Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Fried Fuse in panel......  (Read 2854 times)

September 16, 2009, 02:49:32 pm

Buddy

Fried Fuse in panel......
« on: September 16, 2009, 02:49:32 pm »
I am new to both VW as well as this forum, my first posting. I traded and inherited a 99 1/2 (new style body type) for some real estate and was very happy with the kms per tank of Diesel for my travelling. I have a mystery for most I have spoken with in that I was cruising one day with the A/C on and all of a sudden it went off. I checked the fuse panel only to find that the fuse that runs my fan for a/c, defrost, heating etc was fried/ and basically welded right into the fuse panel where you open the driver door to access it. I tried with needle nose plyers to pull it out, buy to no avail. It burnt off the number on the fuse and melted the plastic tray that the fuse goes into and fits in and I have gotten by for the past little while, however cold weather is coming and wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me, or heard of a similar situation. I live by Bouctouche/30 mins to Moncton and would appreciate any feedback anyone may have for me. Thanks so much in advance for your time. Kind regards, Danny

Reply #1September 17, 2009, 12:44:25 pm

macka

• Veteran

Re: Fried Fuse in panel......
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 12:44:25 pm »
persistance. If the fuse is truly welded in, You'll need to swap out the whole fuse box. Then check the circuit for the AC system and see where its messed up.
Quote from: Vincent Walden
I do know that I drive torque,  while listening to my friends prattle on about horsepower.

Reply #2September 17, 2009, 06:14:51 pm

the caveman

• Veteran

Re: Fried Fuse in panel......
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 06:14:51 pm »
This may not be exactly your problem ,but i once had a model like yours come into the shop that kept popping the AC fuse. Couldn't make it burn in the shop, tested everything. He came back one day ,fuse burned again. Get it running and up on the lift to see if there's a problem at the compressor or clutch. Just as the car was off the ground ,  pop went the fuse. It would burn every time we bounced the car hard up and down.Finally traced it to a wire behind the dash ,[yes i had to remove the whole thing] just to the left of the glove box. DON'T assume this is your problem, but another mechanic i know found the same wear issue on another Jetta
" I'm a vegetarian,not because i love animals, it's because i hate plants"
1970 Type 3 fastback
1972 Renault 12
1971 Super Beetle 140 HP 159 ft lbs
1987 Fox
1989 TD Jetta
1990 Fox
1989 Fox
1998 TDI Jetta
1990 T3 German MIL Transporter 1.9 na Giles super pump
1997 Jetta GLX TDI

S-PAutomotive.com