S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: more supercharger talk  (Read 94034 times)

Reply #450March 08, 2010, 10:35:38 pm

Turbinepowered

• Veteran

Re: more supercharger talk
« Reply #450 on: March 08, 2010, 10:35:38 pm »
My vote would be to start from scratch: you can be certain to align it properly, and tuck it in nice and tight to the other assemblies, possibly make it much easier for you to mount radiator/intercooler and other such.

Good luck!

Reply #451March 08, 2010, 10:40:28 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #451 on: March 08, 2010, 10:40:28 pm »
I agree with fabbing from scratch. Plus if for whatever reason you decide to go back to the g-60 you already have the mount.
Tyler

Reply #452March 08, 2010, 11:09:20 pm

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #452 on: March 08, 2010, 11:09:20 pm »
yeah, I was thinking that might be the way to go, tuck the charger in close, and the alt nice and low, kinda like where the PS pump is put on the car stock.

allow lots of room for stuff out front.

the mount shouldn't be too hard a flat plate attached to the block over the water pump to attach the charger to, and a pair of tabs for the alternator.

making it line up shouldn't be too hard, I have a spare motor to use for mock-up and fabrication, and since I have the non AC stuff to throw on it, I can even mount the serp pulleys on the spare block to make sure it all works perfectly, and get the proper belt for it as well.

I have a welder(little stick welder, but it works good for thicker mild steel) but I dont have a plasma cutter or cutting torch, so I will have to find one to borrow for the project.

-Owen
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #453March 09, 2010, 09:32:40 am

Turbinepowered

• Veteran

« Reply #453 on: March 09, 2010, 09:32:40 am »
the mount shouldn't be too hard a flat plate attached to the block over the water pump to attach the charger to, and a pair of tabs for the alternator.

making it line up shouldn't be too hard, I have a spare motor to use for mock-up and fabrication, and since I have the non AC stuff to throw on it, I can even mount the serp pulleys on the spare block to make sure it all works perfectly, and get the proper belt for it as well.

I'm still working on similar for my own car, to put a good rotary AC compressor and the alternator on the manifold side of the block for my B-platform diesel serpentine setups.

Just ordered a good digital caliper with some centerline bore tips, so I can get nice, accurate measurements between boltholes...

If you end up buying a torch rather than borrowing (or borrowing, then buying because you find it so useful, like I did), don't cheap out on the brand. I did. It sucks. :(

Reply #454March 09, 2010, 11:22:43 am

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #454 on: March 09, 2010, 11:22:43 am »
I do have a cutting torch setup, and a good set.
its my dads old stuff, but I dont have a garage, so it stays in Homer at my parents house most of the time.
I may bring it up for the project(if my buddy does not mind having it at his shop for a while)

as for the calipers, I have a good set of dial calipers(again, used to be my dads) and have found that good measurements between bolt holes is really easy, all you have to do is measure between the left, or right sides of the holes(assuming they are the same diameter) and that measurement is the same as between the centers.

I also have a copy of AutoCad(and know how to use it well enough) so I can model things pretty well before hand, and could take said models down to the machine shop and have them cut it with the CNC plasma table too.

the only tool I dont have access too really is a drill press, which would really be a good thing to have.
maybe my buddy wouldn't mind housing one in his garage if I got it.

life sucks when you dont have a garage of your own...

-Owen
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #455March 09, 2010, 11:31:34 am

Turbinepowered

• Veteran

« Reply #455 on: March 09, 2010, 11:31:34 am »
as for the calipers, I have a good set of dial calipers(again, used to be my dads) and have found that good measurements between bolt holes is really easy, all you have to do is measure between the left, or right sides of the holes(assuming they are the same diameter) and that measurement is the same as between the centers.

Yeah, that'd work for most of the measurements I have to take, but some of my holes are irregular, and I'm also measuring from a flat surface to a hole center, so... it's a good investment. :D

Yes, a drill press is a very useful tool!

Reply #456March 09, 2010, 03:41:21 pm

the4ork

• Veteran

« Reply #456 on: March 09, 2010, 03:41:21 pm »
after going through a lot of this thread i thought to myself.... why would you go through all the trouble to put a gladder on your diesel? that thing is the worst supercharger and most reliable crap ever made! then i saw the pic of the broken cog belt and i just about laughed my self to death.

i wish it weren't the case, but those chargers are absolute garbage.

Reply #457March 09, 2010, 04:24:12 pm

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #457 on: March 09, 2010, 04:24:12 pm »
I will have to disagree with you there, the G60 is a good charger, that with routine maintenance can work well for a long period of time, the fact that mine broke has more to do with garbage parts from my parts supplier than the charger itself.

the G60 is the most efficient(over its range of RPM and pressure differential) positive displacement charger available.
if I could afford it I would buy another G60, but I cannot, so I will go with a much less efficient Eaton.
-Owen
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #458March 09, 2010, 06:50:06 pm

monomer

• Veteran

« Reply #458 on: March 09, 2010, 06:50:06 pm »
Ok, I think I'll read the past 34 pages in a minute here..

What parts did you need to fit the G60 on? - maybe a total overall cost. I'm looking into doing this while I build the turbo block on the side.
-1983 Rabbit LX 1.6/1.9 VNT build

Michigan Volkswagen Enthusiasts
www.michiganvw.org

Reply #459March 09, 2010, 06:57:31 pm

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #459 on: March 09, 2010, 06:57:31 pm »
I used the stock G60 bracket spaced form the block, and a 16V alternator with the G60 alt pulley.

total cost was under $600 for the whole engine rebuild and G60 bits and pieces.(but I got some good deals on most of it)

-Owen
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #460March 10, 2010, 11:55:50 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #460 on: March 10, 2010, 11:55:50 pm »
I was cleaning my garage today and moved some of the old aftermarket AC/alt brackets,.. to a different pile.
 The ones they used when they wanted to add AC to a non-AC Rabbit diesel.
Sounds like what you need as a base for the next charger bracket,..
want a pic?.
 I was thinking of posting it for sale in the classifieds,.. for laughs. It's like something from a Mad Max movie..

You are the first one I've heard of that has even tried building a supercharged diesel,.. respect.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #461March 10, 2010, 11:57:25 pm

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #461 on: March 10, 2010, 11:57:25 pm »
that might be something...
do you have a good pic of one?

-Owen
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #462March 11, 2010, 04:13:23 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

« Reply #462 on: March 11, 2010, 04:13:23 pm »
I stuck one on the waterpump to show how it sits,... supposed to be some rubber bushings for the holes but I doubt you'd want the bracket to move that much.

I'm not sure it's from a Rabbit diesel, can't remember what the gasser Rabbits used fo an AC bracket.

The rusty-looking one in the background has a bracket that goes over the injection pump mounting holes. Actually requires longer injection pump bolts to mount it.
 If you'd like either of these to use as a starting point for your new bracket, let me know.

Reply #463March 11, 2010, 08:03:27 pm

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #463 on: March 11, 2010, 08:03:27 pm »
you know, the one you have on the water pump looks like a a great place to start.

any idea what alternator is supposed to work with those?

-Owen
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #464March 11, 2010, 09:08:38 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

« Reply #464 on: March 11, 2010, 09:08:38 pm »
I don't know, probably meant for an AC alternator,..
 it would probably depend on what your adjuster bracket looked like.

S-PAutomotive.com