S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: For those who missed the Hershey Centre Auto-X, like me...  (Read 5328 times)

June 28, 2004, 12:05:43 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

For those who missed the Hershey Centre Auto-X, like me...
« on: June 28, 2004, 12:05:43 am »
bryson smokin' the competition once again.

Reply #1June 28, 2004, 01:44:17 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 01:44:17 pm »
Nice!  :D  (How did he do?)
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #2June 28, 2004, 02:26:28 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 02:26:28 pm »
not sure, i was studying for a math exam  :?

Reply #3June 28, 2004, 08:05:19 pm

andy2

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 08:05:19 pm »
Bryson is there a web site, schedule or somthing for those of us who would like to go and see you preform at these events :lol:  thanks.

Reply #4June 29, 2004, 12:49:09 am

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 12:49:09 am »
sure, check it out here!
http://www.wiredmotorsports.com/pitl/pitl-info.html
saturday, 9th of 27 in my class. sunday, 2nd of 30something. Sunday was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much fun! I made a hugeass rear swaybar saturday night,  and on sunday, had a friend sitting in the back seat for my first four runs. The car's never handled better!
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!

Reply #5June 29, 2004, 10:35:52 pm

andy2

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 10:35:52 pm »
looking foreward to see this ,and to see how well your jet handles, I should do some work to mine ;seems I can't blast around corners without a tire breaking loose when the boost comes on. :evil: , It sure is great fun suprising the gasers with the old td  :D ,Its totally changed the way I drive the car now with its new found power.

Reply #6July 01, 2004, 01:00:14 am

fspGTD

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2004, 01:00:14 am »
NICE JOB!!!  (Amazing what impact some benign object like a swaybar makes to handling and how much it impacts your run times, isn't it? :D )

Power is good and definitely having at least "some" helps, but without handling - you ain't gonna go very fast at an autocross event.
Jake Russell

Reply #7July 01, 2004, 08:57:03 am

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2004, 08:57:03 am »
on the last run, i kicked my passenger out. (he was in the back seat) The handling was not nearly as good. it got me thinking, seeing as I've got more power than acceleration traction anyway, why not ballast the rear of the car some, and improve the handling!? It'll be a little while yet before the peloquin'd tranny is ready, so maybe the next event (July 10th!) I'll leave my street tires in the trunk. Maybe toss the front bumper too.

Reply #8July 01, 2004, 10:36:02 am

TDIMeister

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2004, 10:36:02 am »
Quote from: "Dr. Diesel"
on the last run, i kicked my passenger out. (he was in the back seat) The handling was not nearly as good. it got me thinking, seeing as I've got more power than acceleration traction anyway, why not ballast the rear of the car some, and improve the handling!? It'll be a little while yet before the peloquin'd tranny is ready, so maybe the next event (July 10th!) I'll leave my street tires in the trunk. Maybe toss the front bumper too.

Relocate the battery to the rear, as I am thinking about doing, and race on a full tank of fuel  :)

Reply #9July 01, 2004, 12:07:36 pm

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2004, 12:07:36 pm »
done, and always do!

Reply #10July 01, 2004, 01:53:23 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2004, 01:53:23 pm »
If you need to get rid of understeer in a pinch, don't forget you can always just overinflate the tires on the end that you seek to take away traction from.  Try it first running like 4 or 8 psi over in the rears from what is optimal for best traction back there.  You should feel a noticeable difference in the car rotating better...  Easy to adjust between runs to fine-tune your handling balance too!  (4 psi increment adjustments should be noticeable I'd think.)  And get one of those 5-gallon portable air tanks and before the event, fill it up to like 200psi at a service station then have it next to your car in grid so it's ready to add air to your tires between your runs for fine-tuning your handling.

You can also under-inflate tires to take away traction, but this is less preferable to over-inflating, because generally the tires will squirm more and make the handling more vague and also tire wear will be accelerated and the tire will build more heat vs. overinflated option.

In the longer-run to optimize handling, you would be better off changing your front and rear roll stiffness (don't forget about shocks too!) to get a good handling balance with all tire pressures set optimally.  (moving weight off the front towards the rear, or getting rid of it particularly from the front is a good thing too!)

Those pricey multi/highly-adjustable shocks are one of the best things that happened to autocross cars since sliced bread...  But some simple rebound-adjustable konis properly valved for your spring rates are just about as good!  Instant handling adjustments available between runs via the twist of a knob and without giving up any overall grip (as ballast / over/underinflation does), is awfully nice thing to have...
Jake Russell

Reply #11July 01, 2004, 04:10:52 pm

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2004, 04:10:52 pm »
yeah, i was upping rear pressures after each run. got to 44 psi before running out of air. not sure I'd want to go much higher. They were cool on the outsides and lukewarm in the center after a run. Fronts were hot all the way across, and very hot on the outsides. No question that they're working...
I'm gonna throw a set of 620# springs in the rear. 420# currently. 5somethings in the front. shift some more weight around too, if I can.

Fixmyvw.com