Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: AHU TDI injection pump mount  (Read 7948 times)

September 15, 2005, 09:32:08 pm

renny10n

• User+

AHU TDI injection pump mount
« on: September 15, 2005, 09:32:08 pm »
Howzit going,

Got a couple of questions for those w/ the earlier AHU TDI's.  

1.  Is the electronic injection pump mounted in an upright position such as the 1.6/1.9 na or TD pumps. Or is it canted to the left side such as the ALH TDI's?

2.  Is the AHU pump mount consolidated into the block or a bolt on deal.   If it is a separate piece,  what is it made out of(alum./steel, etc.)

3.  Does anyone have a pic(s) of what a AHU mount looks like that they can post!     -greatly appreciated! :P

aloha!   ....renny

1987 Suzuki Samurai(soon to be repowered with A4/ALH 2001 TDI mated to Toyota truck xmsn/t-case.

Reply #1September 16, 2005, 02:14:27 am

Maarten

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 02:14:27 am »
AFAIK the AHU is no different from the other TDI's

So the pump is in the same tilted position and mounted on a support.

The pumphouseing is aluminium
Audi A3 TDI '98
VW cabby '79
VW T3 1.9TD '91

Reply #2September 23, 2005, 01:53:58 am

renny10n

• User+

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 01:53:58 am »
Thanks for the reply!   I found a pic. of an AHU engine/injection pump arrangement on this Canadian site:

http://www.fastforward.ca/vanagon/

Strange,  if that is truely a pic. of an AHU engine,  the pump is indeed in an upright position such as the 1.6/1.9na or TD engine.   I will have to confirm that w/ the site owner, David Marshal.  

If I can't find one of these AHU pump mounts to adapt/ mod to work on my ALH.  I may have to fab one from scratch or try working my already "butchered"  alum. ALH mount.   WHY ALL THIS HASSLE YOU ASK!    I want to rotate the TDI mech. pump in for a more compact package since it will be mounted in Samurai.  

Again, if anyone has used/washed up TD/TDI pumps,etc.  I'm looking for the following to get my ALH/TDI powered Suzuki Samurai project going.

1. need a TDI pulley hub(mounts to the pump driveshaft on TDI's w/ the two piece pulley)

2. injection pump/injector lines from a AHU TDI

3. 1.6/ 1.9TD throttle cable bracket(s)

4. AHU inject. pump mounting bracket  

Any help in sourcing the above is greatly appreciated!  :P  

aloha! ....renny
aloha!   ....renny

1987 Suzuki Samurai(soon to be repowered with A4/ALH 2001 TDI mated to Toyota truck xmsn/t-case.

Reply #3January 28, 2006, 04:57:16 pm

DA-BRT

• Junior

• http://Zwalve.eu/
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 04:57:16 pm »
The pump on a AHU is similair positioned as te 1Z TDI engine and they are upright!

Reply #4January 28, 2006, 10:33:56 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 10:33:56 pm »
This is a picture of the ALH, AGR style MK4 injection pump bracket. It is all aluminum and is intergrated with the alternator/accessory bracket as well...

Here is a picture of the B4/A3 style 1z/AHU brackets.

The one in the upper right hand corner is the injection pump mounting bracket...it is a cast iron unit

You can also see the alternator bracket/accessory bracket as well in the lower right hand part of the picture. These are the parts going on my mTDI build...

It would take a complete remachining of the brackets to make them fit as the ALH block is totally different when it comes to bolting configurations just "use" the earlier style brackets. The ALH block is alot "flatter" on the front and the bolt holes would not line up. Also, the MK3 style accessory bracket "wraps" around the water pump and housing on the hold style motor... think your going to have to design/fab a new bracket or go with the ALH style unit...  It is possible (i don't have one in front of me...but just looking... POSSIBLY) that you could re-drill the holes for the injection pump in the ALH bracket to make it more upright...but the bracket itself would still "stick out" that far ...
Suppose where there is the will, and the $$$ to do it...theres a way...

