Author Topic: IDI engine, there IS a future...  (Read 83395 times)

Reply #45March 18, 2006, 01:15:09 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
IDI engine, there IS a future...
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2006, 01:15:09 pm »
That's this thread: http://www.vwdiesel.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=630
"2446" has contributed detailed measurements and pictures there lately, but no one's tried or tested it in a VW IDI motor yet that I am aware of.
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #46March 18, 2006, 06:41:33 pm

andy2

« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2006, 06:41:33 pm »
I know that the GM 6.5td (IDI) pistons have this "mod" on thier pistons and I'm pretty sure the 6.2's form the 80's have this too,So its definitely not somthing new.I probably should have done this to my pistons (aaz) but they are ceramic coated now :x too late,mabye I'll do it anyways :twisted:.

Reply #47March 18, 2006, 06:47:20 pm

ricosuave

• Junior

« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2006, 06:47:20 pm »
would love to see someone try this...

maybe if i end up picking up that cheap 1.6 rabbit ill look into it...
Now: 00 2dr Golf TDI, 03 Jetta Wagon TDI, 02 2500HD Duramax - :)
Then: 69 SC Transporter, 84 Rabbit GTI, 87 Fox GL, 91 Golf IDI, 96 Passat Wagon TDI, 97 Jetta IDI - :(
"Everything I save by driving diesel I put back due to poor German engineering and crappy Mexican workmanship!"   :P

Reply #48April 06, 2006, 03:13:01 pm

PapaG

« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2006, 03:13:01 pm »
I checked with the megasquirt forum and perfect power in Austrila on ecu. Megasguirt is a batch injection setup. It means 1/2 the injectors will squirt at one time and then the other half on the next injector time. Perfect power didn't have anything. (I am on their mail list. I have not asked SDS on their sequensital Injection system) I guy in england is devolping a diesel ECU.

I was looking to do the same thing with the GM 5.7 diesel, which is a IDI system, to get away from the michancial staydne pump.

I always thought the TDI would be better. I have owned 2, a 97 Passat 5 sp, and a 01 Golf automatic. I bought a diesel rabbit new in 80 with a 4sp and while it was not a dog, it sure did lack in power. Nothing like my 2 TDI's

There is a guy on the Vanagon and TDI conversion mail list that converts a TDI injection to a machanicle pump  for the TDI. It uses some Fiat parts and parts from the 1.6 diesel and the TDI pump.

Richard
Republic of Texas
Richard "PapaG" Grune
Club Hot Water
Who are you calling a Redneck?
Not while I have my .44 gun

Reply #49May 07, 2006, 04:52:52 am

TDIMeister

• Veteran

« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2006, 04:52:52 am »
I thought I'd bring this thread back up.  I read the patents referenced by the author quoted in Marc's original post that started this thread.  Extremely interesting, and completely backs what I understand of the IDI combustion process.

The author apparently works for Daimler-Chrysler in Auburn Hills (at least at the time of the patent filing).

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?u=%2Fnetahtml%2Fsrchnum.htm&Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&r=1&l=50&f=G&d=PALL&s1=%206065441.PN.&OS=PN/6065441&RS=PN/6065441

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect2=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%%2FPTO%%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&d=PALL&RefSrch=yes&Query=PN%2F5417189

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect2=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%%2FPTO%%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&d=PALL&RefSrch=yes&Query=PN%2F5392744

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect2=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%%2FPTO%%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&d=PALL&RefSrch=yes&Query=PN%2F5309879

It appears that a variant of Regueiro's invention can be implemented on the VW IDIs with some machining of the piston crown to extend the flow-guiding "leaves" as Jake calls them and route the outlet of the swirl chamber to the clearance formed by the as yet non-existent valve relief pockets on the piston, rather than to confine the torch of flame issuing from the swirl chamber to the leaves.

The primary advantage of this is, as Regueiro states, to allow piston-to valve clearances that permit timings that are more optimum for breathing and minimized recompression pumping work; and to spread out the flame torch over a larger area on the piston crown for reduced thermal loadings.  The issue is that the compression ratio will be reduced, and the key is that this does not adversely affect cold-start and low-speed, low-load operation.

