Author Topic: Why replace a good oil pump?  (Read 3016 times)

June 28, 2004, 06:47:42 pm

DieselsRcool

• Junior

Why replace a good oil pump?
« on: June 28, 2004, 06:47:42 pm »
I've read many places that you should replace the oil pump when rebuilding an engine. Mine is within Bently specs and looks scratch and wear free. I find it hard to replace without a good reason other that "you should".

Any good reasons gained from experience?

Reply #1June 28, 2004, 09:34:25 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 09:34:25 pm »
i have one. you finish the rebuild, get the engine in the car, and a week later the oil pump goes just to mock you.  :lol:

Reply #2June 28, 2004, 10:51:22 pm

DieselsRcool

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 10:51:22 pm »
Bummer, what went wrong on it?

Oil pumps are pretty simple. Seems like there is not a lot to go wrong if you keep the crap out of the pan.

Reply #3June 29, 2004, 09:12:36 am

type53b_gtd

• Junior

• http://scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca/gtd/
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 09:12:36 am »
If it's in spec clean the pickup screen and throw it back in torqued to spec.  The pumps are capable of ridiculous pressures when the oil is cold, and the only failures (outside of those related to abuse) have been from sticking pressure relief valves causing the oil filter or oil cooler seals to blow out on cold mornings.   I expect that not following oil change intervals and/or not using a diesel rated oil may contribute to this condition.

I usually run the pump in some varsol - you can generally get a good feel for how effective the pump is, and it cleans out the soot - and reinstall it.

Low oil pressure on high mileage engines is often related to bearing wear - especially main and intermediate shaft bearings.  I had one engine  where the intermediate shaft bearings had both all but disintegrated, and there was no oil pressure at the head, and only about 2 pounds at the oil filter at idle when the engine was warm.

Reply #4June 29, 2004, 11:31:53 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 11:31:53 am »
Quote from: "DieselsRcool"
Bummer, what went wrong on it?

Oil pumps are pretty simple. Seems like there is not a lot to go wrong if you keep the crap out of the pan.

i cheated.. that was not from my own personally experience. i have however heard horror stories like that. if you've checked over the pump and are confident that it will last, then i'd do the same thing... just put it back in there.