S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: mTDI Turbo Options  (Read 17620 times)

January 07, 2010, 11:43:56 pm

diesel smoke

• Junior

mTDI Turbo Options
« on: January 07, 2010, 11:43:56 pm »
Alright, this is pretty much a copy n' paste of a thread I started on TDIClub, and thought I'd ask here too since folk here seem to know a bit more about what oddball part will fit something.

What I'm wanting to do is make myself a ALH mTDI for my bus, and I'm starting to collect information on the project. So far I've sourced a mechanical pump and determined what trans I'm gonna go with. What I'm stumped with is turbo options. I don't really want to go with the VNT route as I have no clue how I'd control it since I want to stay away from the electronics.

So I ask, what are my options with waste gate turbos?

I don't need high performance parts, all I want is something more powerful than the stock 1800cc Flat 4. Stock level performance from a TDI is more than enough to push the high top at highway speed.  ;D

I know the MK 3 TDI's use a waste gate turbo, but will it fit and work with a ALH?

Thanks!  :)

'99.5 Bora TDI
'88 Fox Coupe
'71 Tin Top Westfalia Bus
'85 Mercedes 300SD

Reply #1January 08, 2010, 07:42:46 am

Dougslug

Re: mTDI Turbo Options
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 07:42:46 am »
I am pretty much in the same boat as you. I have a vanagon syncro, an ALH engine, a Landrover discovery TDi 300 pump and a VNT turbo.
I would like to get the VNT going if posible, the are some threads on the IDI section regarding contoling it, not to compicated and IMJ worth the extra time. What IP are you planing on using?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 05:05:46 pm by Dougslug »

Reply #2January 08, 2010, 01:16:37 pm

blackdogvan

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 01:16:37 pm »
I've been thinking about this for quite a while now & have done a fair bit of research on the subject. I'm pretty much finished building up my Mtdi, my rover pump got back from Giles yesterday.FYI he was pretty impressed with the rover pump although he though it might have some drivability issues in stock form, hangine rpm for example. I asked him if he'd write something up around here but he's a busy guy. Anyway,I have a VNT but just don't have the time to monkey around with the linkage these days I'm a one car family & commute in my van. I'll get to it but not for a while. I also don't want to break in a new rebuild with a turbo that could spike before I get the control system tweaked to perfection. So it being in a van I want little lag & 20psi on top, not the easiest thing to do. A K14 would be a good option but find a good one! They are also one of the harder turbos to rebuild due to the wastgate setup, so probably cost a buncho of cash to get one & rebuild/balance it.

From what I can see the best & easiest turbo to bolt onto a Mtdi is the K03/K04 hybrid wastgate unit that both Boraparts and Kermatdi sell. Basically its a Ko3 turbine with a K04 compressor. I drilled through the tdiclub forum & PM'd a bunch of guys there who have one & also talked to the folks at Kerma & bora parts. I was actually very surprised that the responses, of about half a dozen owners who replied all said the exact same thing. Good spool, 20psi and no issues. Its still a K03 hotside so its a bit constrictive at high RPM, I imagine in my van i'd be running around on the highway at 8-10psi so not the most efficient option from a EMP point of view. Also they have the stock K03 shaft, BUT from what I can see the K04's have the same 7mm shaft anyway. The best thing is if you have a rebuildable K03 around (I have 2) both of those vendors will give you a core exchange, $100 i think. Last time I looked they were around $700, not to shabby for a pro rebuild with all Garrett parts.

Here's the reply I got back from Boraparts when I inquired:

Hi Reuben,

Not sure if I got back to you yet... I don't have compressor maps, but I have heard the experience of over 70 customers and it's been nothing but the excellent. These turbos have been raced, auto-crossed, abused and driven everywhere from 18,000 feet in the Andes Mtns. to Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean. They work excellent in MTDI conversions, and they were built to run at 21 PSI. However, some customers have run them 22-23, with one auto-crosser running at 26. However, I do not recommend this high of a boost. 21 seems to be a good number to work with.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

-Aaron

& another dude from tdiclub:

i like the hybrid, it definately has a lot more airflow, im about to make 2" i/c pipes to eliminate the 1.25 section just off the turbo. spool seems just a hair slower if any, top end is a bit less smokey. and i regularly see 18-21psi.

