Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: where to get a tow hitch for Rabbit  (Read 5595 times)

October 26, 2005, 12:13:39 am

girl Mark

where to get a tow hitch for Rabbit
« on: October 26, 2005, 12:13:39 am »
I've got an 83 or 84 Rabbit and I'm looking for a Class 1 hitch to mount on it- any recommendations on where to get one in the US? are they even available or do I have to build one myself?

Mark

Reply #1October 26, 2005, 01:05:19 am

mortskeg

• Junior

• http://www.vwcaddy.com
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 01:05:19 am »
Hi girl mark,
I found a class 1 hitch for my audi at Wally world (walmart) earlier this year; however, it was on clearance and I haven't seen them there since.  The thing is with the audi 4000, the place to mount it would be to the bottom of the trunk, which like the sheet metal on the rabbit, is not very strong.

If I was going to slap a hitch on a regular rabbit, I'd probably utilize the bumper, even though this is probably not recommended since it is technically not a 'fixed' thing, but I'm sure it's stronger then going through the floor and I'm sure that the loads imposed by a class 1 application (<2000 lbs) would not be enough to compress the gas bumper shock.

I'd almost be tempted to get one of those class 2 reciever deals that is basically just a 90 deg piece of metal with one of those square recievers.  I'd probably mount this to the underside of the bumper and then you can use your choice of square hitch deals to get the apprpriate height for the ball.  That and you could remove the ball and hitch bar when not in use.  That or just drill 2 holes in the bottom of your bumper for the safety chain, one hole in the top, slap a ball in and call it good. :shock:   But then you'd have a hole in the top of your bumper. :lol:

I guess if you were going to mount the class one to the body you could reinforce the inside of the spare tire well with some steel flat bar, just drill holes in the appropriate locations and this would probably work fine.  In fact this is what I'll probably end up doing to the 4000.  Then you just have to make sure you have clearance with the bumper.

Sorry about the lenghty response, I guess the quick answer is walmart, just wanted to pass this along so you don't end up with a noodle hitch like my 4000.  Too bad the rabbit doesn't have solid bumper mounts like the pickup.

BTW I've been enjoying the homebrew guide.

Hope this helps.

Reply #2October 26, 2005, 02:54:37 am

girl Mark

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 02:54:37 am »
hey, thanks for the homebrew guide comment. I cant' escape running into that "b-word" it seems even if I venture into other forums.

But anyway, surely we've got solid metal SOMEWHERE on these vehicles without resorting to the bumper?

how well does that Jetta stop that boat trailer in your photo?

Mark

Reply #3October 26, 2005, 07:30:16 am

Justin

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 07:30:16 am »
you could always find a caddy bumper and put it on the rabbit, i know that the mounting flanges would be a little different but no big deal to fab up.

the other options that i would explore for mounting to solid metal is going wide around the spare tire area and mounting to the 2 "framerails" then coming down and have like a 1.5 inch thick walled steel square stock to span the distance and have a class one hitch reciever welded to that
www.archeryprostaffmi.com
1985 GMC pickup 4x4 lift kit and runs 14.625 @ 91mph
1982 VW rabbit pickup 1.6L just rebuilt, 100mm cv's, 02A transmission
1997 Geo Tracker 1.9 TDI-M, variable gate turbo, Giles Pump

Reply #4October 26, 2005, 08:39:47 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 08:39:47 am »
the caddy and rabbit rear bumper mounting is entirely different. would probably be easier to bolt a hitch to the standard rabbit bumper if taking this approach.

my friend just had a hitch fabbed up at a local shop for his 90 pathfinder. i'm sure there is a pre-made option for his truck, but it was easy for them to whip up a few pieces of bar into a very sturdy structure for the hitch. bolted to the underbody of the truck, then welded. that's your best bet for durability and strength. his setup wasn't expensive and fully installed... he just dropped the truck off.

Reply #5October 26, 2005, 10:54:22 am

VWRacer

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 10:54:22 am »
I found this one for $59 on eBay for an '85-and-later Jetta. Slightly different to your car, but with a little massaging, I'll bet it would work.
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #6October 26, 2005, 12:59:02 pm

mortskeg

• Junior

• http://www.vwcaddy.com
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 12:59:02 pm »
Had another thought- I know that some of the rabbits (the gti for sure) had solid front bumper brackets.  I don't know if these will mount into the back or if they are different- I would suspect that they probably are.

