Author Topic: where to get cyl head parts  (Read 4674 times)

June 30, 2004, 07:58:15 pm

andy2

where to get cyl head parts
« on: June 30, 2004, 07:58:15 pm »
I need an exhaust valve and lifter for a 1.9 IDI and was wondering if there is any other places than the dealership to get these parts in the GTA.or is the dealership within reason $$ for these parts. Also mabye someone here might have this stuff possibly :) .
while on the topic , would the 1.9 lifter be the same as the 1.6. thanks

Reply #1June 30, 2004, 09:04:47 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004, 09:04:47 pm »
Frisco auto parts. Valve is $15, lifter about $10. Just bought some recently.

http://www.friscoautoparts.com

Reply #2July 01, 2004, 08:58:01 am

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 08:58:01 am »
you could also try my pal randy at penisula imports 905-827-9407. tell him I sent you.
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!

Reply #3July 03, 2004, 09:26:12 am

andy2

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2004, 09:26:12 am »
thanks for the info guys, i got the stuff from Frisco in Scarborough
 head gasket $60
 lifter $15
 exh valve $30
 valve guide and seal $7
 head bolts $3 ea.
 timming belt $34
 VW dealership parts are the $3 crank bolt and the $65 TDI sprocket
 thats in CDN dollars and parts are for a 1.9 IDI

Also VW lists two different part #'s for the exh valve according to the engine seriel number :?. that valve I,m replacing is about .080'' shorter than the new one due to being pounded by the piston ,I'll be resurfacing the end of the crank and filing the TDI flatspot onto the crank with a jig. This is my 3rd crank fix to date including my 1.6.

Reply #4July 03, 2004, 07:58:03 pm

89VWdieselGolf

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2004, 07:58:03 pm »
off topic...but i notice your from bowmanville...so am i :P

Reply #5July 03, 2004, 08:23:06 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2004, 08:23:06 pm »
VW dealership parts are the $3 crank bolt and the $65 TDI sprocket

Frisco didn't have these? I'm surprised, I've always bought them there. I'm also surprised at the price of the valve, you must have a late model head with 7mm valve stems. I've only ever bought the 8mm variety, which are the same as the 1.6 and therefore cheap... I also generally buy valves in quantities of 4 as well, so maybe they take pity on me... I've never worked on a motor that only bent one valve, yours must have been idling when the pulley fell off. [/quote]

Reply #6July 04, 2004, 04:36:38 pm

andy2

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2004, 04:36:38 pm »
well the valve is 8mm, I was suprised to see how much play there was between the new valve guide and new valve.The owner said that the car quit when his wife was in a parking lot, It looks like only one valve took the blow(only one valve marking on the one piston and that lifter came out with a magnet),however two other lifters have a small spot on them where it looks like the cam marked them, but otherwise their fine.So if the other lifters are good is it ok to assume the valves are good also :?: and surely the lifter would be badly damaged before a valve would bend :?: your very much right though generally it comes apart on the highway damaging sevral valves and mushrooming the lifters badly to where become part of the head.Another question Quick TD when I removed the lifters I noticed that the four intake lifters had a longer stroke than the other three exhaust lifters is this just due to thier wear patterns (stroke related) or is this of no concearn :?: I'll get those other two parts from them next time  :wink: .thanks again for your replies.

Reply #7July 04, 2004, 09:14:21 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2004, 09:14:21 pm »
Your very much right though generally it comes apart on the highway damaging sevral valves and mushrooming the lifters badly to where become part of the head

Actually. The valve stems usually poke holes in the hydraulic "piston" in the bottom of the lifter. Once this is done, no further "compression" of the lifter is possible so the valve stem begins to bend. If the engine continues to spin at this point the tips of the cam depress the centre of the lifters, cracking the top loose from the sides. The top of the lifter is then ejected from the lifter bore and the damage is complete. The remaining portion of the lifter is generally free in the bore and can be removed with a magnet, once the nasty burs are filed down of course... I would check the remaining valves carefully, especially is the lifters have marks in them. If the valves are slightly bent the heads can drop off them later due to fatigue and destroy the motor. New valves will seem pretty cheap then...

Another question Quick TD when I removed the lifters I noticed that the four intake lifters had a longer stroke than the other three exhaust lifters is this just due to thier wear patterns (stroke related) or is this of no concearn

Not following you here. Do you mean the wear marks in the lifter bore are longer on the intakes? Or the marks on top of the lifters are different somehow? As far as I know the lift of both valves is around 8mm. There are very minor differences between intake and exhaust lift.

Reply #8July 04, 2004, 10:36:26 pm

andy2

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2004, 10:36:26 pm »
Well that being said I had better take the other valves out and check them. as well as thier height.I still think that if the lifter is not damaged and is in good shape,It would be safe to say that the valve is ok ,the lifter is the weakest link right :?: . The pistons stroke in the lifter is what I was refering to, the new ones I bought had a very short stroke like three of the orignal ones while the other four orignal ones had roughly 3 times longer stroke  :?

Reply #9July 05, 2004, 07:26:08 pm

andy2

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2004, 07:26:08 pm »
Just in from checking the other seven valves they are all straight :) ,I also checked the other bent one It was very badly bent and as I said before it measures aprroximately .080" shorter than any of the other valves.Definetly a must to check all of them though rarther than thinking thier good :oops:, and its a good time to replace the other valve seals. Are the valve springs all the same intake/exhaust :?:  Thanks again