S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: rebuilding a 1.5 need advice  (Read 4965 times)

December 22, 2009, 05:36:11 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
rebuilding a 1.5 need advice
« on: December 22, 2009, 05:36:11 pm »
Ok, so I thought that it would be a wise idea to rebuild my 1.5 before I try to build my fire breathing dragon "other post"  I compiled a list of components that I would need and places to get them but so far I have only gone to partsplaceinc.  I have also read somewhere "can't find it to save my life :(" that feeler guages and other diesel specific tools can be gotten cheaper from somewhere else, or made.  I would like to go the cheap route "not too cheap" I want to rebuild this thing right.  I already know I will need to use the arp head studs for the 11mm holes and I plan to port the head, clean/lapp the injectors and use new seals.  The issue is that the injection pump needs rebuilding AKA it is leaking like a sun beothch and air is gettin into the lines from dryrot as well.  So here goes injection pump rebuild kit, new return lines, new fuel filter "for good measure" need a new clear line from the filter to the pump, I also need new gasket set, arp studs, and motor mounts, "I took the head off :P"  The previous owner has a ghetto rigged system where you hook a clip to the pos+ of the battery to initiate the glow plugs I would like to fix that as well.  If there is anything else that I will need please feel free to add, oh, and before anyone asks yes, I did read through the FAQ section, and I have not tried to put ATF throught the pump ....... it leaks :(.  The original issue was that the engine made a banging sound when I ran it in the driveway and a lack of power during regular driving, and also the smell of diesel would waft into the cabin and the pump would leak.... B A D! air in the lines was caused by a dry-rotted line from the main filter to the pump.  when I removed the return lines they broke away :o.... yeah, so anyway, any help at all on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and a Very Merry Christmas,

Kevin

dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
you know, decarbonated beer is a better coolant than the stuff you buy at the auto store, and is better for you...... really
"If the boost were to rise then the throttle would remain in the wide-open throttle position, which might be fun, but probably not for long"Libbypapa

Reply #1December 22, 2009, 05:46:26 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

Re: rebuilding a 1.5 need advice
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 05:46:26 pm »
Have you pulled the pan off of it yet??   The banging may have been diesel knock, or the engine vibrating on bad mounts, but I think you may be wise to check out the bottom end before going too far..   Make sure you have no cracked/proken pistons, spun bearings, etc...  Do you have any idea of the oil pressure when it was running?

Reply #2December 22, 2009, 06:40:04 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 06:40:04 pm »
The banging also could've been a bad injector.

I like www.partsgeek.com for most things, or there's www.rockauto.com or www.autohausaz.com .

I've ordered from all of 'em.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #3December 22, 2009, 09:53:19 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 09:53:19 pm »
no, I didn't take the pan off, however, I did check the oil when I checked it.  I ran it through a sain and there were no metal shavings.  I am still holding out for a bad injector/pump/lines/leak, I have seen the pistons and none are cracked.  Thanks for the advice on sales hopefully I can shop around and save some serious dough. 8)
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
you know, decarbonated beer is a better coolant than the stuff you buy at the auto store, and is better for you...... really
"If the boost were to rise then the throttle would remain in the wide-open throttle position, which might be fun, but probably not for long"Libbypapa

Reply #4December 22, 2009, 10:28:00 pm

Possum79

• Veteran

• http://www.poscarclub.com
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 10:28:00 pm »
Germanautoparts.com has good stuff and they sell tools. Mostly metalnerd tools but they are a little cheaper then his site. I'm in the process of rebuilding mine so I will be watching this thread.
1979 VW Rabbit Diesel L
My car may be ugly but im addicted to it.

Reply #5December 22, 2009, 11:57:20 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 11:57:20 pm »
i'll post up some pics soon ;D
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #6December 23, 2009, 12:39:39 am

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 12:39:39 am »
I've been able to do quite well though both my machine shop and my local parts guy (They're brothers, go figger..)  Most of the time till I figure in shipping from an online vendor the prices are about the same.. Plus I like supporting out local business as well..   Of course we don;t all have this luxury...  There's far too many chain/franshise operations with know-nothing counter guys and cheap junk parts..

Reply #7December 23, 2009, 12:41:55 am

Possum79

• Veteran

• http://www.poscarclub.com
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 12:41:55 am »
Also thought I would chime in on the homemade tool stuff. Good link to VWdieselparts.com
1979 VW Rabbit Diesel L
My car may be ugly but im addicted to it.

Reply #8December 23, 2009, 12:42:31 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 12:42:31 am »
Must be nice to be on the east coast...... rub it in why dontcha :'(
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #9December 23, 2009, 12:43:17 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 12:43:17 am »
yippee for cheap/homemade tools ;D
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #10December 23, 2009, 12:51:02 am

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 12:51:02 am »
Must be nice to be on the east coast...... rub it in why dontcha :'(

Living in podunk helps too...  The nearest chain store is just close enough to keep the local guys competative, but just far enough that it isn't worth the trip to save $2

Reply #11December 29, 2009, 01:54:51 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 01:54:51 am »
*sad* putting everything on hold for the time being, I need to fix the family vehicles the van needs new head gaskets 200.00 for the studs and another 40 for the gaskets plus I still have to figure out the exhaust leak??? and the suzuki/daewoo needs new struts "special order from indonesia" another 200+ dollars ugh! all outta dough.  Time to go through the garage and sort out what can be sold and what can't.  Times like this I wish I had a second job.  
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #12December 29, 2009, 11:09:25 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 11:09:25 pm »
I know how that goes oh too well...  The joys of having multiple vehicles but never the time and funds (especially simultaneously) to get things done..    

I have 6 vehicles..  And am currently relying on the VW with the cracked but welded block..

The Crown Vic got snowplowed, the other Rabbit has a cracked 11mm block and too many other needs to list. The Mustang has historic plates and seasonal insurance as does the Dodge, I don't want to ahve to go through the "Why did you have them out in the snow" headache. I trashed the clutch in the F-250 (Don;t wanna talk about that) and my dad thinks the K2500 is "A pretty darn nice truck"..   I not I'm gonna get it back till he dies..

If the weather were warmer I might have been relying on the golf carts..

Reply #13December 30, 2009, 01:58:34 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 01:58:34 am »
LOL, yeah, I saw your build post bro.  Great work too, I wish that I was half as lucky as you JK.  Seriously talented work, I have tools but no talent and horrible luck "why I don't go to vegas"  YOU! sir are an inspiration.

god bless,

Kevin
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #14December 30, 2009, 11:24:06 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 11:24:06 pm »
How's that song go?? "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"...  Crap luck and Amish Theory can go along way..

Fixmyvw.com