Author Topic: 84 Caddy Non Turbo Pump Replacement YUCK!  (Read 3220 times)

October 18, 2005, 10:00:53 pm

vanagondiesel

• User+

84 Caddy Non Turbo Pump Replacement YUCK!
« on: October 18, 2005, 10:00:53 pm »
I have a non turbo Caddy, which has been a faithful friend for years.  I tossed a belt on it a year or so back, never got around to fixing it.  Finally pulled the head, which, was not damaged!  Just threw the belt when it was cranking at start.  Figured the head was damaged but actually nada happened!  I was quick on the key!

I have a complete turbo A-2 take off.  So I figured what the hell, lets toss the  turbo unit on it....nice head.

Besides the mess it makes changing pan, etc etc, the engine never ran right.  It would wind up then stall out. Fire it back up, it would miss a bit then rap up then die out.  Starvation of fuel clearly enough.  Had that pump rebuilt 6 years ago.

But.... Since the down pipe was off set I figured lets put the old head back on.

Now its doing the same thing with the non turbo head.  Soooooo, I ordered a new BOSCH pump from a guy in the Bay Area for 400 bucks.  Now I am stalled for a bit, thinking it would be cool to have that turbo head anyway, so tomorrow the non turbo head comes BACK off, the pan get swapped and the turbo head goes back on.....

NOW to fix the off set on the downpipe.....that is a minor issue. Cut the downpipe where it hits the shifter, then have a muffler shop bend or reshape the pipe so it will not hit anything.

I had a new oil pump out in and it cranked 100 lbs of oil pressure today with the non turbo head on it.  A bit high for my tastes but will let it slide for a bit.  Its a new pump. Good quality.  Maybe it needs a bit to break in.

ALSO....I learned something useful.  CONSIDER:  I have been playing with diesel VW engines since 77.  Been there done that.  Have a faithful Vanagon non turbo diesel which plugs along like a family pet mule.

I found today...YOU CANNOT put a hydro head on a non hydrolic block!  Hmmmmmmm, seems VW upgraded the oil drain!  Dahhhhhhh.   I tried.  OIL LEAK.  Went back to the 1.6 circa 90 block and bingo....you got two drains for oil instead of one....dahhhhh

So I ordered a new headgasket and tomorrow will remove the non turbo stock head, go BACK to the turbo head, pan, etc etc and wait til the new pump shows up.

Long and the short of it, I wanted my faithful Caddy back on the road.  I want it dependable.  I have the non turbo head on it tonight, but that turbo A-2 take off is sooooooo tempting and the head it soooooooo nice, and the blower is in good shape and the head is near perfect and the
components are all there....just that damn downpipe hits the shifter....

I parted a GTI 86 last month and might try its downpipe.... :lol: :lol:

82 Vanagon L diesel, 89 Jetta diesel, 82 Caddy Diesel, and 16 various other A-1's, A-2, and Passat gas powered.

S-PAutomotive.com