Author Topic: Window crank handle clearance  (Read 2921 times)

October 31, 2009, 02:38:03 am

Rabbit TD

• Veteran

Window crank handle clearance
« on: October 31, 2009, 02:38:03 am »
I know someone else out there has run into this problem and how to get around it.  I just put a better radio and speakers in my Rabbit and am having trouble since the window crank won't clear the grills on the 6.5 speakers I put in.  The car only had the little 3.5's in the dash prior but have a hole for a 6.5 in in the door itself.  I have looked online and couldn't find a set of 5 1/4's either with a flat grille like they used to make years ago and I finaly decided on a set of Pioneer 6.5's with a grill that is about 3/4 in. higher than the door pannel which won't allow clearance for the little flat Rabbit window crank to clear the grill and they were the thinnest ones I could find.  The 5 1/4 in. ones I first bought actualy had an even wider and thicker grill.  What have some of you done to get clearance here, is there a different crank that will clear or is there an actual flat grill (old metal style) that can be purchased.  I have looked everywhere and cannot find an actual flush grill anywhere like they used to make, Radio Shack used to have every size imaginable  but I don't think they sell things like that anymore.  I don't know why these speaker manufacurers think you need a grill 3/4 in or more thick, I've seen some as much as an inch and a half thick and leaving most of the speaker exposed on top of it.  I bet they sound good wth a half dozen dead bugs in there bouncing around after a while. This thing isn't a show car but I don't want a pair of visegrips clamped on at an angle either and of course power windows are out of the question.

Reply #1October 31, 2009, 02:56:25 am

Syncroincity

• Veteran

Re: Window crank handle clearance
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 02:56:25 am »
How 'bout these;

WINDOW CRANK SPACERS
JC McCavitt
'86 Syncro GL Camper AAZ
'98 Jetta Wolfie
'04 Passat Variant GLS 4Mo 5MT

Reply #2November 03, 2009, 08:18:30 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 08:18:30 pm »
How 'bout these;

WINDOW CRANK SPACERS

Yeah and if that ain't enough get two sets and stack 'em up ;D.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #3November 04, 2009, 12:28:57 am

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 12:28:57 am »
Too bad they couldn't be about 10-15 pair.

That is a really neat item though.
I'm surprised to see it even.

Another option would be hacksawing the crank stud ends off.
Welding in a spacer - and weld the splined end back on to the spacer.

Or if you have another set of old crank studs - like from the rear of a 4door - could cut them off at a desired length and weld those right on. Probably ANY pre-mk4 VW window crank will be suitable to use for the parts.

If you don't want to buy the ebay pieces. In case they are too short.

Fixmyvw.com