S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: InterCooler for 1.9TD  (Read 12319 times)

June 24, 2004, 10:42:51 am

wasteland_TD

• User+

InterCooler for 1.9TD
« on: June 24, 2004, 10:42:51 am »
Hi guys.
I want to put intercooler(i have already one from 1.9TDi) on my 1.9TD AAZ.
My question is : should I increase the turbo pressure or not.
10x a lot..... :D

1.9TD AAZ

Reply #1June 24, 2004, 11:07:07 am

type53b_gtd

• Junior

• http://scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca/gtd/
Re: InterCooler for 1.9TD
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 11:07:07 am »
Quote from: "wasteland_TD"
My question is : should I increase the turbo pressure or not.

Well, do you WANT to increase the turbo pressure? :)

Installing an intercooler does not mean you have to turn up the boost, however the intercooler's benefits will be noticed most above 6psi, assuming an efficient  installation.

There will be some pressure drop across the intercooler - you want to keep this to a minimum by having a correctly sized, well designed intercooler and plumbing  with short tubing runs and a minimum number of bends.  You will not be able to compensate for pressure lost across the intercooler by turning up boost at the turbo however.

If you have a K03 turbo, you're not likely to get much more than 15 PSI out of iit reliably - my wastegate is set to 12 psi, but I have seen boost creep as high as 15psi due to a lousy wastegate exhaust design.

Reply #2June 24, 2004, 11:18:59 am

wasteland_TD

• User+

InterCooler for 1.9TD
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 11:18:59 am »
10x for the answer  type53b_gtd :)
my turbo is Garett
i asked about  turbo boost, becouse some friends told me that i must at all cost increase the turbo pressure if i put intercooler  :shock: !?!? however i don`t want to touch(change) my turbo pressure.Is it necessery!? Now the turbo pressure is at factory settings...0.8Bars i think.
I think the cooler from 1.9TDi (90h.p.) will fit great on my 1.9TD(i hope so.....)
what do you think........?
1.9TD AAZ

Reply #3June 24, 2004, 11:44:14 am

type53b_gtd

• Junior

InterCooler for 1.9TD
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 11:44:14 am »
An intercooler by itself will not increase power output unless you are already overfuelling at higher boost (which is not likely to be the case on a stock 1.9TD)

The intercooler serves to lower the temperature of the intake air charge and increase its density.  More air + same amount of fuel = less smoke.  If you turn up the fuel (through one of several documented modifications to the pump) then more air+ more fuel = more power.

An inefficient intercooler or a poorly placed one robs the engine of power.  It must be installed in an area with positive airflow to allow for effective cooling of the air charge.  The stock TDI intercooler locations are a compromise - the intercooler has a relatively small frontal area, is deep, and air is ducted to its mildly obscure location.

I would start by completing your intercooler installation, trying to make as few compromises in ideal design as possible.  Then try to get a feel for intercooler efficiency, ideally by measuring the ambient,  turbine outlet and intake manifold air temperatures and calculating it with this formula:

Temp In-Temp Out
------------------------       X 100 = Thermal Efficiency
Temp In-Temp Ambient

After you are satisfied that you have a decent intercooler installation (65% or better efficiency is probably acceptable for a backyard install) then you can move on to adjusting fuelling and boost levels to attain more power....

Drew

Reply #4June 24, 2004, 11:50:31 am

wasteland_TD

• User+

InterCooler for 1.9TD
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 11:50:31 am »
so if I only put an intercooler i will not get more power.So i must give more fuel from the pump.
hmmm.... :oops:
1.9TD AAZ

Reply #5June 24, 2004, 12:03:27 pm

type53b_gtd

• Junior

InterCooler for 1.9TD
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004, 12:03:27 pm »
Generally this is true, yes.  You can see  power increases with an intercooler install if you have "adequate" fuelling on boost to the point that you have smoke out the tailpipe - especially with high ambient temperatures.  However, the AAZ is pretty conservatively fueled on boost to start with.

