Author Topic: Intercooler, size & material - also, KKK K03  (Read 2939 times)

June 20, 2004, 03:13:06 pm

DieselMonkey

• Junior

Intercooler, size & material - also, KKK K03
« on: June 20, 2004, 03:13:06 pm »
Guys,

A few questions. First off, my K03 has very little play side to side but i held the impellor nut and tried it up and down, and i was very worried at the amount of play, possibly 0.25 / 0.5 mm. Is this bad news ? It was to be re-built anyway, but any ideas on the cause ?

Also, when choosing my intercooler, i was going to have one custom made by a local firm. Is material used a big issue ?

Lastly, since i'm only going with a standard K03 for now, will a very big intercooler be necessary ?

I was going for one about 6" high, and as long as my front bumper inlet could take infront of the rad. Will i go for the biggest i can fit ?

I have been assured that larger intercooler and pipework doesnt reduce power in terms of boost lost through the system.

Look forward to any input.

Thanks. DM

Reply #1June 22, 2004, 02:13:43 am

phredde

• http://www.impellerheadz.com
Intercooler, size & material - also, KKK K03
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 02:13:43 am »
Axial bearing will not hold if you're running quite high boost, but I don't think 0.25mm is that much to worry about. At least I have these experiences with Garett T04E turbos, there the standard axial bearings only holds for about 1.3 bar and about 1.6 with the axial bearing bolted to the housing, a 360 degree axial bearing is the solution for higher boost (on garrett turbos, don't know yet how the kkk turbo is built)
Less Talk, More Action!