Author Topic: OIL PRESSURE 1.6 Non Turbo A-1 Caddy  (Read 3552 times)

October 19, 2005, 07:52:35 pm

vanagondiesel

• User+

OIL PRESSURE 1.6 Non Turbo A-1 Caddy
« on: October 19, 2005, 07:52:35 pm »
Another question.  I have a non turbo solid lifter head 1.6 Caddy truck.
I put in a Meyle high flow oil pump.  The VDO oil pressure showed pressures in excess of 120 lbs when the truck fired up.

I only briefly ran that pump when I realized I had a bad or failing injection pump.  SO while waiting for the new pump to arrive I pulled the high flow hydrolic oil pump and went back to the original oil pump which showed pressures about 60 lbs at road speed.

My mechanic, who is a whiz kid on A-1 and A-2, and A-3 (old road racer GTI man) in fact say NOT A PROBLEM.  Solid lifter engines can handle high pressure oil.  He felt that sort of pressure might not be any problem.  The filter did not explode by the way.  I was runing Rotella 15-40w.

I have a 82 Vanagon diesel (1.6 non turbo).  It had a nasty habit of blowing oil filters up and blowing oil past the oil filter seal when cold.  I got tired of the mess in my driveway so I tossed that pump and replaced it with another pump.

I was afraid the Caddy was going to do the same thing.  Afraid of the nasty mess on a cold morning......I pulled the pump.

IS.... :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  120 lbs of oil pressure and 100 lbs of oil pressue not an issue for a standard  1.6?  Should I put that high flow oil pump back in?
 :roll:

82 Vanagon L diesel, 89 Jetta diesel, 82 Caddy Diesel, and 16 various other A-1's, A-2, and Passat gas powered.