Quote from: "girl Mark"
how well does that Jetta stop that boat trailer in your photo?
Mark

You're not the first to think that it's a jetta.  It's actually a audi 4000 CS quattro and it does a great job, with stock discs all around.  The boat is actually much lighter than you'd think. (<1300lbs for the whole deal) and actually is within spec according to the audi owners manual, if you can believe that. :)

Reply #7October 26, 2005, 10:17:44 pm

moosiah

• Junior

hitchs for bunny cars
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 10:17:44 pm »
Hi allI tow a 14' FJ sail boat w my rabbit.. I used a hitch that came on the back of one of the 60's splitwindow dodge(  :twisted: a unique and sick obssion of mine) vans in the way back yard. The hitch uses chaines and hook plates to attach to the bumper..... My buddy Joe just made a plate w a reciever tube that he bolted on to the top of his steel bumper.:shock:..... I want to make a hitch that hides inside my ally bumper w just a square hole showing out the back.. I'll use 2 plates, one bolted to the top inside, one to the bottom inside w the receiver tube just flush w the back outside of the bumper...  2 plates to reinforce the big hole I cut into the bumper!!!!!! 8)
 Hey !! those wheels on th audi are the same ones on the frankenbunny!
I just switched the rear springs from the stock ones to cabrio springs,,, they are tapered, w 1 extra coil....... change the spring seats too 'cause the cabby srings are bigger in dia as well as larger wire too. NOT for the low rider look. :wink: ...... lifted the back about a inch,,,,, now I can carry a bigger tool pack to those hotel set jobs I do. :) ......I'm goingto swap out the front springs too ,,, after I measure them ! who knows I may have to change the name of my car to the Jack Rabbit!!!!! :lol:
'81 Frankenbunny: part rabbit, sirroco, golf ,caddy cabrio ,jedda and ! ford teimpo! w a little more Audi and soon some Peogeot too!!!!

Reply #8October 27, 2005, 01:00:45 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
trailer hitch
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 01:00:45 am »
I've seen them over on the vortex.
 The ones I've been looking at bolt to the bumper with another bar that goes back and connects to a piece that bolts to each side of the spare tire well.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #9October 29, 2005, 10:35:03 am

greggearhead

• Junior

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2005, 10:35:03 am »
I just sold one on ebay - sorry.  But they are out there used.  I would  watch ebay.  An old autocross buddy made one.  He removed his bumper, used 1/2" flat stock to replace the bumper mounts, and a piece of square steel tubing to connect the two.  Was plenty beefy for his tiny trailer with tires.  For real towing, I would recomment bolting it in 2 different planes.  The one I just sold bolted to the bumper, as well as the two lower, outer "frame" points just inside of the rear sheetmetal at the outer edges.  I have a pic if you want me to post it.
Caddy (TD Project), Caddy 1.6D, etc etc.

Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection

Reply #10October 29, 2005, 12:08:19 pm

VWRacer

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2005, 12:08:19 pm »
Yes, please post the photo.  :D
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #11October 29, 2005, 01:30:37 pm

greggearhead

• Junior

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2005, 01:30:37 pm »
Caddy (TD Project), Caddy 1.6D, etc etc.

Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection

Reply #12December 08, 2005, 11:07:03 pm

dieselpower

• Junior

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2005, 11:07:03 pm »
hey,
on my 84 rabbit my hitch was basically a plate as long and wide as the bumper with five bolts holding it to the bumper, then from there two bars came out towards the front and bolted to the sides of the spare tire well. it pulled a 600pound trailer with 3 dirtbikes in the back and is still together. pretty slow on hills and the old stock brakes didnt stop it too well but the hitch held pretty good.
hope that helps,

Mark
84 rabbit 1.6TD
because real cars don't have sparkplugs

Reply #13February 08, 2006, 12:13:01 am

wbhgrace

-Will
'81 Rabbit 1.6NA
'85 Westfalia Camper gas:(

Fixmyvw.com