Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: The "QuickTD" is SOLD  (Read 5521 times)

November 23, 2009, 11:07:33 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

The "QuickTD" is SOLD
« on: November 23, 2009, 11:07:33 pm »
My jetta is beginning to rust and I don't do bodywork...

97 jetta GL
375000km, mostly highway

The good,

Engine runs very strong, minimal oil consumption, starts excellent in the cold
OEM quality intercooler setup, pics on this site somewhere
4 puck clutch, lightened flywheel
0.71 fifth gear
GTD nozzles
Pump setup for 18psi boost with minimal smoke
Autometer pro comp 35 psi boost, EGT and oil pressure guages
oil changed at regular intervals (10000km) with petro-can duron synth since I bought the car with 80000km
Crank nose is in excellent original condition, pulley and bolt replaced at each 100000km timing belt change
Electric transfer pump with proper inertia shutoff switch
Cummins 10 micron fuel filter on custom base
Depo E-code H4 headlights, great in the snow
13" snow tires on rims as pictured (2 are new last season) and 195/60-14 cooper cobras pre-shaved (read "worn out") on stock steelies with decent hub caps
New rear struts 1 month ago, had to, it was undrivable...

The bad,

The car is fairly rusty, left rear wheel well, drivers floor and around windows/windshield
The AC blows cold but the AC clutch idler bearing has come loose on the compressor, needs a new compressor to fix

I'd like to buy another diesel but the new ones just don't thrill me the way the old mechanical ones did. Again, I don't do bodywork so I'm shopping for something 2004 up. Sadly there are no mechanical conversion candidates from 2004 up. Also, my situation has changed considerably since I bought the car. I no longer do the sort of long distance driving that the diesel lent itself to. I now have a regular day job with a 10km commute. I'm actually considering a gasser, the shame...

Lots of good parts for $800, open to offers. Pics to follow

« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 09:10:49 pm by QuickTD »

Reply #1November 30, 2009, 10:23:20 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

Re: Feeler - The "QuickTD" may be for sale...
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 10:23:20 pm »
Due to the overwhelming interest  ;), am I to presume my best deal at this point is to drive the car to the wrecker and take my 100 bucks? Seems an unfitting end for such a noble steed...

Here's some IC pics,

Reply #2November 30, 2009, 10:42:47 pm

rallydiesel

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 10:42:47 pm »
If I was closer I would snatch it up. If I were you and had some space, I would pull the engine and tow the car to the wrecker. You can still make some coin parting out the engine.
2006 Jetta TDI - gtb1749v, Malone 2, Frank's Titan 2 cam, VR6 clutch....
1991 Jetta TD - sold :(
2001 Golf TDI - Son's
1981 Rabbit - BEW tdi swap project

"ONCE YOU GO CLACK, YOU NEVER GO BACK"

Reply #3December 01, 2009, 12:16:43 am

Smokey Ranger

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 12:16:43 am »
How much do you want for it?
Getting it across the border is a hassle.

Reply #4December 01, 2009, 06:33:36 am

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 06:33:36 am »
I was hoping to get a few hundred for it, more than the wrecker for sure. I don't really have time to take it apart and I already have a few good 1.9 engines in stock.

I'm still shopping for a replacement right now, I thought I had good deal on a passat but it has fallen through...

I'm just hoping to get rid of this lump as soon as I find a new one, unfortunately, I can't have any extra cars lying around right now.

Reply #5December 01, 2009, 08:24:20 am

macka

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 08:24:20 am »
check your PM's
Quote from: Vincent Walden
I do know that I drive torque,  while listening to my friends prattle on about horsepower.

Reply #6December 01, 2009, 07:57:38 pm

foxracer1

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 07:57:38 pm »
Border is a prob for me. Someone buy this up so it doesn't get wasted.
84 4dr Rabbit 1.6 N/A sold to friend
86 Jetta TD getting raced out AHU 02A
98 Jetta TDI Malone tune stg 3
91 S10 305 TPI T56
86 S10 2WD Prerunner project.

