S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Replacing vent window, can I do it myself?  (Read 1821 times)

September 22, 2009, 02:04:00 pm

dangerous_D

• User+

Replacing vent window, can I do it myself?
« on: September 22, 2009, 02:04:00 pm »

Hello all.  Before I explain my situation I would like to mention that I have searched extensively on this forum, on the 'tex, and on google for an answer to my question.  I would also like to mention that I am having a horrible day.

I have 2 cars and only one parking spot, so usually the GTI sleeps inside and I park the Jetta on the street.  Yesterday morning I came outside to see the Jetta's driver side vent window smashed in.  Apparently the thief/crackhead then used the opening he created in the vent window to roll down the driver side window and gained entry through the window ala Dukes of Hazzard (my driver side door doesn't open without the key- the pin is no longer connected to the lock mechanism).  Anyhoo, I cursed quite a bit, took inventory (a$$hole took about $5 in change and 1 gallon of Rotella 5W-40), then put the Jetta in the garage and drove the GTI to work.  Seeing as the Jetta still had a broken window, I left her in the garage last night and parked the GTI on the street.  I awakened today to find the GTI driver side window smashed in.  I think the thief/crackhead made off with even less this time.  Luckily he didn't check the trunk and nab my audio gear.  I'm not sure if I have an enemy lurking about or if I'm terribly unlucky. 

There are more reasons I'm having a horrible day, but they are not car related so I shall not mention them here. 

I called a few places and they want ~$200 out-the-door to replace the vent window.  The car is 1981 2-door Jetta Special Edition 1.6 N/A.  The vent windows are fixed, but I believe they were originally the hinged/opening style from the factory.  I'm hoping someone can tell me how difficult the fixed vent windows are to replace.  I'm confident in my mechanical skills, but I've never worked with glass.  I was able to find the glass and the seals at 1stvwparts.com and ecstuning.com and they can be had for less than $75 all together.  Do I need to replace the seals?  They appear undamaged.  Do I need any other parts aside from the glass and the seal? 

I really appreciate any and all guidance!  Thanks!

1981 Jetta Diesel Coupe, Special Edition (1.6L NA with A/C)
2004 GTI 1.8T (also with A/C)

Reply #1September 22, 2009, 07:16:07 pm

the caveman

• Veteran

Re: Replacing vent window, can I do it myself?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 07:16:07 pm »
Not too hard, you will have to remove the door panel, window and winder i believe. Then the window guide.
" I'm a vegetarian,not because i love animals, it's because i hate plants"
1970 Type 3 fastback
1972 Renault 12
1971 Super Beetle 140 HP 159 ft lbs
1987 Fox
1989 TD Jetta
1990 Fox
1989 Fox
1998 TDI Jetta
1990 T3 German MIL Transporter 1.9 na Giles super pump
1997 Jetta GLX TDI

Reply #2September 23, 2009, 06:51:25 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 06:51:25 pm »
Yeah it's pretty easy, remove door card and there's some bolts inside that loosen the guide. I think under the door seal there's a screw that holds the top of the guide.

Sorry about all the break in's, some people are just scumbags I guess :'(
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #3September 28, 2009, 06:43:41 pm

dangerous_D

• User+

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 06:43:41 pm »

Thanks for the replies!  I found a kit in the Parts Place Inc. catalog for $49 (includes glass, bracket, and seals), which looks like a good deal.  Unfortunately I needed to make a last minute business trip so I paid almost 3 times that much to have an auto glass shop do the install same day.  I was nervous, as this is the first time someone other than me worked on the car, but he did a great job.
1981 Jetta Diesel Coupe, Special Edition (1.6L NA with A/C)
2004 GTI 1.8T (also with A/C)