Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: valve ticking and IP settings  (Read 2929 times)

October 10, 2005, 10:14:33 pm

ejust

• Junior

valve ticking and IP settings
« on: October 10, 2005, 10:14:33 pm »
i just got dun with changing the hard gasket on my Jetta (86 TD) and now the vavles tick like crazy. Anything i can do to stop it out side of replacing the lifters. It has hydraulic lifters (tappets). Sounds like there not pumping back up now.

Also, does anyone know what stock setting on the IP is? Im having a problem with the car at idle. If idle gets to low (below 950) it just dies. If its idling fine and i turn on electrical accessories, itll cause it to drop down and die. I can turn up the fueling to help this, but then the idle is at 1100 or more. Any ideas? No one seems to wanna help me on this pump at all

Seems like to many people wanna hide info on the pump and i dont know why. Feel free to send replies to [email protected].  Thanks

V-dubs r cool n Audi's rule,
German cars make me drool!
'86 Jetta TD (Hoop-D)
'86 Audi 5000S

Reply #1October 11, 2005, 03:59:20 pm

ejust

• Junior

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 03:59:20 pm »
can can i do to fix the idle problem then?? Is the spring shot? Guess im gonna have to crack it open and find out. if i turn up the fueling, i can get it to idle around 900 as long as i dont turn on many elec accesorries, but then the car smokes like crazy.
'86 Jetta TD (Hoop-D)
'86 Audi 5000S

Reply #2October 11, 2005, 04:00:54 pm

ejust

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 04:00:54 pm »
i also have a mechanical guage for oil... have it connected at the cyl head where the one switch would be. It shows 50-75psi when cold, then drops to 10-12 at idle when warmed up.
'86 Jetta TD (Hoop-D)
'86 Audi 5000S

Reply #3October 11, 2005, 04:28:08 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 04:28:08 pm »
He does work for fuel injection shop and the methods he uses are trade secrets. that's their livelihood. no one seems to have been able to produce the results that this guy does, so although i'd love to know what he does as much as the next guy, i respect his decision not to go blabbering around the internet about it. cheers.

Reply #4October 11, 2005, 05:16:11 pm

ejust

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 05:16:11 pm »
i know you not suppose to use the fueling screw to do so..however...if i dont..it wont stay running.
According to my one Bentley... theres an idle adjusment on the side of the pump (i have a 86 TD) thats connected to the timing advance of the cold start cam. The idle stop screw is set AFTER you get you idle set to proper specs (approx 850 +/- 30rpms). Then you pull the cold start lever and set the idle speed boost stop screw (mine has the idle boost feature). The cold start in first detent position is suppose to increase idle about 60rps and the second position increase it about 200 and advances the timing. The timing cam (at the bottom of the pump) acts upon a rod..about 5-6in long.has a threaded nut at top and a spring. That rod acts upon the idle speed cam at the upper part of the pump. No matter how i adjust.. it wants to die unless i up the fueling. The residule is SUPPOSE to be set at 1/2 turn backed off of the point where idle would be increased. So thats where im at and i hope your understanding where im coming from now. LOL  This car is unfortunately turning into a nightamre for me. Ive never had this much problems with the gassers. And thats sad cause i love the little diesel and the rattle it makes.
'86 Jetta TD (Hoop-D)
'86 Audi 5000S

Reply #5October 11, 2005, 08:17:27 pm

vwmike

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 08:17:27 pm »
While I'd have to agree that it is a bit frustrating that there is virtually no info out there on pumps and pump modifications, I have to agree that Giles is within his rights not to talk about what he does. He has a lot of time and most likely money involved in what he has developed and it is therefore his own intellectual property and we can only surmise what has been done. In a way though, I kind of enjoy that because nobody has spoiled the challenge for me. I know that I walk a fine line in keeping some things to myself, while trying to assist others the best I can. I've done a lot of things which people have said could never be done and I find a sense of pride in that so in a way it is sometimes difficult to keep my mouth shut.....but I do so because I hope to have a successful business in time and a lot of that hinges on proprietary designs and technology.

Reply #6October 12, 2005, 12:30:06 am

DVST8R

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 12:30:06 am »
Well I obviously don't adjust my pump right  :P , as I turn up the fuel and then I unscrew the min rpm right out and keep turning up the fuel 'till I have about an 1100 rpm idle, without any signs of runaway. I don't know if I can recomend it as the way to set your pump but it works for me.

[Aside]As the first Vendor on the forum, I will try to keep my "pimping" to the vendor's section. Although if I have a product that will solve, or enhance sombodies effort in a tech area I will let them know it is availble, I will continue to provide tech where I have information to share. We don't have any top secret mods just a few skills, and idea's.[/Aside]
The Brett of the board...

The Dark Side of Beauty.[/i]

Reply #7October 12, 2005, 05:20:52 pm

ejust

• Junior

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 05:20:52 pm »
Thanks for the tips everyone.. i guess it boils down to a one thing..
everything is shot..the motor and why it ticks and the pump why it doesnt adjust right anymore and the economy is not the greatest.  I guess its been one heck of a learning curve thats for sure. Sure wish i had the knowledge that Giles has, but then again if i did, i wouldnt have to ask all these questions now would I. But after it all, and reading a ton of these posts from mods, to maintenance..ive learned alot obout diesels anyhow.
$900 for a rebuild of the pump and 1500 for a eninge rebuild is out of my question so all i can do now is try to keep it going and run it till it drops. hell, maybe ill try WVO come springtime. Cant hurt at this point can it? LOL
'86 Jetta TD (Hoop-D)
'86 Audi 5000S