Have a gander at this thread - there's some relevant information in there about AAZ modifications:

http://www.vwdiesel.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=173

Reply #6June 25, 2004, 11:30:21 pm

Cheesetoast

• Veteran

InterCooler for 1.9TD
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004, 11:30:21 pm »
what about a top mount intercooler with a subaru hood scoop, would that work well? you could minimize the pipe length, but would it be as efficient as a front mount for cooling?

Reply #7June 26, 2004, 06:57:06 am

type53b_gtd

• Junior

InterCooler for 1.9TD
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2004, 06:57:06 am »
Quote from: "Cheesetoast"
what about a top mount intercooler with a subaru hood scoop, would that work well? you could minimize the pipe length, but would it be as efficient as a front mount for cooling?

Generally, no - the same intercooler installed at the front of the car will be more efficient than were it installed elsewhere in the engine bay and fed via ducting or a hood scoop.  Intercoolers are prone to heat soak, and it's not good when they add heat to the intake air instead of taking it away.

However, that does not mean a bad FMIC installation will still be better than a good ducted/hood scoop installation.

The A2 GTDs used ducting to deliver air to the intercooler which was located above the gearbox.

Reply #8June 27, 2004, 03:08:04 am

wasteland_TD

• User+

InterCooler for 1.9TD
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2004, 03:08:04 am »
type53b_gtd
I observed , when the car is cold or the air is cool(in the morning) the car runs GREAT, but when it`s becomming hot (for example - afternoon 35 degrees of temperature) the power reduces sensibly.......
my point is.....i want to put intercooler only to keep the power as the car is cold, i don`t want to increase fueling to take much more horse power.....
is that possible....only with fitting of intercooler
10x a lot
1.9TD AAZ

Reply #9June 27, 2004, 02:11:45 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

InterCooler for 1.9TD
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2004, 02:11:45 pm »
i know what you mean about the differences in ambiant air temperatures... it really seems to affect boosted engines more than naturally aspirated. i have a G60 that is a blast to drive.. but its a summer only car. the odd time that i've had to out in the dead of winter far below freezing, the difference in power was significant, i was very surprised (and began thinking about a G60 for a winter car  :lol: ) colder air is more dense and generally yields more power.. i notice it a lot more in the G60 than the TD but it is noticable in the TD car as well.

intercooling certainly wont hurt. i'd put an IC on there and see how you feel about it... decide later if you want to start upping the fuel etc etc. an intercooler will only help both performance and engine life and hopefully will give the car more of the peppy feeling you've been experiencing on cold mornings.

QuickTD has a very tidy intercooler install on his mkIII Jetta, 1.9l TD i wonder if he'll post some pics for us  :D

Reply #10June 28, 2004, 01:15:39 am

Cheesetoast

• Veteran

InterCooler for 1.9TD
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2004, 01:15:39 am »
yes, please do! i'm looking to do a intercooler in mine asap.  i drove a vw cruise today ,which involved going up a mountain for about a solid 15 minute climb, about 1km from the top i got major heat soak, i figure i was down to about 30hp, at 80kmph in 4th gear foot to the floor, not much was happening.  cooled it down for 5 minutes, was fine.

also, could i wire up my radiator fan so i can set the fans on full speed with a switch when i need to, like in this case when i know the car will get very hot? my car has a low temp thermostat i beleive, the temp stays in the first quarter most of the time, on this hill clinb it got just over half before i let off.

Quote from: "BlackTieTD"

QuickTD has a very tidy intercooler install on his mkIII Jetta, 1.9l TD i wonder if he'll post some pics for us  :D

Reply #11June 28, 2004, 08:25:30 am

QuickTD

• Veteran

InterCooler for 1.9TD
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2004, 08:25:30 am »
Ask and ye shall receive...

This location was used in order to preserve the AC. No room for front mounting in an AC equipped A3.  While it's not ideal, it does "soak" to some extent if I'm standing still or crawling along in traffic, I think it's a good compromise. The plumbing is short and simple with very low pressure drop. Cooling air is ducted in from the space above the rad. I moved some wiring and cut away some plastic to improve the flow. Judging by the quantity of bugs the IC collects I'd say airflow is excellent... Intake temps rarely exceed 40ºC, measured with a thermocouple.

- Edited 50 times to get the images working :x ... Why does it always have to be so difficult?

S-PAutomotive.com