If this can be achieved, the reduced compression ratio will also allow to maintain safe peak cylinder pressures at high-boost levels.  Compression ratios of around 19.5:1 on the IDI, if it's adequate for cold-start, etc., would safely support much higher boost levels.

To address cold-start issues with a reduced compression ratio, in reading about the design of the prechambers, I wondered out loud whether someone would have the means to  manufacture a ceramic pre-chamber that replaces both the bottom- and top halves.  This would reduce heat transfer losses, and give more flexibility of the location and size of the transfer port.  I would be happy to offer the design services if someone works in the ceramic sintering industry and can obtain "pucks" as they are called and can get them machined.

Anyone who would like to discuss this is more detail, feel free to shoot me a line at oh.dave (at) gmail dot com.

Reply #50May 09, 2006, 01:02:34 am

TDForNow

• Junior

« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2006, 01:02:34 am »
I'm a little overwhelmed with the sciences of this thread, but I think between what I've read here as well as in a few other topics, it looks like the "lowly" IDI still has a lot of undeveloped, very promising potential.

Just might have changed my mind from ditching my IDI for a TDI come rebuild time for my "Q"!

If anyone needs it, I've got a bad head (cracked to the w/j in #2) from an MD 1.6TD Solid lifter that I'll donate to research.
'85 Quantum 1.6TD
'04 Passat 2.0 8vTDI

Reply #51May 09, 2006, 01:32:34 am

malone

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Malone Tuning Ltd.
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2006, 01:32:34 am »
Just might have changed my mind from ditching my IDI for a TDI come rebuild time for my "Q"!

That's what I did.. I had a ALH TDI longblock with a freshly rebuilt head and performance cam.. an upgraded turbo too. I eventually decided to go IDI instead so I grabbed the turbo off the TDI and I haven't regretted it. The power/smoke ratio with the IDI was amazing and there's tons more potential left. The ALH TDI's block has stronger stock internals though, that makes it easier for some who don't want to change everything. Haven't bent my 1.6TD rods @ 37 PSI boost with a flowed head and 100% extra fueling btw. The TDI's main highlights are low RPM torque and fuel mileage.
http://www.tunezilla.com
93 Eurovan AHU TDI
96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI - I bought it back!
97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L 1Z TDI - sold and missed
11 Golf 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Stage 4
14 Golf Wagon 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Sold
17 BMW 328d wagon - Sold
09 BMW 335d 3.0L

Reply #52May 09, 2006, 03:27:47 am

TDIMeister

• Veteran

« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2006, 03:27:47 am »
The following is a reply I posted in a thread at TDIClub entitled, "DI vs. IDI, interesting article posted on the GTD forum."  I thought it would elicit good debate here. :)

http://vwdiesel.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2329

Basically, to summarize...

An IDI with a VNT and an intercooler actually can be more efficient and powerful than a TDI.

It's just that heat loss problem, and it looks like they're working on fixing that, too.

Apparently the IDIs produce less NOx, too.

Hmm...

Small correction: an IDI can potentially match the performance of the TDI on a displacement basis. But it will always incur a fuel consumption penalty because the inherent nature of the design has greater heat transfer losses and throttling losses though the transfer port between the swirl- and main combustion chambers.

BUT! Going back to performance, the trend in Diesel engine design over the past few years has been to reduce compression ratios for two reasons: the main one has been that increased power ratings of the engines necessitate reducing the CR to maintain peak cylinder pressures to levels that can be withstood by the engine structure. Secondly is that compression ratios have been higher than is actually optimal for best efficiency, in order to offset the need for good cold-starting and low-load, low-speed operation characteristics.

DI can run just fine with CRs down to as low as 16:1. Toyota's 2.2L 180HP D4-D engine has a CR of only 15:8:1. Large truck, locomotive, and marine engines can tolerate even lower compression ratios and have still greater thermal efficiencies than small Diesel engines with higher compression ratios.