All that said I really do want my VNT & will go that route when time permits.
1991 Vanagon 1.9 mTDI

Reply #3January 08, 2010, 09:55:35 pm

diesel smoke

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 09:55:35 pm »
 ;D Wow. Much better responses than what I got on TDIClub.

I was going to get a pump from http://www.westyventures.com/parts.html but it seems that they are not offered anymore... so that leaves http://www.advancedautomotion.com/product_info.php?cPath=66_132&products_id=109 .

Thanks blackdogvan, that's such a wealth of info. However I don't think I need the performance of the hybrid. I think too much power will destroy my transmission, so I think the stock K03 would be adequate since I'm going to run stock nozzles.

Bora parts has the K03 for a good price: http://www.boraparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=44

Now what would I need to do with the 2 small hose nipples, the one on the can in the top left corner of the pic, and the one near the output right beside the red cap?

How about the manifold? How would the stock one fit on the ALH?
'99.5 Bora TDI
'88 Fox Coupe
'85 Mercedes 300SD

Reply #4January 08, 2010, 11:03:48 pm

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 11:03:48 pm »
Connect those two outlets together with a rubber line and boost will run at stock levels, 9-11 psi.  If you add a bleeder to the line you can increase the regulated boost psi to a higher level.

The stock exaust manifold will bolt right up to the alh or ahu.

I'm running a k14 turbo and manifold off of a aaz on my mtdi in my toyota pickup running 18-20 psi and loving it.  I have a garrett t3 and a vnt turbo on the bench that I haven't tried yet.  As soon as I get some spare time I plan on trying the vnt. 
Toyota truck 4x4 with Mtdi, M-vnt gt1749va, 11mm pump, fmic, smog .216 nozzles.  Sold!
Working on 1993 4runner mtdi, gtb1756vk, 11mm pump, smog .216 nozzles, custom 1" thick adaptor plate, pd150 intake manifold.

Reply #5January 08, 2010, 11:46:55 pm

diesel smoke

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 11:46:55 pm »
 ;D Good to hear! I think I found the turbo that I'm gonna use.  :D What would I need for it to run about 15 PSI? I'm after stock performance of a ALH...
'99.5 Bora TDI
'88 Fox Coupe
'85 Mercedes 300SD

Reply #6January 09, 2010, 09:28:59 am

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 09:28:59 am »
If you do a search on boost controllers you'll find the answer you're looking for.  I'm using the simpliest and cheapest method of all.  I bleed off boost pressure to the wastegate (top left outlet in the pic you posted).  I T'ed off the rubber line between the two fittings on the turbo and used an adjustable valve to regulate how much boost I bleed off.  The more boost you bleed off the more boost the turbo produces.  Basically the wastegate only sees 10 psi while your actually pumping out 15 psi out of the turbo.
Toyota truck 4x4 with Mtdi, M-vnt gt1749va, 11mm pump, fmic, smog .216 nozzles.  Sold!
Working on 1993 4runner mtdi, gtb1756vk, 11mm pump, smog .216 nozzles, custom 1" thick adaptor plate, pd150 intake manifold.

Reply #7January 09, 2010, 10:23:12 am

golftd412000

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 10:23:12 am »
and the k16 from audi100 2.5tdi audi a6,transporter ;)

Reply #8January 09, 2010, 12:46:43 pm

westyventures

• User+

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 12:46:43 pm »

I was going to get a pump from http://www.westyventures.com/parts.html but it seems that they are not offered anymore...

