S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: T/D pump ready to instal {I hope}  (Read 2860 times)

October 15, 2009, 08:39:02 pm

Rabbit TD

• Veteran

T/D pump ready to instal {I hope}
« on: October 15, 2009, 08:39:02 pm »
I just went down to the garage today and tested my t/d pump again since I rebuilt it a year ago and couldn't get to run.  I took it back apart to verify things like being 180 out and the hole in the thrust collar being the right way and the position of the throttle indexing ect.  I put the pump in the vise with fuel and return lines and a fuel filter on it and had some spare injector lines and injectors so I stuck the lines on also and tried an injector on each line one at a time of course because the drill won't turn all that at one time and some lines on the end of the open injector lines shooting back into my fuel supply can.. The solenoid works fine, the injectors fire when fastened and the volume of spray changes with the throttle position while the pump is spinning, the advance lever seems to work as it will move the dial gauge with movement of the lever.  And most of all the damn thing doesn't seem to leak and I spun this thing a lot today.  It obviously seems fine but I did all this last year too with the exception of actualy firing an injector but it really shot fuel out the discharge nozzles under full throttle while spinning the pump with the drill but i could never get the engine to continue to run when cranking.  I checked and changed the timing numerous times from 1.0 up and down, pump was full of fuel at the time also.  At that time I said the hell with it and just put the N/A pump back on and thought I'd wait till Fall to mess with it more after I got laid off.  That time is here, I have messed with it, all seems fine {as it did then too} and I'm ready to give it another shot.  This time I have a new clear fuel in line and a lift pump also to help diagnose any problems.  Wish me luck ???  This should be a pleasant surprise if it works as the engine is pretty well broken in now and starts with just a bump on the old N/A pump and rebuilt Giles T/D injectors and I have gotten some bugs out of the swap over the past year as well.  I hope I got the one that wouldn't let the T/D pump run back then ;D

Fixmyvw.com