On the other hand, IDI, because of it's heat losses, cannot run well at compression ratios as low as DI. There can be some mitigating design solutions, like the use of ceramics and low-heat-rejection, insulating materials around the combustion chamber. Notwithstanding, however, IDI will still need substantially higher CRs, which means for a given peak cylinder pressure (PCP) limit, which is dictated by the design of the engine structure, you will get to a point where the IDI Diesel will hit a wall. Again, this is not because of limitations of the combustion process, but by thermal and gas pressure stress considerations.  As far as PCP goes, the current state-of-the-art for automotive engines stands at around 180 - 200 bar.  A moderately tuned TDI on the stock compression ratio and slightly increased boost and developing 300 lb.ft. of torque would already achieve these PCP levels.  Therefore, in the interest of durability that is expected in an OEM engine, manufacturers would not further develop IDI technology unless there are breakthroughs in PCP or the ability to run lower CRs with everyday performance, driveability and efficiency that customers would expect.

Of course, that's not going to stop the guys like those at vwdiesel.net from pushing the outputs of the IDI engine ever higher. But the state-of-the-art of DI engine development is not sitting still, either. No one 10 years ago would have imagined that a TDI engine you can buy today would have almost DOUBLE the HP (170 vs. 90) from the factory with only a 0.1L increase in displacement, and in modified form be an eyeshot from making 280 HP/400 lb.ft. An IDI would be very hard pressed to reliably match this. 400 lb.ft. with a 22.5:1 compression ratio, and the boost pressure to support the fuelling at this output level, however you slice is, results in tremendous gas pressure forces and PCPs, and would cause some serious pretzel bending of rods among other badness.

Reply #53May 09, 2006, 08:16:33 am

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2006, 08:16:33 am »
IDI engines tend to be a bit easier on parts than a DI engine of similar power. The throttling effect on the prechamber reduces PCP. The power level required to bend rods in an IDI cannot be fully appreciated unless you have ridden in Andy's car. The cylinder pressures experienced there were no doubt otherworldy, but so was the power. Far, far in excess of any other diesel car I've ridden in. Gerry's TDI pickup would seem positively pedestrian... Also keep in mind that experience has shown that 35-40psi of boost would have destroyed a TDI much sooner. I think it would be safe to say that an IDI can tolerate 2-3 more points of compression than a TDI at the same boost level. Still not likely enough to get reliable sub zero starting and 200hp, but not that far off. Exotic materials for the prechamber and coatings on the pistons and combustion chamber might take it the rest of the way. As usual the only problem is cost, and more cost. A DI engine will still be cheaper to manufacture at high power levels...

Reply #54May 09, 2006, 11:30:45 am

TDIMeister

• Veteran

« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2006, 11:30:45 am »
If there's one thing that IDI has a trump card over DI, it is its ability for higher revs.

I also agree with you, Bruce, about everything you say.  I would just add that many of the advantages that one design has over the other are the result of the compromises that the design makes at the expense of others.  For example, the slower rate of pressure rise in an IDI can result in lower noise, lower NOx emissions and less stresses on the bottom end, but all those things are the direct result of the factors that give DI their converse advantages, namely higher torque, better efficiency and lower other emissions.

As I've said, it's two different ways to skin a cat.  Choose the path for what you want to achieve.

Reply #55May 09, 2006, 11:32:26 am

TDIMeister

• Veteran

« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2006, 11:32:26 am »
By the way, I'm eagerly hoping and waiting that Andy puts his car up on the track beside Gerry's.  Would be very interesting.

Reply #56May 09, 2006, 11:48:09 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2006, 11:48:09 am »
i've been talking to andy about that very thing — we're all eagerly awaiting that day!!!! andy needs to haul at least 600Ibs of additional weight so that should make it at least interesting  :twisted:

Reply #57May 09, 2006, 11:56:28 am

TDIMeister

• Veteran

« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2006, 11:56:28 am »
Quote from: BlackTieTD
andy needs to haul at least 600Ibs of additional weight...

Why?

Reply #58May 09, 2006, 12:03:01 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2006, 12:03:01 pm »
gerry's caddy, if stock, would weigh in at about 1950Ibs IIRC - his is likely a little fatter with all the trick gear he's rigged up.

andy's tubby golf closer to 2575Ibs, if stock - add an extra turbo, big mother intercooler...  :P

Reply #59May 09, 2006, 01:51:40 pm

TDIMeister

• Veteran

« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2006, 01:51:40 pm »
Gerry weighed the truck in at 2400# with him and a 1/2 tank of fuel.