do you have the website address for the forum with the other guy turbocharging his 1.9IDI ? I'd be interested in what his plans are.

Thanks again, Matt

Reply #8July 05, 2004, 04:55:05 pm

deepmud

• Junior

1.6L GTD injectors
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2004, 04:55:05 pm »
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SamuraiDiesel/

look for Wayne.

more later - or perhaps more input from other in the meantime.
gotta' run.

Reply #9July 05, 2004, 05:13:03 pm

Giles@PerformanceDiesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Junior

• http://www.performancediesel.ca
Boost Enrichement and Bottom solonoid
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2004, 05:13:03 pm »
Hey guys

The Eco-Diesel VW had no boost enrichment device even though the pump
looked the same, it was empty inside the boost cover.

VW added the Turbo just to clean up the exhaust without giving the car
more power.  I think it was rated at about 60 HP only a few more than
a non turbo 52 HP.

You will see an increase in power at the wheels but u won't be able to turn
up the fuel screw very much (1 turn seems like too much) before u start
getting black smoke when u first step on it.

you'll have to experiment.

as for the solonoid on the bottom of your 1.9L pump it is a light load
advance device.

when u have power at the solonoid then it disables the light load advance
retard. and vice versa.

this works so that when u drive with a light load there isn't as much advance from the pump and it's meant to cut down on emissions.

so if u have pwr there all the time (t-eed from the ESO) then u'll be fine.

Giles

Reply #10July 06, 2004, 07:24:47 am

type53b_gtd

• Junior

• http://scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca/gtd/
1.6L GTD injectors
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2004, 07:24:47 am »
Giles, I believe the discussion is about the 1.9 ECO Diesel motor (engine code AAZ,) not the 1.6 ECO Diesel.  This engine does have boost enrichment, just not a very agressive profile.

The 1.9 goes by the label ECO diesel as well.

Drew

Reply #11July 06, 2004, 03:36:04 pm

DieselMonkey

• Junior

Umwelt TD
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2004, 03:36:04 pm »
Guys,

I dont think the phrase ECO Diesel was used for the 'lightly' fuelled TD's in the UK. They where known as the 'Umwelt' Turbo Diesels, inc. in the VW brochures.

Yes, the 1.9TD does have the boost enrichment valve, but as said, requires the 1.6L version for more power.

Regards, Matt

Reply #12July 06, 2004, 05:59:50 pm

Giles@PerformanceDiesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Junior

• http://www.performancediesel.ca
1.9L yes
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2004, 05:59:50 pm »
hi

yes i meant the 1.9L ECO diesel. it didn't have any enrichment for boost.

Giles

S-PAutomotive.com