Author Topic: IDI engine, there IS a future...  (Read 83347 times)

Reply #60May 09, 2006, 02:01:45 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

IDI engine, there IS a future...
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2006, 02:01:45 pm »
so about 2200 empty? 400Ibs lighter is probably a safe bet.
hope this happens this summer!

Reply #61May 09, 2006, 02:58:54 pm

malone

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Malone Tuning Ltd.
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2006, 02:58:54 pm »
If there's one thing that IDI has a trump card over DI, it is its ability for higher revs.

Being able to retain torque during high RPM results in more HP leverage. For example, an IDI will only need a paltry 211wtq at 5,000 RPM in order to produce 200whp. The challenge today lies in the fuel pump; it must be able to provide fuel during high RPM without camplate float. Superior Fuel Injection in Ontario will be updating my fuel pump to take care of that. Something as simple as coating the entire prechambers with heat-resistance material (ceramic, etc.) has also yet to be documented on this site. There's much untried potential.

As we already know, the DI intake ports are specially shaped for swirl so there's limited porting/airflow possibilities, which is critical for high RPM.
http://www.tunezilla.com
93 Eurovan AHU TDI
96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI - I bought it back!
97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L 1Z TDI - sold and missed
11 Golf 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Stage 4
14 Golf Wagon 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Sold
17 BMW 328d wagon - Sold
09 BMW 335d 3.0L

Reply #62May 09, 2006, 03:21:39 pm

malone

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Malone Tuning Ltd.
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2006, 03:21:39 pm »
a TDI engine you can buy today would have almost DOUBLE the HP (170 vs. 90) from the factory with only a 0.1L increase in displacement, and in modified form be an eyeshot from making 280 HP/400 lb.ft. An IDI would be very hard pressed to reliably match this. 400 lb.ft. with a 22.5:1 compression ratio,

That TDI you speak of is a 16v with improved airflow. Comparing 16v to 8v is apples to oranges. It is not available in NA either. Anyway, to keep the IDI vs. TDI discussion consistent, perhaps it would be better to keep it 8v?

You mentioned daily performance/practicality. 400lb-ft will require a fairly stiff clutch that could reduce traffic/daily driving comfort. The general drivetrain reliability or FWD traction with street tires may also be a concern. A comparible TDI with VE pump and 8v with 200whp is extremely rare here, although we've seen a handful of 170whp 350wtq examples. There hasn't been an IDI with proven 200whp either.. I don't think VW diesel tuning became very popular until the TDI days so there's only a small group of us still tinkering with IDI.

Especially in TDIs, it is easy to have too much torque and not enough HP. An IDI's powerband with peak torque between 4,000 to 5,000 RPM may arguably be more usable in a FWD vehicle used on street and on the track.

The turbo setup used in my 1.6L IDI is in fact the Upsolute Stage III marketed towards TDIs. On a TDI it supposedly dynoed approx. 170whp. With no intercooling, stock cam, and a basically stock block, my 1.6L in a fully loaded 1997 Golf managed to outperform a MK3 VR6 (172hp/155whp). I haven't raced any 170whp-plus vehicles. I also had wheelspin near 4,000 RPM in 3rd on dry, level road, albeit with all-season tires. Unlike the TDI version with the same turbo kit, My IDI had zero smoke in the entire RPM range, with a 9mm pump head and stock injectors. Yes, stock injectors. I don't have hard data like a timeslip as I haven't gone to a track during Winter, but the personal experience left me thrilled.

My next pump update will include a 12mm. Custom fuel injector nozzles were recently acquired from Dieselicous. I am very concerned about the 12mm's RPM limitation, but Superior Fuel said they have some tricks so we'll see. I'm going to have 10mm or 11mm standby just in case.

After the pump's IQ was cranked up to the max, I finally had some WOT smoke below 3,000 RPM. Peak torque was 4,000 RPM. The camplate in the pump started floating at around that RPM, resulting in gradual fuel loss and the torque peak stopped rising.

In case you're wondering, no the 1.6L with the GT20 turbo wasn't sluggish at all during low RPM. It had more get-go than a VW 2.0L 8v gas engine. The GT20 turned out to be too small with too much backpressure. A nice daily driver turbo, but it doesn't suit my max. HP goal. You probably saw the early picture of compound turbos that 935racer set up.

