S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: just an idea... diesel motor in aircooled chassis  (Read 12792 times)

September 14, 2005, 11:31:50 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

just an idea... diesel motor in aircooled chassis
« on: September 14, 2005, 11:31:50 am »
i'd like to put an MF-code, 1.6L TD engine into a pre-67 type 2 aircooled bus chassis (walk-thru). any leads to point me to some info? obviously cooling will be an issue, shift linkage (thinking about going automatic if it will fit), and there will be a lot of misc fabrication just to get it in there and lined up etc.

there might be a whole lot more to this than i am considering, so please enlighten me.  :)

some background: i bought a rabbit pick-up (caddy) project last year with plans to put said 1.6L TD motor into it and head cross country... or maybe a few countries. i havn't put too much into the project yet, so i can still back out without feeling like i'm throwing much away. i think an old bus will be not only a more practical solution from a comfort/space/usability standpoint as a cross-country camper-type vehicle, but in my opinion they are one of the more unique and interesting body shapes on the road (thats secondary, but definitely a huge bonus).

yes, i could get a hardtop for the back of the caddy, but its still not the same as a van. you can't really get in and out of the back of a caddy easily... its more of a cargo hauler than a cross-country trekker... i mean ideally i'll fix up both and see if its practical to keep them both on the road when i turn 25 next year.

any thoughts/opinions welcome..  :)

Reply #1September 14, 2005, 01:29:29 pm

kynetx

• User+

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 01:29:29 pm »
That'd slick as a greased pig on ice. I bet you could find a lot of conversion parts.  I know a lot of people like to put water-cooled engines into air-cooled chassis. Since the blocks are a pretty close match.... Hmmm.

Reply #2September 14, 2005, 02:19:42 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 02:19:42 pm »
i found some good info...
http://volksweb.relitech.com/robw.htm

havent read anything about transmission compatibility yet... wondering if i can use the aircooled box, would make everything much easier..

Reply #3September 14, 2005, 02:28:52 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 02:28:52 pm »
most of the info i've found so far has been for vanagon... i need to learn more about the old type 2 buses to see if i can adapt a vanagon conversion kit.

here is a 1.9L TD in a vanagon:

sexy

Reply #4September 14, 2005, 03:13:15 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 03:13:15 pm »
just found this...
http://frost.bbboy.net/vwengineconversions
diggin in......

Reply #5September 14, 2005, 10:00:35 pm

zyewdall

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 10:00:35 pm »
Has that bus been lowered?  All the ones I've seen seem to ride alot higher.
'84 Mitsubishi 4x4 2.3L turbo biodiesel pickup
'91 VW Rabbit GTI with 1.6 biodiesel transplant
'81 Toyota longbed 2wd 2.2NA biodiesel pickup (for sale)
'89 Subaru 4x4 touring wagon
 '82 subaru 4x4 TDI wagon -- project on hold
1976 Ford Sasquatch pickup

Reply #6September 15, 2005, 06:37:52 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 06:37:52 am »
ya that ones bagged  :o

different bus, cool pic... lowed out:

Reply #7September 15, 2005, 07:47:22 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 07:47:22 am »
1.6L TD in here vvvv

Reply #8September 15, 2005, 03:01:50 pm

moTthediesel

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 03:01:50 pm »
One of the most enjoyable and memorable winters of my lost youth was spent touring the southern states in a $250 '66 Splitty that I called the L.o.B. (Loaf of Bread). Those vans are a sweet ride, and with Dub diesel power you could get maybe 40 mpg or more?  Now that's a diesel pusher RV I can get excited about!

More info about aircooled/watercooled swaps can be found here:
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/
Look in the "Conversion Perversions" (I kid you not) forum

Also at the "Volks Swap" site that you've already found.

Of course the lads at  Kennedy Engineered Products are the guys you need for adaptors:
http://www.kennedyeng.com/

I'm going down the same road with a Kennedy kit I just scored on ebay, only my 1.6TD is going into a '65 356 SC.

