Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Whares the blower fan?  (Read 3459 times)

October 11, 2009, 11:12:06 pm

dyoungen

• Junior

Whares the blower fan?
« on: October 11, 2009, 11:12:06 pm »
I'm getting my MKII 1985 Jetta ready to put on the road and have a few questions. Where is the inside fan for the heater and a/c? I think it might be history because when I turn on the fan switch, nothing happens. How many quarts of oil for an oil change? I'm in the starter changing buisness right now and was wondering about changing the two long mounting bolts. Both of mine had the heads stripped before I had the chance. I'd like to replace them with hex head bolts if I can find any.

Reply #1October 12, 2009, 03:08:36 am

cyrus #1

• Veteran

Re: Whares the blower fan?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 03:08:36 am »
The blower is located sort of right below the front passenger side speaker.  I assume you checked the fuse?  Does it work at all on full blast?

Is the Jetta TD or NA?  NA engines will need about 4 quarts.  TD engines should need about 4.5.

It should be fine to replace the starter bolts.  The only thing is the OEM ones have a cone point on the end to aid with alignment while installing...
Cody

2002 Jetta TDI
2000 Jetta TDI - R.I.P.
1990 Jetta 8v-Eventually to be 1.6TD

Reply #2October 12, 2009, 01:22:15 pm

dyoungen

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 01:22:15 pm »
I checked all the fuses and they all are ok. The fan doesn't work at all, that's why I was wondering where it was. How hard is it to get to the fan?
Mine is a Jetta n/a. Looks like it hadn't been changed lately.
I found a shop that has all kinds of nuts and bolts. I called them this morning and told them what I needed and they had the size and length. I"m going to go back with hex head instead of the cap screw.

Reply #3October 12, 2009, 03:15:03 pm

Turbinepowered

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 03:15:03 pm »
I checked all the fuses and they all are ok. The fan doesn't work at all, that's why I was wondering where it was. How hard is it to get to the fan?
Mine is a Jetta n/a. Looks like it hadn't been changed lately.
I found a shop that has all kinds of nuts and bolts. I called them this morning and told them what I needed and they had the size and length. I"m going to go back with hex head instead of the cap screw.

Diesel oil will go black almost immediately after an oil change, so you can't really tell just by looking at it how long it's been. Set up a schedule for yourself and stick to it and you shouldn't have problems.

If getting to the fan in a MkII is anything like getting to the fan in a Quantum or Fox, expect to be pulling the dash. It's possible  you could unfasten the box located in the rain tray under the hood (that section waaaaaay back in the back of the engine compartment, separated by sheetmetal). There are some clips that hold the box together, pop them off and the cover should come off. Don't lose those clips, even though they are a real PITA to put back on sometimes you can't replace them easily.

Reply #4October 12, 2009, 05:40:37 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 05:40:37 pm »
http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=20448.0

In the FAQ there.

This is one of My Least favorite jobs of the entire car. I pulled the dash with 2 people...there are 2 studs in the dash that go through to the raintray >:( Have fun.

Reply #5October 13, 2009, 12:55:18 am

Quantum TD

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 12:55:18 am »
You don't need to remove the dash to replace the fan motor (or the resistor for that matter) on a MK2 car. Just remove the glove box, and undo the bolts and screws that secure the dash on the passenger side. You can tilt the dash enough to get the motor out if it's bad.

Reply #6October 15, 2009, 12:30:03 am

dyoungen

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 12:30:03 am »
Thanks guys. It's supposed to stop raining tomorrow so I"ll be playing in the Jetta. Now that I have some idea what to look for.

S-PAutomotive.com