Author Topic: Fuel pump replacement for '94 1.9 TD AAZ. Chance to upgrade?  (Read 8746 times)

October 28, 2005, 10:08:19 am

Lum

• User+

Fuel pump replacement for '94 1.9 TD AAZ. Chance to upgrade?
« on: October 28, 2005, 10:08:19 am »
I've been told by my mechanic that my fuel pump is leaking and needs a replacement, I either need to be looking at an expensive reconditioned one, or a low mileage one from a scrap yard.

However, this is an ideal chance to upgrade? What are my options here that will go on fairly easilly and allow me to up the power a bit.

I plan to upgrade the turbo and fit an intercooler in the future, so it would be handy to get this part upgraded now, rather than spend additional money later.

Will a TDI one bolt on, is it worth it, any other options or ideas?

Edit: '94 not 99, sorry.

Reply #1October 30, 2005, 10:05:09 am

DieselMonkey

• Junior

ebay
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 10:05:09 am »
Hi,

I notice your in the UK.

There is a 1996 AAZ 1.9TD pump on eBay at the minute. Ends in 4 days. I think the sellers statement of a £520 recon is a bit off, they can be totally rebuilt for £350 or so, but still, maybe thats what he paid for a repair inc. fitting etc..

Its looks like a good pump, I paid £350 2 months ago for complete rebuild of my 1.9TD pump and injectors. Wish somthing like this had come along then !

DM

Reply #2October 30, 2005, 10:18:56 am

Lum

• User+

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 10:18:56 am »
Do you have a link at all? I cannot find it on ebay, only a water pump for that engine.

Reply #3October 30, 2005, 11:23:48 am

Lum

• User+

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 11:23:48 am »
My mechanic seems to think that the bearings are gone as well.

At the moment I can live with it, as it's still far more efficient than the other cars in the house and the only actual problem it's causing is difficulty starting due to drainback.

OTOH, the belts will need doing soon, so I'd like to do any pump replacement at the same time.

I guess I'm looking at replacing it with the same kind though? Is there no upgrade path?

Reply #4October 30, 2005, 02:54:27 pm

DieselMonkey

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 02:54:27 pm »
yeah,

heres the link.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/vw-1-9-turbo-diesel-pump_W0QQitemZ8010666152QQcategoryZ9889QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Apart from changing the boost enrichment pin to one which has a more aggressive profile, there isnt really a well proven pump upgrade for the 1.9TD. Our AAZ's have 9mm plungers, the upgrade would be to find a pump with a 10 or 11mm piston head. I think several have done it, but unless you have serious boost, intercooler and an engine in good condition, the increase in fuelling would likely just create a lot of smoke and reduce the life of the motor. A 1.9TD pump with 1.6GTD boost enrichment pin is still an excellent pump to run.

The AAZ, known in Germany as the Umwelt TD (environment), didnt leave the factory with its full potential realised, thankfully, its quite simple to get much more power from the AAZ. The pump is only set for 75 hp, and the boost pin gives little enrichment compared to the boost pin you would remove from a Peugoet, Renault or Ford TD with Bosch pump.

Get a good pump fitted, new belt and tensioner, increase the boost with a manual boost controller and then start to increase the fuelling with the full load fuel screw below the LDA device. Better to change the boost pin before tuning if you plan on changing it. If you need one, I have 2 that match the 1.6L GTD, more than good enough, and another more aggressive one from a 2.2L Renault TD, that engine probably had a 10mm pump.

Let us know how you get on.

DM

Reply #5October 30, 2005, 04:30:57 pm

VWRacer

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 04:30:57 pm »
DM, can you post of photo of the GTD and the 2.2 boost pins side-by-side with a ruler for size reference? I am sure many here would like to see them.

Thanks! :D
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #6October 30, 2005, 08:37:36 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 08:37:36 pm »
And if you find you want a nice 10mm head upgrade for your pump I have a low miles one, about 20k on a TDI 10mm head that is just sitting here and will bolt right into your pump. :)

Joe
1979 Rabbit mTDI crazy $*(\%& bunny...
1972 VW Westfalia
2009 VW Tiguan SE 2.0T (Wife's car)
2001 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster (something newer :) )

Reply #7October 30, 2005, 08:42:21 pm

Lum

• User+

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2005, 08:42:21 pm »
Thanks for the link. I was searching for various pumps with AAZ in the description.

It's definately the same one though, yes?

Reply #8October 31, 2005, 02:21:46 am

DieselMonkey

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 02:21:46 am »
guys,

I will do my best to post pics of the 3 boost pins I have. The 2.2L renault pin is the same dia. to fit the bore, and the same overall length, just the profile of the taper is different. Compared to the GTD's - Fat at the bottom and thinner at the top.

