Author Topic: Some temp questions..  (Read 3573 times)

November 22, 2009, 12:19:26 am

wolf_walker

• Veteran

Some temp questions..
« on: November 22, 2009, 12:19:26 am »
Drove the truck for the first time in four or five years tonight.  Any measurable distance anyway.

So, op temp, don't I remember it running bout half way on the gauge?
She's hanging out about two ticks after the first large "warmed up"
mark.  Or, 1/4 gauge, barely.
Previously, sitting running with lights on for a little load, it's made
it's way to half gauge, fan started cycling.

It's chilly here but not real cold, 40's F tonight.
I figure either my luck sucks and my nice new Wahler thermostat has stuck open
or I have some gauge funkyness going on.  My main question is the temp sensors.
I can't remember which motor I got them off, but I think they are both black
band on the glow plug and the gauge.  Is this right for an 81 Caddy?
It's been so long I can't remember.

Man it's gonna suck if my t-stat is stuck already.  Wouldn't be
the first time though.

Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #1November 22, 2009, 12:34:57 am

maxfax

• Veteran

Re: Some temp questions..
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 12:34:57 am »
Does it blow heat or do the rad hoses feel like they are getting hot??   Gauge funkyness is pretty typical on these old buggers.. 

There is supposed to be a slight difference between the GP and gauge sensors, but not enough that you'll notice... If the sensors from both engines are the single post that you slide the connector over they should be the same thing more or less..     

Reply #2November 22, 2009, 01:20:55 am

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 01:20:55 am »
Yeah, plenty of heat, hoses are hot, system has pressure(but not till hot).
Isn't the color of the plastic band on the sensors supposed to mean something?
I had an oil temp gauge I put in my last turbo years ago and remember mucking around with a bunch
of them till I found the right one for it.
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #3November 22, 2009, 04:02:55 am

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 04:02:55 am »
Color matters on the oil pressure senders, at least on the cars with the dynamic oil pressure warning system..  And the later temp sensors were color coded I believe..   But the MK1 temp sensors are pretty interchangeable..  ALot of vendors only list one for the GP's and the gauge..   

If it's throwing heat and everything seems warm chances are your t-stat is fine.. Since you have extra temp sensors you could always try another and see if it reads differently... 

The best option is an aftermarket temp gauge... The factory gauges are about the equivelant of an idiot light..   They are accurate enough to let you know it's too hot but that's about it.. Throw 20 some odd years at them and consitancy tends to go out the window too...  I've even installed them temporarily just to get an idea of about what temp is being represented on the factory gauge...

Reply #4November 22, 2009, 08:01:07 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 08:01:07 pm »
After taking some measurements today on both of them hot and cold, I think I'm going to replace them both.
One was 180ohms one was 1200ohms cold, they both leveled up to within 30 ohms of each other when warmed up.
They are cheap enough I'll just replace em.

Mentat Text Two

S-PAutomotive.com