Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Rabbit door  (Read 1270 times)

July 04, 2009, 12:25:05 am

Rabbit TD

• Veteran

Rabbit door
« on: July 04, 2009, 12:25:05 am »
Well I lucked out today and got a door for my Rabbit at the place I least expected to get it, the place the guy said, "yeah we probably got one up on the hill" the other day.  I checked it out the other night and damned if he didn't have one.  I've called everywhere and one guy even checked the salvage hotline thing and said there weren't any showing up anywhere.  The place I got this one isn't connected to it.  It's off an 80 and mine is an 81 and the only difference is this one has the swing out vent and doesn't have a keyhole on that side but no big deal.  You can't find these 2 door doors any where, there are lots of 4 door ones though .  I can't imagine that there weren't more 2 door ones sold, weren't they actualy a little cheaper to begin with?  This guy had tons of old bettles, Jettas and I couldn't believe all the Cabroliets he had there and actualy the stuff wasn't rusted too bad.  I thought he would have sent this stuff to the crusher years ago but they are still sitting there.  I checked one place on line and they wanted $522 with free shipping  and I about fell through the floor and who knows what it might have even looked like? This was the only passenger side door he had and believe it or not it was perfect other than the innside pannel but mine is going on it anyway.   I've been getting stuff out at this place since back in the 60's and it kind of brought back old memories, lugging a tool box back through there, crawling through the weeds and sitting in an old wreck on a nice afternoon and hoping a black snake isn't 2 feet away under something, they are everywhere out there. I couldn't open the door up far enough to get a socket on the bolt but thank God for GearWrenches and PB Blaster.  Naturaly I filled my tool box with relays and things like that too in the process and it was a nice day and the door is now on the Rabbit and I'm now doing the Bondo bit to the quarter pannel to match the door.  My sick bunny is healing pretty well now. ;D

Reply #1July 04, 2009, 03:35:43 am

rabbitman

• Veteran

Re: Rabbit door
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 03:35:43 am »
Glad to hear it! :D
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

S-PAutomotive.com