Last fall, my brand new IDI's compression was so low that the engine could not idle on its own unless I revved it and put load on the engine for a minute. The engine still fired up after the 1st crank though, even with a small gas starter motor.

After about 4K or 6K miles and switching from a 3-hole to a 1-hole headgasket, the engine was able to idle on its own during cold start in Winter. I went to Aircare and passed with 2.##% exhaust opacity, below the average passing diesels and well below the 30% limit.

I wonder how much ceramic coating the head will improve cold starts, anyway I daily drove the car at minimum 1 hour 30 minutes each day. I think at that compression (likely in the 350's, below the 412 wear limit) the engine can still handle a lot more power, we'll see.

Heck, very low compression probably isn't needed if I only want to make 211 wheel torque at 5,000 RPM for 200whp. PCP shouldn't be a big concern then, and it'd still do perfectly fine for daily driving.

The wall for IDI performance still remains to be seen :?:
93 Eurovan AHU TDI
17 BMW 328d wagon - Sold
09 BMW 335d 3.0L

Reply #63May 09, 2006, 05:48:52 pm

andy2

« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2006, 05:48:52 pm »
My 91 jetta weighed 2700lbs with full tank of fuel and two turbos.I susupect the golf 94 golf would weigh a little more but not much.

Reply #64May 09, 2006, 05:55:56 pm

andy2

« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2006, 05:55:56 pm »
The actual weight of the 94 golf with 17's on it could be closer to 2950lbs :shock:.Gerry better have 50 hp more beacuse I sure Have reworked mine considerably from last time and I wasn't far off his power IMO.

Reply #65May 09, 2006, 06:07:32 pm

TDIMeister

• Veteran

« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2006, 06:07:32 pm »
Quote from: malone

That TDI you speak of is a 16v with improved airflow. Comparing 16v to 8v is apples to oranges. It is not available in NA either. Anyway, to keep the IDI vs. TDI discussion consistent, perhaps it would be better to keep it 8v?

Touche.

You mentioned daily performance/practicality. 400lb-ft will require a fairly stiff clutch that could reduce traffic/daily driving comfort. The general drivetrain reliability or FWD traction with street tires may also be a concern. A comparible TDI with VE pump and 8v with 200whp is extremely rare here, although we've seen a handful of 170whp 350wtq examples. There hasn't been an IDI with proven 200whp either.. I don't think VW diesel tuning became very popular until the TDI days so there's only a small group of us still tinkering with IDI.

Especially in TDIs, it is easy to have too much torque and not enough HP. An IDI's powerband with peak torque between 4,000 to 5,000 RPM may arguably be more usable in a FWD vehicle used on street and on the track.

A TDI does not strictly need to have 400 ft.lb of torque to make 200 HP.  This is a choice of the programmer to take advantage of the fact that the DI concept can take more fuelling at low RPMs without reaching the smoke limit.  Many people like the driving feeling of having tons of torque down low; others only like driving high-revving gassers.  I'm somewhere in between.

If a hypothetical TDI could produce 211 lb.ft of torque at 5000 RPM (not saying it has or can be), you know that you can make the rest of the torque curve almost look like anything you want (within limits), like that of an IDI or a broad straight line like a 2.0T gasser.  But that squanders all the low-end torque potential that the TDI has.

At the end of the day, it's a preference thing of the driver, and as I've always championed, you make your choices on what suits your preference.

The turbo setup used in my 1.6L IDI is in fact the Upsolute Stage III marketed towards TDIs. On a TDI it supposedly dynoed approx. 170whp. With no intercooling, stock cam, and a basically stock block, my 1.6L in a fully loaded 1997 Golf managed to outperform a MK3 VR6 (172hp/155whp). I haven't raced any 170whp-plus vehicles. I also had wheelspin near 4,000 RPM in 3rd on dry, level road, albeit with all-season tires. Unlike the TDI version with the same turbo kit, My IDI had zero smoke in the entire RPM range, with a 9mm pump head and stock injectors. Yes, stock injectors. I don't have hard data like a timeslip as I haven't gone to a track during Winter, but the personal experience left me thrilled.

