Author Topic: Coolant system strangeness....  (Read 3340 times)

September 20, 2009, 07:31:41 pm

Darth Garry

• Junior

• http://www.notinteresting.com
Coolant system strangeness....
« on: September 20, 2009, 07:31:41 pm »
I have been having some difficulties with my cooling system lately, not so sure what the issue is.  First, the setup.  1.6L Turbo Diesel with intercooler.  Pretty much stock fuel setup, not making mad horsepower.

Removed OEM expansion tank and put in a big aluminum dual core radiator with 2 fans, and made a new expansion tank. 

Have the stock temp thermostat (just replaced) and stock temp fan switches.  Added an auto-meter gauge.  It has a sender in the coolant flange on the front of the head.

I am getting strange readings from this auto meter gauge.  It only happens when I pull a hill.  Temp always rides about 1/2 way up the stock gauge and about 190 on the autometer.  If I pull a hill and gas it on the way up though, the auto meter gauge slowly climbs to 210, and then in the span of about 5 seconds goes 210-250!.  It seems to me that it would be near impossible for the coolant to warm 40 degrees in 5 seconds so I think other factors are in play, either there is some type of vapor or localized boiling issue.  (running standard 50/50 mix with 16 pound cap), or headgasket trouble, or water pump trouble.  I don't believe it's headgasket trouble, the car runs great and does not smoke even when this is happening. 

Any ideas/suggestions for testing?  I'm hoping this does not bar me from going to h2o next weekend but I don't want to have a melt down 500 miles from home either.

Thanks all,

Garry

All for one, and one for Awesomeness!