Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1.9 TDI AHU engine in my 82 Vanagon.  (Read 8748 times)

December 16, 2009, 06:25:24 pm

DieselVanagon

• User+

1.9 TDI AHU engine in my 82 Vanagon.
« on: December 16, 2009, 06:25:24 pm »
I hope to find help with the following questions:

I have a 82 Diesel Vanagon and hope to use the 98 1.9 TDI AHU I found. Not because of the power but more for reliability.

1.What pump should I use on the TDI without the electronics? (easy solution)
2.Could I run the engine without the turbo? What pump could I use then?

Rolf

Reply #1December 17, 2009, 11:04:44 am

boxer246

• Junior

Re: 1.9 TDI AHU engine in my 82 Vanagon.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 11:04:44 am »
1. Look in the FAQ under M-TDI if you want to know more about building, or having built a M-TDi pump to run with no electronics.  There is TONS of info floating around about these.  They vary from do-it-yourself built pumps that may or may not work properly, to professionally built pumps by reputable pump rebuilders.  Giles can build you one, i believe, as well as Karl M. from Westyventures.  Both have excellent reputations, never heard a bad thing about either one. 

2. Why?  It will run like crap with no turbo.  You may as well keep your 1.6 in there if you want to run a TDI with no turbo.  I mean there are lots of non-turbo motors out there....actually I have one myself....a 1.9 industrial motor that would probably work fine.  But a TDI without a turbo is probably not a good idea.  That sort of defeats the purpose of having a TDI, in my opinion.

Ash
'81 VW Caddy 1.6 now a TD
'88 Vanagon (building a AHU M-TDI)

Reply #2December 17, 2009, 11:54:52 am

DieselVanagon

• User+

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 11:54:52 am »
Thanks for the helpfull information.

No Turbo: The purpose of this sawp is not to gain power but just to get the Van running again.
If the TDI non turbo runs better than the 1.6 non turbo I have at least the gain of a more robust motor.
I may add the Turbo later.

Would the exhaust manifold fit from a 1.6D to a TDI?

Reply #3December 17, 2009, 12:20:37 pm

boxer246

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 12:20:37 pm »
As far as I know, yes the 1.6D manifold will fit the TDI. 

If the reason for no-turbo is because you dont have one, you may find one on here in the For Sale section.  Post a wanted ad. 
Actually, when installing the TDI into a Vanagon at 50 deg like the original Vanagon diesel the left side motor mount will interfere with the TDI turbo.  So you need to modify the mount, or, use a AAZ exhaust manifold and turbo which puts the turbo above the exhaust manifold, and will not interfere (from what I have read) with the motor mount.   Or, you can buy the Quantum TD exhaust manifold from me and put a T3 turbo on it and it wont interfere with the mount.

Of course if you go ahead and put the TDI in without a turbo, none of this matters!  Which may be why you are doing that!

But seriously for less than $200 you could have a complete used turbo and manifold setup probably.

That M-TDI pump will cost some pretty penny as well!
Ash

Reply #4December 17, 2009, 01:14:52 pm

DieselVanagon

• User+

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 01:14:52 pm »
Super, this information will help my decision. I will go without turbo at first and may add it later.
Would the M-TDI pump setup be different whether I run a turbo or not? (if I add the turbo later)

The TDI engine is locally and makes this the least expensive solution because of shipping.

Rolf

Reply #5December 17, 2009, 03:28:15 pm

boxer246

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 03:28:15 pm »
I really cant say for sure.  I havent even heard of anyone running a TDI with no turbo.  So its hard to say how it will act.  With no boost pressure the LDA on the mechanical pump will be non-functioning, meaning there will be no extra fueling under boost.  But overall the pump might end up putting out more fuel than you need without a turbo.  But I suppose you could turn the fuel screw down.  You would have to talk to Karl or Giles probably.  I really dont think it would run that well.

Ash

Reply #6December 20, 2009, 07:00:45 am

svenakela

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 07:00:45 am »
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, and I was going to ask the same thing. :)
I must say this is a very helpful and informative place and now when I'm going to swap engine in my old VW pickup (-85) I'm surprised (in a good way) that the VW engineers kept the bolt patterns between so many engine models. Why change a working concept? And on top of that it really help us who want to modernize our old burners.

It has probably been asked before - that's the problem with being a newbie at a forum - but I would like to extend the question a bit. If I can source the electronics, what do I need to take and can it be ripped out and reassembled to be working again? I assume immobilizer's can make my day a bit troublesome...

Regards,
Sven
Europe, Sweden, Stockholm.

Reply #7December 20, 2009, 08:36:26 am

svenakela

• Junior

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 08:36:26 am »
Hmm... Never mind. I just bought a TDI engine without the electronics so now I'm going the m-TDI route. It was dirt cheap, he says he got air bubbles in the return line, might be a pump leak? I got it so cheap I can get another pump if it's broken.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, Rolf. I hope we can get some info from each other now when we do the same thing. :)

Reply #8January 06, 2010, 12:18:21 pm

drrtybyl

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 12:18:21 pm »
If you do want to go the ECU route, 98 or earlier TDI should be good to go without needing the dealer to reprogram theft-prevention components for you.
I considered going mTDI with my rabbit, but decided that building the pump would be just as much trouble as porting the old wiring to the new fusebox, and I already had the wiring and ECU -- whereas I didn't have the extra pump necessary to build an mTDI.
What transmission do you plan to use?  
'79 Rabbit Diesel L
'94 Chevy 2500 6.5TD
'96 BMW 318ti

Reply #9January 08, 2010, 07:56:06 am

Dougslug

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 07:56:06 am »
People who have done both mTDI and eTDI often recomend the mTDI as the best route.
There has already been a lot of work done on this both in EU and US each following a difrent route depending on available I pumps.
No one wants to spend a fortune on a new one.
There is a section in FAQ that deals with IP choice, although the cummins pump is not a viable option in EU.
I have Landrover pump that I am planning to fit as I understand that these work pretty well without any mods
Regarding the eTDI, in europe we had the immo earlier than the States, the best solution is to have it re flashed to run without
many chip tuners will offer this service at an extra cost. one on this forum has done it for me in the past is based in Poland, I think he goes by the name of Alligator on this forum.
There is also a Canadian website, used to be called fastforward (hessenwerke)that makes up the electrical harnesses, he gives you a list of components to remove from the donner car

Reply #10January 09, 2010, 10:22:49 am

the caveman

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 10:22:49 am »
Does anyone know how much torque an un turbo'd 1.9 TDI has? Just curious as i'm running a 1.9 idi na and am always on the lookout for an ALH and it's not that i don't believe in turbo's .It's just that i'm lazy and with any extra work, i kinda glaze over.
" I'm a vegetarian,not because i love animals, it's because i hate plants"
1970 Type 3 fastback
1972 Renault 12
1971 Super Beetle 140 HP 159 ft lbs
1987 Fox
1989 TD Jetta
1990 Fox
1989 Fox
1998 TDI Jetta
1990 T3 German MIL Transporter 1.9 na Giles super pump
1997 Jetta GLX TDI

S-PAutomotive.com