S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Anyone here promoting or running the 19:1 CR philosophy?  (Read 5899 times)

Reply #15August 11, 2009, 11:51:51 pm

Turbinepowered

• Veteran

Re: Anyone here promoting or running the 19:1 CR philosophy?
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 11:51:51 pm »
So if I were to make a frankenmotor.. Living in Canada what Could i do for winter starts? Good starter, wires, Gp's and battery?

will it suffice when i need it to start on a -15c day? I mean like i hear of some people having troubles with just a normal 1.6... What do you guys think? I would have to plug it in?

Prolly plug it in and maybe run an intake air grid heater, timered with your glow plug circuit? Cummins uses them, as do several other big engine manufacturers.

I don't really have to worry about cold start issues around here, coldest we get (for maybe a day) is -5C... :D Usually our winters are 3-7C, honestly. :D

Reply #16August 12, 2009, 01:38:03 am

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 01:38:03 am »
So if I were to make a frankenmotor.. Living in Canada what Could i do for winter starts? Good starter, wires, Gp's and battery?

will it suffice when i need it to start on a -15c day? I mean like i hear of some people having troubles with just a normal 1.6... What do you guys think? I would have to plug it in?

in a word...

YES!

lol

Reply #17August 12, 2009, 10:49:27 am

klang

• User+

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2009, 10:49:27 am »
50 psi eh?
how you gonna hold that head down?
how ya gonna keep the gasket from shooting out the side of the head?
i talked to some people on here, about my 2.0 audi (same engine as yours, minus one cylinder)
and they told me it could run 40 pretty reliably. but not with a stock head gasket or bolts.

I'll take some pics of my modifications of the block... =)
And I'm not the first to run at 50 PSI on these engines, but people are also full of ***, thats why I have a spare block  ;D

Are you sure the BMW M21 is Audi? Your not talking VAG? (I know its a VAG forum, but I like my BMW =)

And I'm not planning on running at 50PSI all the time, everyday. Everyday boost will be around 40PSI. With electronic controlled boost/boostcontroller.
My clutch is going to leave my at 800NM anyway.

Ive run 27PSI in my standard 1,6GTD.
Ive run around 30 PSI in my standard M21D24. (Then I added loads of Methanol+Water, and the *** went boom@43PSI)

Still, I cant tell you if its going to work, but I know atleast one guy running at 50PSI today, and the finnish guys run mercedes engines at 50PSI. (Youtube Mynä Diesel)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep-soNJ8D8Y&translated=1

Or do it this way http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcDztfFXPww&translated=1

And this is a album from a swedish guy who drives at 50PSI with the same engine as me: http://www.helgonet.ath.cx/album04

// klang

Reply #18August 12, 2009, 01:29:11 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2009, 01:29:11 pm »
with 50 psi of boost, you are going to need LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of fuel to even make that boost work for you. and your cylinder pressures are going to be off the charts.  what compression are you going to run? cause if you run 50 psi with roughly enough fuel for 30 psi to burn clean, its you will be making more power with the same amount of fuel and less boost. i used to run 30-40 in my rabbit 1.5, with almost no black smoke ever. had it just barely over stock fueling. then i turned down my boost to 20 psi , intercooled it and upped my fuel so it smoked like a freight train. way way more power than with 40 psi. i could never pull 3 gears of rubber with 40 psi.

and yea, im pretty sure BMW used the D24 also, just like volvo. just a 1.6 and a half. and if they did use the D24, then my audi engine will bolt right into your car. all the 5/6 cylinder engines had the same bell housing pattern.

Reply #19August 12, 2009, 03:49:28 pm

burnt_servo

• Veteran

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2009, 03:49:28 pm »
your comparing apples to oranges here .

just because one engine will do 50 psi boost  DOES NOT mean another engine will reliably  run at 50 psi .

the other problem you will run into , any turbo that will give decent spool up will be off it's map and overspooling at 50 psi and will eventually self destruct .

one of the bigest reasons the old mercedes can run very high boost pressures .... they have a cast iron head , which allows a more even clamping force onto the head gasket ......

anyways , i thought this was a vw forum , and a thread on boost pressure in the vw  engine ?

50 psi eh?
how you gonna hold that head down?
how ya gonna keep the gasket from shooting out the side of the head?
i talked to some people on here, about my 2.0 audi (same engine as yours, minus one cylinder)
and they told me it could run 40 pretty reliably. but not with a stock head gasket or bolts.

I'll take some pics of my modifications of the block... =)
And I'm not the first to run at 50 PSI on these engines, but people are also full of ***, thats why I have a spare block  ;D

Are you sure the BMW M21 is Audi? Your not talking VAG? (I know its a VAG forum, but I like my BMW =)

And I'm not planning on running at 50PSI all the time, everyday. Everyday boost will be around 40PSI. With electronic controlled boost/boostcontroller.
My clutch is going to leave my at 800NM anyway.

