Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1.6 cy TD bottom end 1.9 aaz head project  (Read 79307 times)

Reply #45November 28, 2009, 11:58:33 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
Re: 1.5 rot assy. 1.6 TD bottom end 1.9 head project
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2009, 11:58:33 pm »
dang it! forgot already, I mic'd the 1.6 turbo block and that is the factory bore there with cross hatching  "AMAZING!"  so yet another question can I use the stock 1.5 rotating assy "with new re-ring kit of course" I don't want the pistons exploding on me or melting inside of the cylinder so I want to make absolutely sure the 1.5 pistons and rods an handle what I will eventually be throwing at it.  I know it is a little early in the game for this, but would it be a good idea to add an oil cooler?  Sorry for the bother, if any.

Thanks again,

Kevin
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
you know, decarbonated beer is a better coolant than the stuff you buy at the auto store, and is better for you...... really
"If the boost were to rise then the throttle would remain in the wide-open throttle position, which might be fun, but probably not for long"Libbypapa

Reply #46November 29, 2009, 12:08:46 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2009, 12:08:46 am »
found this, any good?  I will have to ask if this is for turbo application, but it is definately for the IDI.  Gotta love google.

http://www.volkswaparts.com/AAZCompleteHead.htm
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
you know, decarbonated beer is a better coolant than the stuff you buy at the auto store, and is better for you...... really
"If the boost were to rise then the throttle would remain in the wide-open throttle position, which might be fun, but probably not for long"Libbypapa

Reply #47November 29, 2009, 06:36:57 am

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2009, 06:36:57 am »
AS far as your water pump & housing, brackets, pulley's, vac pump,intermediate shaft etc they can be swapped off the

AS far as your pump, the 1.5 pump will run a 1.6 but not optimally..  If you're sending it to Giles I think he can take care of that..   Since you are talking turbo you will want some sort of fuel enrichement on the pump..  The NA pump will work, but once again not optimally..   Ideally would be to find a TD pump.  The top off a TD pump could be swapped on your pump, or even one of the altitude compensating pumps slightly modified would be an option... A 1.9 pump could also be worked with, although from what I gather the boost pin in the 1.6 TD is worlds better than the AAZ...

THe 1.5 rotating assembly is just as strong as the 1.6 rotating assembly..   AS we have all been saying the 1.9 head had a larger combustion chamber..  Coupled with the shorter stroke of the 1.5 your compression is going to be really low..  Starting may be darn near impossible..   The 1.5 had 23.5:1 compression, the 1.6 had 23:1..   A 1.5 rotating assembly with a 1.9 head will give you about 18:1...  Those that have build a 1.6 with an aaz head have mentioned tough starting with a compression ratio of about 19.5:1..   

AS far as that particular vendor, do a search for "Prothe" on here..   Alot of mixed reviews about his stuff..   His "rebuilt" injection pumps are crap..  Many have gotten burned...  I believe Smokey Eddy is running one of those heads....

Reply #48November 29, 2009, 01:50:31 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2009, 01:50:31 pm »
I do understand that static compression will be very low for a diesel, I suppose that once warmed up it will run great with a turbo because compression will rise and volumetric efficiency will be better as well.  1.6 TD pump it is  now for the turbos wht should I use?  I mean some guys like rabbitonroids are running just short of 20 psi on a completely different setup I should theoreticaly be capable of a lot more hence this  setup so target will be .... let's say uhhhhh 25 psi max or more? what kind of turbo should I use in a vnt or vgt setup.  Specifically. 8)

thanks,

Kevin
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #49November 29, 2009, 02:10:57 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2009, 02:10:57 pm »
Although I'm not a big fan of hair dryers, The VNT has some nice benefits..  Controlling it takes a bit of engineering..  There's a few threads here about that though..

One thing I just thought of, what year is the TD block you have, or more specificaly, is it a hydro lifer block or a mechanical lifter block???   AAZ heads are all hydro lifter.. 

Reply #50November 29, 2009, 02:15:04 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2009, 02:15:04 pm »
how do I know? which the block is?
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #51November 29, 2009, 02:41:36 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2009, 02:41:36 pm »
Look on the block just below cyl 3 (I think) and after scraping the oily grime off you'll see I flat spot with some numbers and letter's, get the 2 letter code and post it.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #52November 29, 2009, 06:09:42 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2009, 06:09:42 pm »
Best way to tell is to look at how many oil drains are in the front of block. 1 between #2 and #3 is a solid lifter, Hydraulic if it has that one plus a smaller one between #1 and #2

I think there are some pictures in the FAQ if you care to have a browse through there.
Tyler

Reply #53November 29, 2009, 09:21:34 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2009, 09:21:34 pm »
I have looked through the faq section of the forum, I have the tendancy to overlook things, especially if I don't know specifically what it is that I'm looking for.  Good to know, I'm still learning here.  I'll post it up, I'm not too sure what the other thing is but I'll take a look at that too.  I HOPE! that it's a hydro block *filbert* "OH PLEASE, OH PLEASE" 8)

thanks again,

Kevin
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #54November 29, 2009, 09:37:31 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2009, 09:37:31 pm »
all right, here goes, 068103011, at the bottom in a circle was (30j83) and at the top CY  111  761  hows that?
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #55November 29, 2009, 10:24:12 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2009, 10:24:12 pm »
That'll do..  I believe the CY engines were the 1986-1988 hyrdo lifter engines..    Just to be absolutely sure, compare the TD block to the 1.5..   The hydro blocks have an extra bump on the front between the #1 and #2 cyls...

Reply #56November 29, 2009, 11:04:52 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2009, 11:04:52 pm »
sooooo I need a different block?  will the hydro aaz head not work?  I am sooo confused.  hate to change the subject, but should I use the aaz injection pump or the 1.6 Turbo pump?  I am told the 1.6 is better because of the superior boost pin design is 350.00 a good price for one of the 1.6 pumps?  It is rebuilt.

thanks again,

Kevin
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #57November 29, 2009, 11:10:30 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2009, 11:10:30 pm »
I would really rather have a turbo 1.6 block "for strength and the 12mm holes" and already setup for hydro lifters, I'll sell this one then or trade.  The easier the better here.  DMAN, and I drove all the way up to Sacremento to get this thing too.  Really good block, has cross hatching still visible and stock bores.  I'll clean it all up before I sell/trade it how much would you say it's worth?  I want to make sure that I get the right one next time "hydro with the bump in between 1&2"  got it...... learning........ exspensive............ now I know why people pay sooo much for college.

Thanks again,

Kevin
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #58November 29, 2009, 11:18:56 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
Re: 1.5 rot assy. 1.6 TD bottom end 1.9 head project RECAP
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2009, 11:18:56 pm »
Ok, so far what I have learned is that for this particular setup you will need a later built 1.6 turbo block "for the strength and 12mm holes and for the oil squirters" an complete 1.5 rotating assy.  The block needs to be a hydro block because the aaz head you will need will have hydro lifters and to make things easy the block needs to be in tip top shape because the 1.5 overbore pistons are uber rare.  You will need a complete aaz head with injectors, the non-tdi head, to be more specific.  you will need the arp 12mm studs, a metal head gasket, the 1.6 turbo injection pump is preferred as well as the oil pump "due to the demand of the oil sqirters, and the superior design of the 1.6 turbo pumps boost pin".  I think thats it so far, I'll have to edit this as we go along.
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #59November 29, 2009, 11:20:31 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2009, 11:20:31 pm »
I was looking through other parts of the forum and wondered, will I need an oil cooler?  I plan to eventually exceed 25 psi boost.  so..... good I dea to make plans, or no don't bother?
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Fixmyvw.com