Engine Specific Info and Questions > IDI Engine

InterCooler for 1.9TD

(1/3) > >>

wasteland_TD:
Hi guys.
I want to put intercooler(i have already one from 1.9TDi) on my 1.9TD AAZ.
My question is : should I increase the turbo pressure or not.
10x a lot..... :D

type53b_gtd:

--- Quote from: "wasteland_TD" ---My question is : should I increase the turbo pressure or not.

--- End quote ---

Well, do you WANT to increase the turbo pressure? :)

Installing an intercooler does not mean you have to turn up the boost, however the intercooler's benefits will be noticed most above 6psi, assuming an efficient  installation.

There will be some pressure drop across the intercooler - you want to keep this to a minimum by having a correctly sized, well designed intercooler and plumbing  with short tubing runs and a minimum number of bends.  You will not be able to compensate for pressure lost across the intercooler by turning up boost at the turbo however.

If you have a K03 turbo, you're not likely to get much more than 15 PSI out of iit reliably - my wastegate is set to 12 psi, but I have seen boost creep as high as 15psi due to a lousy wastegate exhaust design.

wasteland_TD:
10x for the answer  type53b_gtd :)
my turbo is Garett
i asked about  turbo boost, becouse some friends told me that i must at all cost increase the turbo pressure if i put intercooler  :shock: !?!? however i don`t want to touch(change) my turbo pressure.Is it necessery!? Now the turbo pressure is at factory settings...0.8Bars i think.
I think the cooler from 1.9TDi (90h.p.) will fit great on my 1.9TD(i hope so.....)
what do you think........?

type53b_gtd:
An intercooler by itself will not increase power output unless you are already overfuelling at higher boost (which is not likely to be the case on a stock 1.9TD)

The intercooler serves to lower the temperature of the intake air charge and increase its density.  More air + same amount of fuel = less smoke.  If you turn up the fuel (through one of several documented modifications to the pump) then more air+ more fuel = more power.

An inefficient intercooler or a poorly placed one robs the engine of power.  It must be installed in an area with positive airflow to allow for effective cooling of the air charge.  The stock TDI intercooler locations are a compromise - the intercooler has a relatively small frontal area, is deep, and air is ducted to its mildly obscure location.

I would start by completing your intercooler installation, trying to make as few compromises in ideal design as possible.  Then try to get a feel for intercooler efficiency, ideally by measuring the ambient,  turbine outlet and intake manifold air temperatures and calculating it with this formula:

Temp In-Temp Out
------------------------       X 100 = Thermal Efficiency
Temp In-Temp Ambient

After you are satisfied that you have a decent intercooler installation (65% or better efficiency is probably acceptable for a backyard install) then you can move on to adjusting fuelling and boost levels to attain more power....

Drew

wasteland_TD:
so if I only put an intercooler i will not get more power.So i must give more fuel from the pump.
hmmm.... :oops:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version