S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: GTD wont start when warm?  (Read 1907 times)

July 23, 2009, 02:09:51 pm

Mozza

• Junior

GTD wont start when warm?
« on: July 23, 2009, 02:09:51 pm »
My GTD will not start when warm, On a cold start I switch on the ignition wait for the heater light to go out and of i go, when warm tho the prevous owner or 2 ago put a flick switch in the dash that connects to what looks like a heave duty relay or something similar. I had someone get a multi meter out and when the engine is warm and the ignition is on, no current gets to the glow plugs but when warm and the switch is on i get current but no light then the heater light flashes and i can start. but recently the car just wil not start when it is warm. Ant ideas please, Cheers for all the help in advance
Mozza

Reply #1July 23, 2009, 02:40:09 pm

arb

Re: GTD wont start when warm?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 02:40:09 pm »
Did you check power at the fuel shut-off solenoid on top of the fuel injection pump ?

Reply #2July 23, 2009, 02:47:52 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 02:47:52 pm »
Does the cold start knob make any difference? If it does I'd say the timing is a bit retarded.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #3July 23, 2009, 05:01:37 pm

Mozza

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 05:01:37 pm »
the cold start makes no differance and have not checked the fule cut of thingy, I is also verry lumpy when started, but i checked the timing belt marks and all seems cock on, so still lost

Reply #4July 23, 2009, 05:48:26 pm

MouseGTD

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 05:48:26 pm »
check there is a current to the solenoid when it has this problem and if there is then turn the ignition off and put a wire straight from the live on the battery to the solenoid on the fuel pump and keep tapping it on and off and see if you hear the clicking noise. my mate gets a problem like this on his caddy van, its a mixture of 2 problems. the first is a loose relay, with this problem the heater light doesn't come on at all iirc (which he just moves around to get the light to come on, i think the solenoid and plugs are on the same circuit?) and the second is a sticky fuel solenoid which when this happens the heater plug light flashes on the dash but it does nothing, this is when he taps the live wire on to the solenoid.

Reply #5July 23, 2009, 05:56:27 pm

rubadubdub

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 05:56:27 pm »
If you remove the temp sender to the glow plugs it should trick the car into thinking its cold and allow it to start whatever the temperature (assuming the glow plugs work and are receiving power).  The sender is one of the two on the top water pipe coming out of the front of the head, cant remember which.

I have no idea what this other relay is all about but it sounds like someone has tried to fix this problem before, maybe tried to rig up another relay side by side the old one?

When i had this problem i just ran all the time with the sender disconnected (tried replacing it but made no difference). I never got to the bottom of it completely.

Apparently it will kill your glow plugs quicker doing this but mine were still all ok after a year.
1991 Mk2 Golf GTD

Reply #6July 23, 2009, 06:30:24 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 06:30:24 pm »
Try push starting it. If it fires right up then you probably have bad grounds. That's what my Rabbit did to me anyways
Tyler