Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: TDI Injector Pump, Performance mods to it? Gilles?  (Read 3513 times)

August 31, 2009, 12:33:28 pm

G60ING

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Corrado TDI
    • My VW Projects
TDI Injector Pump, Performance mods to it? Gilles?
« on: August 31, 2009, 12:33:28 pm »
I know the TDI people can upgrade to 11mm but what can somebody like Gilles do to an AHU IP?

I friend and I were talking yesterday and I mentioned that if I had IP issues I'd probably just send it to one of the most know IP rebuilders for older VW IPs. He was wondering what Giles could do as he has 2 spare AHU IPs. His car is currently running an IP purchased as a rebuild from VW and it has timing issues. He has to set the timing two teeth off the Ip to get it to time properly and I trust he knows his car. He has had many conversations/tuning experiances with Charlie and Jeff and was even one of the UpSolute TDI turbo upgrade people that later ditched the setup.

So What could somebody like Gilles do to the IP?

Reply #1September 14, 2009, 12:21:57 pm

CdnVWJunkie

• Veteran

Re: TDI Injector Pump, Performance mods to it? Gilles?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 12:21:57 pm »
Why not call and talk directly to him?  He's a very nice guy and willing to discuss what you'd like done to your pump.

Reply #2September 18, 2009, 02:44:48 pm

myke_w

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 02:44:48 pm »
I have the same question.... :)

I've heard that the ALH pumps have better internals, but I can't verify that.

I'd very much like a modded real tdi pump for my mk2 -tdi project...

Help us Master Giles!
Contact me for hard to find for idi and tdi parts

Reply #3September 21, 2009, 02:12:28 pm

G60ING

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Corrado TDI
    • My VW Projects
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 02:12:28 pm »
Why not call and talk directly to him?  He's a very nice guy and willing to discuss what you'd like done to your pump.

I typically don't call venders with questions like this until I'm prepared to shell out funds. This way the vender doesn't have to waste his time on a nonpaying person. Plus I thought one of the people in his shop frequented this forum so I figured I'd ask.

Reply #4September 21, 2009, 02:22:02 pm

myke_w

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 02:22:02 pm »
I've been talking to Giles all week and have asked him some of these questions so I hope to post back if he'll indulge me with some details.

Really, if you are seriously considering having Giles do a pump, I doubt he'd mind discussing the details of your particular application, he's very approachable, and wants to make his customers happy, it's his bread and butter, just don't call up and ask stupid questions without first searching and I doubt it would be a problem.

He also answers emails very promptly, so you might consider that avenue if your question isn't of an urgent nature.

Reply #5September 21, 2009, 02:47:04 pm

G60ING

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Corrado TDI
    • My VW Projects
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 02:47:04 pm »
I've been talking to Giles all week and have asked him some of these questions so I hope to post back if he'll indulge me with some details.

Really, if you are seriously considering having Giles do a pump, I doubt he'd mind discussing the details of your particular application, he's very approachable, and wants to make his customers happy, it's his bread and butter, just don't call up and ask stupid questions without first searching and I doubt it would be a problem.

He also answers emails very promptly, so you might consider that avenue if your question isn't of an urgent nature.

Please post up what the possiblities are. I plan to email him when i get closter to needing his services. From what I've read he is the best with older VW injector pumps so imagine his experiance with the TDI IPs would yield some positive results.

Reply #6September 28, 2009, 06:50:19 am

oldskool rich

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 06:50:19 am »
pump piston/ head is easy to swap, especialy on the fly by wire pumps, all you need is the little triangle tool and sum new seals, it will take you 15 minits tops
we are always weary of what we dont know but once you take things apart it all becomes simple
im sure anyone whos taken a pump or an engine apart will agree with me

personly i wud rather *** it up a few times but gain priceless knowledge along the way, now i build engines for a living and if sumone cums to me with a pump ill build that too

f6squared I.D.S.T

Reply #7September 28, 2009, 07:30:36 am

myke_w

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 07:30:36 am »
I agree oldckool rich, but the differences in pumps I'm curious about are maybe not able to be detected with the naked eye, ie differences in electronic components, mild differences in camplates etc.

Reply #8September 30, 2009, 10:25:50 am

G60ING

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Corrado TDI
    • My VW Projects
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 10:25:50 am »
pump piston/ head is easy to swap, especialy on the fly by wire pumps, all you need is the little triangle tool and sum new seals, it will take you 15 minits tops
we are always weary of what we dont know but once you take things apart it all becomes simple
im sure anyone whos taken a pump or an engine apart will agree with me

personly i wud rather *** it up a few times but gain priceless knowledge along the way, now i build engines for a living and if sumone cums to me with a pump ill build that too

I"ve been there and done that with G60 superchargers and 02A transmissions and I'd rather pay for somebody's experiance then have to go through the whole learning curve. This is coming from somebody that has done just about every type of engine/car repair myself on my corrado. On the IP I'll let somebody with experiance like Gilles work his magic. There is not enough time in life once you get older and have a million things to do during a day.