Nice, I look forward to see some dyno numbers.  I have ridden in some fiercely quick TDIs as well, including Gerry's truck.  After all the hearsay, a dyno plot -- for all its questionable-ness -- is still the one way we can compare apples-to-apples.  Gerry is arranging on a dyno day likely in June, and I'm excited to see what if anything the cam I designed does in his ride.

My next pump update will include a 12mm. Custom fuel injector nozzles were recently acquired from Dieselicous. I am very concerned about the 12mm's RPM limitation, but Superior Fuel said they have some tricks so we'll see. I'm going to have 10mm or 11mm standby just in case.

After the pump's IQ was cranked up to the max, I finally had some WOT smoke below 3,000 RPM. Peak torque was 4,000 RPM. The camplate in the pump started floating at around that RPM, resulting in gradual fuel loss and the torque peak stopped rising.

I posted a long time ago expressing my interest to see what Giles could do with the electronic VE TDI pump.  I have a brand-new AHU pump with one of Marc's 12mm heads that's sitting 7000 km from me in Gerry's garage.  The offer now is the same as it was before: I'd gladly donate that pump to Giles (or anyone for that matter) as his development mule for him to work his magic on it.  Between Gerry and I, the cost will not be in issue when it actually does something.

Reply #66May 09, 2006, 06:12:18 pm

TDIMeister

• Veteran

« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2006, 06:12:18 pm »
The actual weight of the 94 golf with 17's on it could be closer to 2950lbs :shock:.Gerry better have 50 hp more beacuse I sure Have reworked mine considerably from last time and I wasn't far off his power IMO.

Andy, we all look forward to the showdown, whenever it should happen (hopefully very soon!)  :lol:

Reply #67May 09, 2006, 10:32:32 pm

andy2

« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2006, 10:32:32 pm »
My project is coming along pretty slow lately :x .However things are starting to come together now,with the only issue being that I want to do some back to back testing of cams  and 12mm vs 9mm heads. This was all planned to happen after the engine actually runs which will be a while yet.I could have just slapped  the stg 3 cam and 12mm head in there but with lowering the compression,changing turbos,car etc...I need to see what things are doing when changed one part at a time.

Anyhow nothing like a good old IDI/TDI showdown.BTW we still need to talk Gerry into getting a proper(quick reacting) EGT gauge and have it reading the temp before the turbo.I know his EGT's are not sustainable in the 1/4 mile.Honestly,I'm just concearned about his engine and not about bashing his egt gauge.

Reply #68May 10, 2006, 01:22:41 am

TDIMeister

• Veteran

« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2006, 01:22:41 am »
Anyhow nothing like a good old IDI/TDI showdown.BTW we still need to talk Gerry into getting a proper(quick reacting) EGT gauge and have it reading the temp before the turbo.I know his EGT's are not sustainable in the 1/4 mile.Honestly,I'm just concearned about his engine and not about bashing his egt gauge.

Yes, I totally agree that you two need to get into more dialogue. :)  I believe you two will mutually benefit and great things will come about if you two are putting your collective heads together.  Nothing will give me more pleasure than to have braggin rights to the fastest Diesel (TDI or IDI, doesn't matter) in Canada as opposed to the European -- particularly British -- threat :lol:  I talk to Gerry very often, and we spent Easter in Holland and the following weekend in Germany when he came for a European vacation.  

Pictures

As for the EGT issue, the three main contributing factors to EGT are 1) if combustion duration is extended due to retarded start of injection timing or extending the end of injection to increase fuelling;  2) if you're running insufficient boost for the given power output; 3) running a poorly matched turbo and poor- or no intercooling.

Anytime we're talking about engines making double or more of the rated factory output, sure you're running much higher thermal and mechanical stresses, and it doesn't matter if the engine is DI, IDI or gasser.  I'd like to hear what is your rationale for your concern for the EGTs in Gerry's motor.

I would argue that a highly rated IDI has greater issues concerning blown head gaskets and such (the components affected by the high PCPs), and the invisible killer that is the thermal stresses, particularly manifested by cracks in the area of the swirl-chamber and the valve bridge.  You can only imagine the immense heat fluxes that are occuring in the chamber and transfer port.