DM

Reply #9October 31, 2005, 09:01:40 am

Lum

• User+

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 09:01:40 am »
Well, it turns out my insurance wont cover me for turbo and intercooler upgrades, but will cover fuel pump modifications as they dont class that as a performance mod.

So, what can I do just by messing with the fuel pump to up the power safely without needing to do anything to the turbo?

Also, does anyone know any good suppliers of VW bits and upgrades in the UK? I'm after a decent set of belts, crank pulley + bolt and some braded brake hoses and decent pads.

Edit: And some polyurethane suspension bushes too.

Reply #10October 31, 2005, 03:43:01 pm

DieselMonkey

• Junior

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2005, 03:43:01 pm »
Hi,

I have owned and insured several VW D and TD's. My mk3 1.9D was the same insurance group as my 1.9TDi mk3. (both group 9)

If I where you, I would simply fit the intercooler and pipework from a mk3 TDi and insure it as a mk3 TDi. That is exactly what I will be doing when I next insure my mk3 1.9D > TD conversion. It has all the mk3 TDi intercooler setup and turbo. Even if you did have a pretty serious accident, what insurance guy is going to notice that it hasnt got an electronic pump ?

Its not like your trying to insure a mk2 GTD w/ 1.9TD engine as a 1.6... who would try that !   :D (dont look at me !)

As for the other parts, vwspares.co.uk have many of the parts you have mentioned, but they wont have the crank sprocket or main crank bolt. The sproket is £20 from a main dealer and the bolt is about £3. Just ask the dealer for trade price and you'll most likely get a 15 - 20% discount. The alt. belt is £17 and PAS is £3 - £4. The most important thing however is to get a good pump fitted, it will make the biggest difference, as well as the boost increase of course.

DM

Reply #11October 31, 2005, 04:18:47 pm

Lum

• User+

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2005, 04:18:47 pm »
I'll just wait 10 months until the insurance runs out and then change insurers to one who are less annoying. I didn't actually plan to start upgrading until the summer anyway, just the dead fuel pump has forced my hand a little.

Oh and it turns out that my GF has a Bosch service centre down the road from her work. They're happy to fix my pump but wont give me a price on the work until they've seen it, so that will have to wait until my Legacy is back on the road.

Reply #12November 01, 2005, 07:21:06 am

DieselMonkey

• Junior

pump on ebay
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2005, 07:21:06 am »
guys,

Sorry if I have led someone to bid on the pump, but I just noticed that the main shaft nut is not on there, so whoever removed the pump didnt know what they where doing and has just lost the pumps static timing.

That pump would need attention before fitting. Notice how the seller avoided that small detail !

Regards, DM

Reply #13November 01, 2005, 07:32:09 am

Lum

• User+

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2005, 07:32:09 am »
I've not bit on it yet, and I must say thank you for that information. I was going to wait until near the end of the auction then throw a lot of money onto it to make sure I got it.

Armed with that information, and that the Bosch people down the road seem to think they can fix the pump without removing it from the car, I think I'll get my existing pump done there.

Edit: The Bosch place (a company called Diesel Injection, and do Bosch stuff, right on my doorstep, how lucky is that!) want £170 to fix the fault, or £400 for a full overhaul. Is it worth doing the full overhaul on the pump, I get a years gurantee, but will the car's performance be improved and/or will it make the engine less grumbly at low revs.  They wont upgrade the pump for me though, so there's a job for next year when I do the turbo.

Reply #14November 01, 2005, 10:29:42 am

DieselMonkey

• Junior

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2005, 10:29:42 am »
Yeah,

If there willing to do the work on the car, its obviously not serious and your probably looking at £100 max ! Good job you didnt buy that pump on eBay.

I wouldnt even mention the boost pin to them, ask them to repair the pump and you can easily do the boost pin replacment yourself.

Its a very simple device. You basically remove the 4 screws around the top of the LDA device and lift the lid off. Have a rag handy because more than likely, there will be a fair bit of oil in there. Now, for peace of mind, use a black permenant marker to mark a line on the cast of the pump and then a reference on the steel washer on the top of the old pin. Its all one peice the boost pin. Hardend steel pin at the bottom, meets a steel washer, then a rubber diaphram and another steel washer above that, all held together with an M5 thread / nut I think.

Once you have a reference mark which will allow you to remove the pin knowing that you can put it back more or less as it was at the factory, pull the pin out and replace with the new tapered pin, which will allow more travel on the small follower that you can see coming through the side of the pump casting.

Screw the lid back on and go for a run. This mod will be most effective when you install a boost controller and increase the fuel delivery.

I will be posting images of the boost pins later, with a bit of luck.

hope this helps, regards, DM

Fixmyvw.com