Beware of the Turbo Tub :lol:

moT
'82 LandCruiser Diesel Conversion
4Cylinder 3B/KKKturbo/AudiIntercooler(gone, BNF)
'92 Dodge/Cummins D350 Getrag Dually
356 w/Quantum 1.6TD (73 mpg!)
'85 BMW 524td (Der Komisar) 
'00 Jetta TDI 5spd

Reply #9September 18, 2005, 10:18:06 pm

VW Scully

• Junior

• Not Quite Tom Riddle's Diary
Diesel Westy ;)
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2005, 10:18:06 pm »
Hey, I'm not the only one with this crazy idea! ;) (I have a '78 Westy with the 2.0l pancake motor. I always thought it would be soo cool to have a TDI engine in there!  :twisted:   ).

btw, I do have a friend doing the Vanagon swap (as I mentioned at the GTG.) I'll let you all know when he's done :).

Just for fun; here's my Bus :)
Tara aka VW Scully
**1981 Rabbit Diesel L, Biodiesel driven: 'the Bio-Bunny' **
Advocate for Young Adult Cancer Research & Support: I'm too Young for This!!
http://www.i2y.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reply #10September 18, 2005, 11:51:04 pm

RAMMSTEIN

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2005, 11:51:04 pm »
Nice buss VW Scully!

I see a Canadien emblem on the driver's door though...so close from Toronto, that's rare!

The problem with watercooled engines in aircooled models are that everything has to be fab'ed up...which can be a pain.

The weight advantage is insignificant with the A1's...

But if you like trouble, you've got your pick! :wink:
Rammstein

In abscence of light, darkness prevails.

Reply #11September 19, 2005, 12:10:20 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2005, 12:10:20 pm »
Quote from: "moTthediesel"
One of the most enjoyable and memorable winters of my lost youth was spent touring the southern states in a $250 '66 Splitty that I called the L.o.B. (Loaf of Bread).

thanks for the URLs and your comments. i saw your posts over there about the porsche, very cool  :twisted: most people i've talked to who have driven around an old splitty have nothing but fond memories and funny stories. kind of like rabbit drivers actually! good luck with your project and make sure you keep us posted.

Quote from: "VW Scully"
btw, I do have a friend doing the Vanagon swap (as I mentioned at the GTG.) I'll let you all know when he's done :).

Just for fun; here's my Bus :)

nice bus scully. my friend across the street just fixed up one like that, but tan paint. when he was done, we wanted to take it camping but the guy he was doing the work for came and picked it up before we got the chance.  :cry:

i want to hear more about that TD vanagon. thats a step in the right direction for me anyway. i'd like to have a look sometime if they get it on the road.

Quote from: "RAMMSTEIN"
I see a Canadien emblem on the driver's door though...so close from Toronto, that's rare!

actually not too rare rammstein. there are a lot of habs fans around this area.. there has been such a rivalry through two or three generations now. i think that a lot of ontarian habs fans developed a liking for them watching them play against the leafs over the years... or their father did and passed it down. also, many people have moved here from quebec. i like the dynamic. there is always a hardcore habs fan in any bar here when they are playing the leafs. makes for good rivalry!  :lol:

Quote from: "RAMMSTEIN"
The problem with watercooled engines in aircooled models are that everything has to be fab'ed up...which can be a pain.

The weight advantage is insignificant with the A1's...

But if you like trouble, you've got your pick! :wink:

all valid points. i'm taking my time with this and i'd like to do a fair amount of research, maybe see one or two swap vehicles in person before i even buy a vehicle to try this with. i want a project i can be proud of, enjoy driving, and make good practical use of when i'm done... if i can manage a TD into a splitty, i'll be one happy CAMPER.

i certainly do not possess a lot of the skills required (or equipment for that matter) to make something like this work. yet! we'll see  :twisted:

Reply #12September 19, 2005, 12:43:10 pm

Master ACiD

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2005, 12:43:10 pm »
i would be interested in the technical aspects of this, espically concerning the engine to transmission adapters.

Reply #13September 19, 2005, 01:36:56 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2005, 01:36:56 pm »
check out these guys for adapters...
http://www.kennedyeng.com/
not much info on their site. i'm going to order their catalog for $3.

Reply #14September 19, 2005, 09:30:58 pm

VW Scully

• Junior

• Not Quite Tom Riddle's Diary
*that* emblem! ;)
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2005, 09:30:58 pm »
Hey guys;
Ack, I should have edited that emblem in the pic on the side of my Bus; that's my boyfriend's team! If I had my way, it would look like this!!  :twisted:

Tara aka VW Scully
**1981 Rabbit Diesel L, Biodiesel driven: 'the Bio-Bunny' **
Advocate for Young Adult Cancer Research & Support: I'm too Young for This!!
http://www.i2y.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fixmyvw.com