Author Topic: cleaned out my egr  (Read 3506 times)

November 01, 2005, 12:03:43 am

dirtytom

• User+

cleaned out my egr
« on: November 01, 2005, 12:03:43 am »
my 1999 jetta tdi ran ok nuthing to brag about but after driving a 1977 vw van it was nice. one day it started losing power badely and the idiot lite kept coming on. I started buy changing my oil and using my budys scaner fearing the worst. I noticed that the vacum lines to all the engine controls where worn throught wich would explain why my brakes sucked at low RPM. Since I have been having an egr code for a wile I thought I would just pull my egr valve and clean it and this is what I found

the tip of that screw driver is 1/4 in

the differance is day and nite

In the elbow of the intake it was cloged so bad that it was no biger than the tip of the screw driver I was hold in the pic. I was never realy spooling up my turbo all the way. Now my car seems like it is brand new. I finished up rite before it rained and took a test drive  :twisted: . after learning that tracktion was hard to find I called it a day. On the way to work the road was dry and I couldn't help myself :twisted:

It is sad when you smell smoke while driving and you think" some poor SOB must have an engine fire. Oh well sucks to be them" only to notice smoke billowing out of your car and be over heard saying "not again".

Reply #1November 13, 2005, 11:41:20 am

TDIsyncro

cleaned out my egr
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 11:41:20 am »
I just took mine apart last night.  It had the same kind of crud in it about a 1/4" thk all around. There is only 52,000KM on this motor (this info from a reliable supplier I bought it from).
I can only guess at why, partially burnt fuel in exhaust+cold air in intake equals a build up of crud.???
I am surprised nobody else has checked thiers.
How many miles on your engine?

Reply #2November 13, 2005, 04:31:44 pm

benjaminva

cleaned out my egr
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 04:31:44 pm »
I did mine a week ago, had less then the photos here, but still enough to warrant a good cleaning.  The cold air think I don't think is too much of a reason as my 99.5 golf had 260,000 km on it and came from Yellowknife, so assuming cold makes a difference, this thing should have been full.  There is a mod with a vag com that can be done to turn the egr off so this does not happen.  The adaptation can be found at tdiclub, and with Sask and Alberta not having air care or drive clean it should not pose a problem in the future.  
Benjamin

Reply #3November 14, 2005, 03:34:16 am

Maarten

• Veteran

cleaned out my egr
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 03:34:16 am »
Mine looked the same before I disabled the EGR with a metal plate between the EGR tube and the EGR housing.
Audi A3 TDI '98
VW cabby '79
VW T3 1.9TD '91

Reply #4November 14, 2005, 11:40:10 am

TDIsyncro

cleaned out my egr
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 11:40:10 am »
Yes, I have considered disabling it. Sounds like some good options. There appears to be a coolant/exhaust heat exchanger in this loop.  Is this to help warm up the engine faster?

Reply #5November 15, 2005, 05:32:05 pm

dirtytom

• User+

cleaned out my egr
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 05:32:05 pm »
the build up is not so much the exhaust gas's but the fack that the pcv valve is on the intake of the turbo and the compressed air with oil from the pcv mix with the erg gasses and biuld up a nasty tar like krud. I installed a oil trap in the hose from the pcv to the intake and that should help prevent the buildup from being so bad.
It is sad when you smell smoke while driving and you think" some poor SOB must have an engine fire. Oh well sucks to be them" only to notice smoke billowing out of your car and be over heard saying "not again".