Yes, I did pull the pumps from the site temporarily. There have been some personal and family things that have become more important in my life at the moment, so I am taking a short break to concentrate on those for the next month or two. In March or thereabouts I will begin selling pumps again.

Turbos: I've been chatting with Nick at Street Toys, his WGT-17 is a nice upgrade, some say better than the K03/04. He also has some interesting manifolds. I will be testing a few of his products on my upcoming projects so will have a better idea on how they work then. The stock Garrett GT1548 is also a nice wastegated turbo, I've been running one of those on my mTDI for years. I believe Nick is also going to be offering a manual controller for the excellent VNT turbos soon, so keep those in mind as well.
Karl Mullendore
www.westyventures.com

Reply #9January 09, 2010, 01:12:59 pm

subsonic

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 01:12:59 pm »
I vote gt2056v.  You could swap to a bit smaller compressor if you wanted.
2009 Jetta TDI Loyal edition, 6-spd. 16V 2.0CR

1985 VW Golf 5-spd, 4-door, 1.6NA  Bought from orig. owner in Savannah with 42,000 miles.
"Making the jump NA to TD" slow but sure.

1980 VW Rabbit LS 5-spd, 4-door 1.6NA almost 450,000miles  RIP

Reply #10January 09, 2010, 03:41:06 pm

blackdogvan

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 03:41:06 pm »
I vote gt2056v.  You could swap to a bit smaller compressor if you wanted.

Great turbo (i have one!) but this is a wastegate discussion.
1991 Vanagon 1.9 mTDI

Reply #11January 09, 2010, 09:01:58 pm

diesel smoke

• Junior

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 09:01:58 pm »

Yes, I did pull the pumps from the site temporarily. There have been some personal and family things that have become more important in my life at the moment, so I am taking a short break to concentrate on those for the next month or two. In March or thereabouts I will begin selling pumps again.

Turbos: I've been chatting with Nick at Street Toys, his WGT-17 is a nice upgrade, some say better than the K03/04. He also has some interesting manifolds. I will be testing a few of his products on my upcoming projects so will have a better idea on how they work then. The stock Garrett GT1548 is also a nice wastegated turbo, I've been running one of those on my mTDI for years. I believe Nick is also going to be offering a manual controller for the excellent VNT turbos soon, so keep those in mind as well.

Thanks for the info. I'm not starting on the project quite yet, so it works out ok. I'm just doing my homework before I start so I know what my plan of attack is. How much are you asking for the pumps?

As for the turbo, I think I'm gonna go with the K03. I think it's appropriately sized for what I'm wanting the engine to do, and they are affordable and easy enough to get. If it turns out that a K03 isn't enough, I'll upgrade. I'll probably start with a used one too, just so I'm sure and don't drop a bunch of coin on a new turbo that won't work well. Like I said, I don't want massive power, too much will liquefy my transmission.
'99.5 Bora TDI
'88 Fox Coupe
'85 Mercedes 300SD

Reply #12January 09, 2010, 09:06:47 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 09:06:47 pm »
How much does the bus weigh? You might find the K03 to be too restrictive and as a result will cause high EGTs
Tyler

Reply #13January 09, 2010, 09:32:41 pm

diesel smoke

• Junior

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 09:32:41 pm »
Bus probably weighs about 2 1/2 tons or so when it's all loaded down. Not 100% sure though. Never weighed it. And it's a hightop too.

Here's a pic of my rig:

She need some love, but it is a work in progress. ;D
'99.5 Bora TDI
'88 Fox Coupe
'85 Mercedes 300SD

Reply #14January 09, 2010, 10:50:21 pm

blackdogvan

• Veteran

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 10:50:21 pm »
You could do some reading over on the samba, I think there are a few bay window diesel swap threads there. You may want to do some reading on oil coolers for example. Are the bay tranny's really that weak?

should be a cool rig, keep us updated!
1991 Vanagon 1.9 mTDI