Ive run 27PSI in my standard 1,6GTD.
Ive run around 30 PSI in my standard M21D24. (Then I added loads of Methanol+Water, and the *** went boom@43PSI)

Still, I cant tell you if its going to work, but I know atleast one guy running at 50PSI today, and the finnish guys run mercedes engines at 50PSI. (Youtube Mynä Diesel)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep-soNJ8D8Y&translated=1

Or do it this way http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcDztfFXPww&translated=1

And this is a album from a swedish guy who drives at 50PSI with the same engine as me: http://www.helgonet.ath.cx/album04

// klang
1990 jetta , tweaked pump , tweaked turbo , ported head  2.5inch exhaust .

1993 dodge w250 , diesel ... removing the dead moose parts .

Reply #20August 12, 2009, 04:08:41 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2009, 04:08:41 pm »
cast iron heads and blocks inherently hold more booost. dont the mercs have more head bolts too? more head bolts would fix our vw's.

Reply #21August 12, 2009, 04:19:53 pm

MJF

• Veteran

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 04:19:53 pm »
Most Mercedes have aluminium heads. And om606 will make over 420hp@23psi, no need to huge boost. Also, no need to lower compression from stock.
'74 VW Scirocco TD
'86 Audi 80q 1,9TDic
'01 Audi A6q 2,5TDI

Reply #22August 12, 2009, 04:50:02 pm

burnt_servo

• Veteran

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2009, 04:50:02 pm »
Most Mercedes have aluminium heads. And om606 will make over 420hp@23psi, no need to huge boost. Also, no need to lower compression from stock.
anything pre 1985 was cast iron
1990 jetta , tweaked pump , tweaked turbo , ported head  2.5inch exhaust .

1993 dodge w250 , diesel ... removing the dead moose parts .

Reply #23August 13, 2009, 01:24:15 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2009, 01:24:15 pm »
in thinking that we only ever need about 35 psi max to these engines. if we cant make our desired power at 35 psi, then we need to tweek and tune. or get bigger nozzles  8)

Reply #24August 13, 2009, 01:54:29 pm

Turbinepowered

• Veteran

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2009, 01:54:29 pm »
in thinking that we only ever need about 35 psi max to these engines. if we cant make our desired power at 35 psi, then we need to tweek and tune. or get bigger nozzles  8)

I dare say that should say better nozzles. You need to be able to burn all the fuel you're dumping in, and if it's just a massive single-hole nozzle that's not gonna happen very well. Big smoke no love. :(

Seven hole nozzles for an IDI?  ;D

Reply #25August 13, 2009, 02:18:53 pm

zukgod1

• Veteran

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2009, 02:18:53 pm »
I don't have time for a huge reply right now but I was able to touch 40 psi on my original build, ARP Studs, Metal HG.
I used a 3 notch gasket when it called for a 1 notch and installed slightly larger pre cups.

Later I installed a 1 notch Metal HG and still ran around 25+ regularly. 11mm pump btw...

Need to add it ate 2 turbos.. They were WAY over speeding at those levels. Good thing I had a FMIC to help catch some of the turbo parts that flew through.

dan

99 Golf TDI (now CNG powered) , 82 TD Caddy

Reply #26August 13, 2009, 03:24:58 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2009, 03:24:58 pm »

I dare say that should say better nozzles. You need to be able to burn all the fuel you're dumping in, and if it's just a massive single-hole nozzle that's not gonna happen very well. Big smoke no love. :(

Seven hole nozzles for an IDI?  ;D

why dont they make nozzles that have tons of little holes? you would think it would atomize way way better than one or a few bigger holes.

Reply #27August 13, 2009, 05:37:27 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2009, 05:37:27 pm »
why dont they make nozzles that have tons of little holes? you would think it would atomize way way better than one or a few bigger holes.

They do. They are used in low compression gasoline engines  :P They are also in the intake.

Atomization isn't the only thing you need to worry about. The rate of the burn directly effects noise levels as well as the stress put on the crank/rods etc. The mechanical advantage of the crank is very low near TDC. It's at it's peak half way down the bore.
Tyler

Reply #28August 14, 2009, 10:29:29 am

Turbinepowered

• Veteran

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2009, 10:29:29 am »

They do. They are used in low compression gasoline engines  :P They are also in the intake.

Atomization isn't the only thing you need to worry about. The rate of the burn directly effects noise levels as well as the stress put on the crank/rods etc. The mechanical advantage of the crank is very low near TDC. It's at it's peak half way down the bore.

They are also in TDIs. One of the big things holding diesel power back is adequate mixing, so separating  your fuel streams into more, finer streams can help you get a better, more consistent and mixed burn.

Reply #29August 14, 2009, 03:34:52 pm

cyrus #1

• Veteran

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2009, 03:34:52 pm »
Quote from: Turbinepowered
They are also in TDIs. One of the big things holding diesel power back is adequate mixing, so separating  your fuel streams into more, finer streams can help you get a better, more consistent and mixed burn.

This is all very true.  Do you think we could unlock the full potential using a VE pump though?  I would think that accurate timing and possibly multiple injection events would become important when using nozzles with several holes...
Cody

2002 Jetta TDI
2000 Jetta TDI - R.I.P.
1990 Jetta 8v-Eventually to be 1.6TD