Joe
1979 Rabbit mTDI crazy $*(\%& bunny...
1972 VW Westfalia
2009 VW Tiguan SE 2.0T (Wife's car)
2001 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster (something newer :) )

Reply #5February 01, 2006, 11:29:53 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 11:29:53 pm »
yo,if u get it allfigured out ,,and you want/need an ahu pump bracket,lemme know iaint usin mine,,,yet,,,maybe,,,but the way i see it,,,there are 2 ways to do a tdi m into an a1,,use the tdi inj pumpbracket,and a gas engine mount ,,,,,,,or use the old 1.6d engine/pumpmount,,i went the latter way,for now,one reason being i have a hd rubber mount in the pumpbracket,,which i have filled a few of the voids with epoxy,sorta in between a poly mount,,,theydont make poly inserts that fit the voids on the hd mounts,that i know of,,,anyone??iknow theymake em for stock mounts
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #6February 07, 2006, 10:42:05 pm

renny10n

• User+

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 10:42:05 pm »
Thanks guys for the replies,etc.

I will try to rework my stock A4 bracket first before getting into fabbing one from scratch.   I already cut off the lower half of the bracket, directly below the two mid bracket bolts under the termostat housing.  

Besides lopping off the A/C comp. mount, the alt. & power steering pump mounts got lopped off as well.  The lower & mid block mounting lugs on that side will be used to mount a small GM power steering pump(nascar style w/ remote res.) This will allow me to tuck it in close to the block.

Will also mount a small GM alternator on the right lower side(turbo side)

Gotta just clean up the inject. pump bracket & reindex the pump to a more upright position.  Probably the best way would be to drill & tap to add pump mounting studs.  Should probably first locate a complete set of A3/AHU inject. lines to get proper orientation before drilling anything! :?  

Anyways, thanks once again, your comment & suggestion are greatly appreciated "BIG TIME!"

p.s. any leads on a set of AHU/A4 inject. lines?
aloha!   ....renny

Reply #7February 08, 2006, 01:51:14 am

dubCanuck1

• Veteran

• http://www.canadubs.com
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 01:51:14 am »
BTW, the vanagon is an ALH, in case it hasn't already been said.

Reply #8February 08, 2006, 05:48:46 am

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 05:48:46 am »
if i were you, check out the used OEM parts at www.dieselgeek.com They have alot of "extras" for TDI and if you don't see it, email him and he might have it. Very helpful guy...

Joe
1979 Rabbit mTDI crazy $*(\%& bunny...
1972 VW Westfalia
2009 VW Tiguan SE 2.0T (Wife's car)
2001 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster (something newer :) )

Reply #9February 12, 2006, 01:35:27 am

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2006, 01:35:27 am »
be warned bad bad things canhappen when you  bend   hi psi  injection lines,,,grab an old one and check this out,,ok bend it a little,,see  that top layer start to flake off??yea they are anodized,or  cad coated or something,,well,anyways what also happens is that coating starts to flake off onthe inside of the line,,right intoyour injectors,youll never get it out of the line,,and itll keep happening,because of the hi psi pulses in the line,,,all downhill from there,,,lil known diesel fact  :D
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #10February 12, 2006, 02:10:00 am

renny10n

• User+

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2006, 02:10:00 am »
Quote from: "hillfolk'r"
be warned bad bad things canhappen when you  bend   hi psi  injection lines,,,grab an old one and check this out,,ok bend it a little,,see  that top layer start to flake off??yea they are anodized,or  cad coated or something,,well,anyways what also happens is that coating starts to flake off onthe inside of the line,,right intoyour injectors,youll never get it out of the line,,and itll keep happening,because of the hi psi pulses in the line,,,all downhill from there,,,lil known diesel fact  :D

Hillfolk'r,

Thanx for the insight against trying to bend those lines.  Never considered the coating flaking off if one was to attempt to bend them,  but yeah that would be !!!!!!!!!!! & very costly! :cry:

Though, never considered re-bending them due to  the headache involved of getting them just right.  Figuire the best & easiest solution would be to just get a set of A3/AHU lines.  Also that would give me the proper position when remounting the pump in an upright position.

BTW, what are you asking for that A3 inject. pump bracket?

Let me know, aloha!    ....renny
aloha!   ....renny

Reply #11February 13, 2006, 11:55:47 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 11:55:47 pm »
well sometimes though in the realworld,ya gotta bend some lines,,but at least now you know,,dont bend them much,,,,now im gettin a little nervous about that extra roller on the belt, since my mount doesnt have it ,soimay be swapping to the ahu setup now,,and thats not gonna be fun in the car,, :o
Throttle cables ftw

S-PAutomotive.com