Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Pump timing - on the bench?  (Read 2297 times)

December 14, 2009, 08:40:05 pm

745 turbogreasel

Pump timing - on the bench?
« on: December 14, 2009, 08:40:05 pm »
Given that I have the pump bracket off the car,  it seems I could lock the pin, and rotate the pump to achieve 0.98 or whatever timing, make a matchmark, and assemble the car.
rotate the engine, get belt tension set
line up my mark and be timed.

so long as I use the same pump bracket, or maybe those are all the same?

Am I missing something?
I may gain more advantage from this than most, as my pump runs off a separate timing belt at the back of the cam.

Reply #1December 14, 2009, 09:15:08 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
Re: Pump timing - on the bench?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 09:15:08 pm »
Audi?

I think it would work as long as you get the belt on the right tooth. It's still risky and I'd still go with the old fashioned method of using the dial indicator.
Tyler

Reply #2December 14, 2009, 09:41:11 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 09:41:11 pm »
Volvo

The only risk here is getting injection mistimed, as all the engine timing happens on the front belt.
If it does work, it will be real easy...
and I''m about ready to grind a hole in the firewall getting the lock pin in n out :P

I guarantee I can keep the lock pin more centered  off the car than on.   on the car you can't see the pin, and can hardly even feel it.

I suppose the thing to do here is make the mark, install and time as normal....then see if my mark is aligned for future reference.

Reply #3December 15, 2009, 11:20:27 am

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 11:20:27 am »
Volvo

The only risk here is getting injection mistimed, as all the engine timing happens on the front belt.
and I''m about ready to grind a hole in the firewall getting the lock pin in n out :P

I guarantee I can keep the lock pin more centered  off the car than on.   on the car you can't see the pin, and can hardly even feel it.

I suppose the thing to do here is make the mark, install and time as normal....then see if my mark is aligned for future reference.

you time audis and volvos from the front timing belt? how does that work? the fuel pump sitll has bolts and crap to adjust it.

Reply #4December 15, 2009, 06:26:36 pm

dennis

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 06:26:36 pm »
Volvo
I seem to remember having to hold the pump gear to keep it from springing back to get the pin in the hole. The 240s may have a bit more room than the 740s too. Never did a pump belt on a 740. If you get tired of trying You can ship me your engine if its a D24T. I'll get her timed plus boost my 245.

1980 Caddy TD (Always in progress)
1983 Volvo 245 D24 NA Building D24T
1980 Air-cooled Westy
1956 F100 (What to do???))

Reply #5December 15, 2009, 07:22:14 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 07:22:14 pm »
I'm saying the engine  mechanical timing is on the front belt,  so even if I borked the IP timing, there is no risk of bendies.
Pump timing is the only thing on the rear belt, and is a moderate PITA,  much the same as a 1.6 but more cramped.

I was looking at the parts as i set up a test rig, and the thought of pretiming it crossed my mind...
Good thing I tested it too, cause my new emergency stop lever seal pissed everywhere.  go figure, it is the one feature on the pump my car is not supposed to have(was deleted in man trans cars)

I think I have that fixed, and I need to bump the control pressure a hair, it seems to be at the very bottom of spec.  Also I think my pressure gauge wants a restrictor, the needle was pretty bouncy

Reply #6December 15, 2009, 07:31:16 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 07:31:16 pm »
I'm saying the engine  mechanical timing is on the front belt,  so even if I borked the IP timing, there is no risk of bendies.
Pump timing is the only thing on the rear belt, and is a moderate PITA,  much the same as a 1.6 but more cramped.

I was looking at the parts as i set up a test rig, and the thought of pretiming it crossed my mind...
Good thing I tested it too, cause my new emergency stop lever seal pissed everywhere.  go figure, it is the one feature on the pump my car is not supposed to have(was deleted in man trans cars)

I think I have that fixed, and I need to bump the control pressure a hair, it seems to be at the very bottom of spec.  Also I think my pressure gauge wants a restrictor, the needle was pretty bouncy

yea, thats what i thought. i love that my 5 cyl is layed out the same way. seems alot safer to just run the cam off the timing belt. then there is no chance of trashing your engine because the input shaft bushing was bad on your injector pump and the belt jumped off.

Reply #7December 15, 2009, 08:42:53 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 08:42:53 pm »
Is the rear cam sprocket keyed or can you spin it freely like on the Audi engines? On the 5 cylinder mTDI, when we were timing it in the van we found it easier to move the cam sprocket rather then trying to rotate the pump. If it's not keyed then I don't even think you would need to lock the pump.
Tyler

Reply #8December 15, 2009, 10:23:52 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 10:23:52 pm »
Is the rear cam sprocket keyed or can you spin it freely like on the Audi engines? On the 5 cylinder mTDI, when we were timing it in the van we found it easier to move the cam sprocket rather then trying to rotate the pump. If it's not keyed then I don't even think you would need to lock the pump.
That sounds right, 99% of layout seems to match Audi IDI

I guess we traded the front pump bushing grenade for the water pump bearing grenade, but he WP is much cheaper to replace preemptively.