Now offering turbo rebuilds. HP or stock. Any turbo you have i can rebuild it for ya.
Reseal injection pumps PM for det

Reply #7December 02, 2009, 10:57:32 pm

2strokesmoke

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 10:57:32 pm »
Hi,
Interested in delivering the car  ?
I'm on Long Island New York, USA
about 630 miles = 12 hours each way.
If so, How much ?
With my work schedule, I couldn't make the trip myself
Thanks,Mike

Reply #8December 04, 2009, 11:36:47 am

steve6

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 11:36:47 am »
Due to the overwhelming interest  ;), am I to presume my best deal at this point is to drive the car to the wrecker and take my 100 bucks? Seems an unfitting end for such a noble steed...

well if that's all you want, drop it off at my place i'll give you $150  :D

Reply #9December 06, 2009, 11:30:19 am

tSoG-84bit

• Junior

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 11:30:19 am »
I was actually just saying to myself "I really need a junk body mk3 turbo diesel to steal parts from" *scratches head* my mk4 towing a mk3 across the border may cause suspicion though... how much does a mk3 AAZ weigh?  I really don't need anything rearward beyond the dash and shifter... *thinks hard* please don't scrap this. I'm gonna figure something out..
84bit 1.6na
Engine died, pulling it apart, putting something new in it's place.

Reply #10December 06, 2009, 03:44:06 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 03:44:06 pm »
Not to worry, it appears there is sufficient interest to save the car from scrap. The search for a replacement is not going well though, so it may be a little while before I can let it go. If anybody has any leads on a nice mid sized import sedan or better yet a wagon, let me know. Mazda 6, subaru impreza, nissan altima/maxima, vw passat 1.8t, audi a4 1.8t are on my list. I only want to see cars in excellent body condition. Mechanical problems are fine, I can fix those. Something 2004 or up preferred, manual trans only, have up to 15k to spend.

I have had a number of folks from the US express interest and there are a few things that make selling the car across the border difficult.

1. Any vehicle less than 25 years old imported into the US must meet US emissions standards, this of course is not the case with my jetta.

2. Vehicles imported into the US beyond 1978 must meet US safety standards, usually this means newer vehicles must have some form of supplimental restraint system, airbags, self fastening belts etc. My jetta has none of those.

The vehicle can be imported without meeting these requirements if a cash bond is left with customs equal to 1.5 times the vehicles dutiable value. This bond is returned when the vehicle is brought into compliance, which, in this case, would be impossible.

There is one way to get the car across with minimal hassle and that is to cut it into pieces, making it "auto parts" rather than a vehicle. There will be some import duty and I do not want to be involved in the process. If you have a buddy somewhere near here, then by all means buy it, drive it to his place, cut it up and haul it across the border at your leisure

I cannot simply drive the car across the border and sell it to you without notifiing customs. If I cross the border in a vehicle I must return in said vehicle within 12 months. Otherwise, proper import documents and compliance must be secured. If these documents are not filed the customs people will come looking for me.

Reply #11December 06, 2009, 10:30:24 pm

tSoG-84bit

• Junior

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 10:30:24 pm »
I know the regs... I'm bringing it into the states as a parts car. I technically do need proof of ownership to flat tow it home behind my car, but once I got it home, it'd be stripped of parts, and taken out back and shot.

just trying to figure out how to convince customs that my intentions are mostly honorable, and it'll never see road use as a complete car.
84bit 1.6na

Reply #12December 07, 2009, 11:00:33 am

3beejay3

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 11:00:33 am »
Probably the best way to cross the border with a car like this, is to pull a bunch of major parts off the car and put them into crates/boxes.

ie. remove the engine, hood, trunk lid & seats. Transport the rolling chassis/body shell and the rest of the parts separately. (you may get away with having all the parts in the back of a pickup truck & the body on a trailer. It won't be an issue if the parts are in a separate vehicle, but it will be more of a PITA in that you'll need two vehicles to do what one should be able to) Declare the car & parts as 'used auto parts'. Have all proper documentation for the body in your possession.

Works when coming to Canada.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 11:04:34 am by 3beejay3 »

Reply #13December 23, 2009, 06:26:13 pm

tSoG-84bit

• Junior

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 06:26:13 pm »
I'm stuck in the states for at least a few more weeks, being busy is a PITA. Hope you have lotsa luck finding a replacement, and hopefully I get a response back from Customs as to the legality of towing a car across the border as "car parts"
84bit 1.6na

Reply #14December 25, 2009, 10:18:26 pm

Laurentian

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2009, 10:18:26 pm »
Intrest for the engine here in laval on my part for install in my manyfold MKII's !
Will see if my brothers buddy still has his '99 passat 1.8T available for sale.
It was for sale earlier this fall, same green as your Jetta
200,000 km, lots of dealer maint.
Colleg prof. owned who keeps his stuff scrubbed clean.
Will post up in couple days.
Later,
Hugh