S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: 4.4 liter 4 cylinder ford industrial engine wont run. ideas?  (Read 5664 times)

September 18, 2005, 11:39:58 am

Master ACiD

• Veteran

4.4 liter 4 cylinder ford industrial engine wont run. ideas?
« on: September 18, 2005, 11:39:58 am »
heres the problem with this engine. i have no idea where to get parts for it, or even a user manual. its the kind of engine that you see on the side of the road powering a water pump or generator.

so i got this engine for free because it quit running for the previous owner. i didnt know whats wrong with it but it seems to be fuel related. when cranking over, there is fuel comming out of the injector return lines, but the injectors are not actually injecting fuel because it wont start and i even took 1 injector out and cranked it over to see if fuel came out but it didnt.
. even if i start it on ether and run it for 5-10 seconds on ether it still wont run on injectors so that pretty much rules out it being a mechanical problem. i think somthings wrong with the pump becuase the engine has good compression, it just wont run.

i dont know what the heck to do. i could take the pump in to be checked but that costs $170 ay my local diesel repair place, and that is the cost to just check the pump, not to fix it or put any parts into it. i dont really want to sink $170 into an engine that i dont even know if it is worth anything. so what to do? im at a loss.

also, what could i do with this thing once i get it running? i suppose i could put it in some sort of automobile, or just sell the engine on ebay perhaps?

Reply #1September 18, 2005, 12:40:49 pm

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 12:40:49 pm »
You could get the injectors pop tested.  They could be siezed shut.  I know most of the shops around here do that for free.

--Matt

Reply #2September 19, 2005, 01:04:03 pm

zyewdall

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 01:04:03 pm »
If you search for diesel engine on eBay, they have quite a variety sometimes.  Last week a rash of them (both automotive and industrial like yours) went through.  I'd imagine you could find a buyer.  I'd guess that this is probably a bit heavy weight to power ratio for automotive?  But it might make a good engine for some agricultural or power generation use that had access to vegetable oil to run it from.  

Have you tested the pressure in the injection lines?
'84 Mitsubishi 4x4 2.3L turbo biodiesel pickup
'91 VW Rabbit GTI with 1.6 biodiesel transplant
'81 Toyota longbed 2wd 2.2NA biodiesel pickup (for sale)
'89 Subaru 4x4 touring wagon
 '82 subaru 4x4 TDI wagon -- project on hold
1976 Ford Sasquatch pickup

Reply #3October 04, 2005, 08:11:31 pm

Master ACiD

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 08:11:31 pm »
i havent the means to do any real testing, like injector line pressure and such.

i do have a lead though. seems that this engine could infact be a perkins diesel. if i can confirm this and get a perkins engine code i could probably rip off the ford badge and sell this engine on ebay as a perkins for a good penny or 2, even though it isnt running.

Reply #4April 07, 2006, 11:23:18 pm

firestorm13666

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 11:23:18 pm »
Any pics fo this engine?

S-PAutomotive.com