Reply #69May 10, 2006, 06:30:52 am

TDForNow

• Junior

« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2006, 06:30:52 am »
First  off.. TDIMeister, the wife an I want to know if you're avaliable as a guide? Fantastic photos! Where are these museums located? We were in Germany 15 years ago for only 18 hrs (Navy training flight where we couldn't convince the Plane Commander that the plane still shouldn't be flown yet  :roll: :( ). We flew into Rhein-Main AB outside of Frankfurt, "borrowed" a car :mrgreen: and drove to see an old friend at Sembach AB outside of Kaiserslautern. We DEFINITELY wanted to stay and see more! If things go well, maybe in the next year or two 8) .

Anyway... back on topic, heres my dumb question :oops: ... How does air get into the prechamber to start the ignition process and what effect would it have if you were able to get more air in there?

Alain
'85 Quantum 1.6TD
'04 Passat 2.0 8vTDI

Reply #70May 10, 2006, 06:48:36 am

TDIMeister

• Veteran

« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2006, 06:48:36 am »
Thank you for the compliments, Alain.  Yes, I'm available as a guide :) It was actually something I thought of doing during my holidays from studies.  Alas, I have no real holidays to speak of, but I will post more pics from an upcoming 2-week, 8-country European road trip  :D

Anyway, air simply flows anytime there is a pressure difference.  In the simplest explanation, it's by the same phenomenon that we experience wind (because of differences of local atmospheric pressure; of course there are other effects, like heating convection from the sun, etc.).  In an engine, the moving piston displaces the air that is trapped in the cylinder and increases the pressure.  Because of the property that air is a compressible gas, it takes a finite amount of time for the pressure to equalize throughout the trapped volume, so until that time, there is a flow of air molecules from a region of higher pressure to one of lower pressure.

If you get more air in a volume, whether an engine cylinder or anything else, it simply means that you trap more air molecules (specifically the oxygen component of that air), that's available to burn more fuel.  That's what turbos do: pre-compress the air before it goes into the engine so that you have a greater amount or mass of air to burn more fuel to get more power.

Reply #71May 10, 2006, 12:43:06 pm

andy2

« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2006, 12:43:06 pm »
The VDO EGT gauge that Gerry is/was using was really slow reacting,others would agree.A vdo egt gauge is good for a transport truck pulling up a hill where it does't need to be quick reacting unlike our race engines that pump out lots of heat real quick.Also with the probe being installed far from the turbo outlet on the downpipe this would lower the egt probably 325-350 deg.

Reply #72May 10, 2006, 01:16:24 pm

TDForNow

• Junior

« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2006, 01:16:24 pm »
I'm sorry for my vague question. What I was wondering was, what effects would there be to the pre-chamber and ignition quality, if a way was found to get more air into the pre-chamber? Would it defeat the purpose of the pre-chamber (speed control of ignition, as I understand it)?
'85 Quantum 1.6TD
'04 Passat 2.0 8vTDI

Reply #73May 10, 2006, 02:15:03 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2006, 02:15:03 pm »
 Would it defeat the purpose of the pre-chamber (speed control of ignition, as I understand it)?

The purpose of the prechamber is to improve the speed and the quality of charge mixing. The extreme turbulence generated in the prechamber is what allows an IDI engine burn cleanly and produce good torque at high rpm. The prechamber has a side effect of reduced combustion noise due to the softer pressure rise in the main combustion chamber.

If the prechamber orifice size was increased high rpm power might improve. This would probably come at the expense of low rpm power/smoke and idle quality. It would also increase engine noise. Everything is a tradeoff...

Reply #74May 11, 2006, 05:40:57 pm

malone

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Malone Tuning Ltd.
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2006, 05:40:57 pm »
the fact that the DI concept can take more fuelling at low RPMs without reaching the smoke limit.

Shouldn't that advantage be attributed to VNT technology, not DI technology? Although VNT has been tested on an IDI with a broader powerband as a result (more low RPM torque and more high RPM torque with less boost), the VNT diaghram must be modified to function mechanically.. so it might be fair to credit DI for the advantage of being able to produce more low RPM torque with less smoke (assuming it has VNT turbo, of course).
93 Eurovan AHU TDI
17 BMW 328d wagon - Sold
09 BMW 335d 3.0L