S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Toyota Diesel  (Read 9011 times)

October 05, 2005, 11:57:58 am

VWRacer

• Veteran

Toyota Diesel
« on: October 05, 2005, 11:57:58 am »
Anybody know anything about the '83 Toyota diesel? I had one in a Toyota pickup in the mid-80's and was underwhelmed at its performance. I ask because there is an '83 engine for sale for parts (spun bearing) locally, and I'm wondering if the injection pump might be worth playing with.

Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #1October 05, 2005, 12:36:02 pm

zyewdall

• Veteran

Toyota Diesel
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 12:36:02 pm »
This is what one of the Boulder Biodiesel folks who owns an '85 yota said on the post there last week...  I think he may have mentioned another forum that has info too.

"22r to an L series toyota diesel is a pretty common and simple swap, from what I understand. Here are the 4 cyl. diesel engines used in toyotas from that era used in the states. All can be installed without crazy fabrication and cutting and welding, I think.

1L - NA 2.2 liter
2L - NA 2.4 liter
2LT - turbocharged 2.4 liter

Go with the 2LT if you can get one, unless you just want to drive slow. The 2Ls will crawl and pull well (relatively speaking, of course, its still a 2.4 liter) and get better mileage, but you'll suffer in the mountains and on the highway without the turbo. 2LT more complex and expensive, of course.

Toyota uses an electric fuel cutoff solenoid, but the cold start advance is mechanical. Everything involving injection timing is mechanical. The 2LT uses some wires for the turbo, but even that is still mostly pneumatic. There's a temperature sensor that dumps the boost I think when it heats up too much. Otherwise I think the fuel advance for boost is control by an air line, and the overboost dump is mechanical.

Wire up the glow plugs manually, don't try and figure out the Toyota Super Glow system, the timer will fail eventually anyway.

There is a good discussion forum for Toyota diesels at www.toyotadieselmadness.com where you can find info on getting the engines and doing the swaps. There are several other engines people use in trucks - 3L, 2LT-E, 1KZ-TE, . . . . but I don't know much about those.

John"

Hope this helps.  Was your old one the non-turbo?

Zeke
'84 Mitsubishi 4x4 2.3L turbo biodiesel pickup
'91 VW Rabbit GTI with 1.6 biodiesel transplant
'81 Toyota longbed 2wd 2.2NA biodiesel pickup (for sale)
'89 Subaru 4x4 touring wagon
 '82 subaru 4x4 TDI wagon -- project on hold
1976 Ford Sasquatch pickup

Reply #2October 05, 2005, 12:47:28 pm

VWRacer

• Veteran

Toyota Diesel
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 12:47:28 pm »
Thanks for the info Zeke. Do you happen to know if the pump is a Bosch built under license? Sort of a cloaked Cummins 4bt?  :wink:

Yes, I had the non-turbo engine in my Toyota. I had a diesel 1.5NA VW Rabbit at the time and was quite satisfied with its performance, so bought the Toyota without giving much thought to its relative lack thereof. After driving it for a few weeks, though, I sorely wished I had bought the turbo version. 8)
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #3October 05, 2005, 12:57:19 pm

zyewdall

• Veteran

Toyota Diesel
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 12:57:19 pm »
I don't know what sort of pump the toyota uses.  I believe that the pump for my Mitsubishi is a cloaked bosch -- especially since all the bosch timing tools work on it.  Some people have also said that the Mitsubishi looks just like a little cummins with the last two cylinders missing.   I just took a look at the toyotadieselmadness forums, and it looks like they have some good stuff there.  I bet you can find out about the injector pumps.

Yeah, I like the turbo on my truck.   Apparently it's pretty darn slow if the turbo goes out -- it is 3,600 lbs empty weight, which is alot more than a rabbit...
'84 Mitsubishi 4x4 2.3L turbo biodiesel pickup
'91 VW Rabbit GTI with 1.6 biodiesel transplant
'81 Toyota longbed 2wd 2.2NA biodiesel pickup (for sale)
'89 Subaru 4x4 touring wagon
 '82 subaru 4x4 TDI wagon -- project on hold
1976 Ford Sasquatch pickup

Reply #4October 05, 2005, 01:32:02 pm

VWRacer

• Veteran

Toyota Diesel
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 01:32:02 pm »
I did a search on their website and found a thread with these scanned pages. Looks like a Bosch VE to me...I wonder what its internal specs are?  :wink:

Good to see that there are lots of other diesel fans out there!  :D

PS - You might wish to save these pics in case their website cuts us off.
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #5November 07, 2005, 01:33:38 pm

houseofdiesel

• Junior

Toyota Diesel
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 01:33:38 pm »
I have a 1986 4X4 pick up with 2LT, it is a Nippen Denso injection pump, looks like they took a Bosch inline pump and copied it.
Greg