S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: A3 AHU TDI into an A2 Golf/Jetta chassis  (Read 3676 times)

September 20, 2005, 02:27:05 pm

GTIMINI

A3 AHU TDI into an A2 Golf/Jetta chassis
« on: September 20, 2005, 02:27:05 pm »
Hello guys, I am new to your Forum and I am looking for information and Advise.  As the title indicates I am taking an A3 AHU TDI engine from a 98 Jetta and I am swapping it into either my MK2 GLI or GTI.  I have tried a search on this thread and found lots of neat stuff but not exactly what I was looking for.

I have the whole car so parts to go with the TDI are not going to be much of an issue.  And I also have a complete 1991 Jetta 1.6TD for parts.  I have heard the easiest way to wire the car is to change the A2 wiring over to A3 wiring, so that means I need to find a wiring Diagram for the A3.  In that case who was the best Diagram available.   The next thing I have been told is that the A3 motor will mount basically right into the A2 chassis but I will have problems fitting the Turbo, and I have been told that the older 1.6TD turbo would be better to use.

I would also like to meet anyone in the Alberta area who has tackled this swap who could give me any pointers.

Thanks in Advance

Reply #1October 16, 2005, 07:59:47 am

RAMMSTEIN

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 07:59:47 am »
Find posts here or on Vortex about member MrDave.

He's in Alberta, he swapped a ALH in a caddy (rabbit pickup). :wink:
Rammstein

In abscence of light, darkness prevails.

Reply #2October 17, 2005, 08:04:42 pm

GTIMINI

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 08:04:42 pm »
Quote from: "RAMMSTEIN"
Find posts here or on Vortex about member MrDave.

He's in Alberta, he swapped a ALH in a caddy (rabbit pickup). :wink:

I have personally seen that caddy.  It is sweet and I really wish it was in my driveway and not his!

I am really just looking to fine someone who has swapped the AHU in to a MK2 platform just to see what kind of things that they ran into.  The other thing that I wanted to know was just how much stuff from the MK3 that I could use in my swap.

Thanks

Reply #3October 18, 2005, 01:47:14 pm

dubCanuck1

• Veteran

• http://www.canadubs.com
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 01:47:14 pm »
Sorry dude,

I was up visiting MrDave and the caddy to get my ALH this weekend. I've looked on other forums, but haven't been able to find much on the AHU swap.

I'd have to say if you already have the engine, pull the old one and mount it. If it fits on the A2 mounts and you don't have clearance issues with anything like the turbo, you're in decent shape (the major issue with the ALH setup). Next, if your axles mount up (100mm on the A2, not sure on the AHU-A3).

Finally, the electrical demons. If you've got a full harness, you will save yourself some (not all) psychiatry bills.

What do you have for the swap, if anyting?

Reply #4October 18, 2005, 01:59:04 pm

GTIMINI

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 01:59:04 pm »
Quote from: "dubCanuck1"

What do you have for the swap, if anyting?

I have a complete 1998 Jetta Tdi Gl for the donar car and I am wanting to put the motor in my 1986 GLI.  I am a little hesitant right now on usng that one as my platform because it is my cheapest running car right now (40mpg).
I also have a 1991 Jetta TD for additional parts for the swap as well.  I would ideally like to make this swap into a golf but I am having trouble sourcing a good shell for the project.

Reply #5October 20, 2005, 02:18:31 pm

dubCanuck1

• Veteran

• http://www.canadubs.com
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 02:18:31 pm »
So you have a 98 TDI with an 86 as the victim/host AND you have a TD as the backup driver for the project?

Green light in my opinion (unless the 91 doesn't run). If so, I'd offer you my current 1.6 as a loaner to keep you on the road. It's good for 750 Kms per tank. You just have to deal with a little smoke and less power than my kid's Power Wheels car.

Reply #6October 20, 2005, 03:43:48 pm

GTIMINI

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 03:43:48 pm »
Quote from: "dubCanuck1"
So you have a 98 TDI with an 86 as the victim/host AND you have a TD as the backup driver for the project?

Green light in my opinion (unless the 91 doesn't run). If so, I'd offer you my current 1.6 as a loaner to keep you on the road. It's good for 750 Kms per tank. You just have to deal with a little smoke and less power than my kid's Power Wheels car.

All right until the 91, it is my MK2 diesel donar because it is crashed BADLY.  Right now I am trying to get my other wheels going for the winter.  1986 GTI with VR6 Strut bearings and coilovers with issues.  Get the issues sorted with the suspension and I have my back-up wheels running and it is green light.

S-PAutomotive.com