Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Flywheel TDC  (Read 1599 times)

June 16, 2009, 07:47:52 pm

Flywheel TDC
« on: June 16, 2009, 07:47:52 pm »
I'll start by saying I did do a search.
But my question is - Is the cylinder #1,  cam lobes up, accurate enough
to install a different flywheel? I did make some marks before removing the old one,
but lost them when I cleaned the engine up.
Opinions?
Thanks.

Reply #1June 16, 2009, 08:34:17 pm

Rabbit TD

• Veteran

Re: Flywheel TDC
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 08:34:17 pm »
Just to install a flywheel it doesn't matter where anything is at as long as it's the right flywheel and everything was fine beforehand because it only goes on 1 way.  Can you just compare the 2 flywheels to see if the marks are in the same place.  If your original wheel is on the engine yet just put a mark on the block matching up with TDC on the wheel and make some match marks on the pulley side of the engine to verify where the new wheel points to when you bring the crank back to the marks on the pulley side.  This is all based on the assumption that this was a normal running engine before you decided to change the flywheel.  I had a pressure plate a while back that moved my TDC mark about 1/4 turn off.  All I was doing at the time was putting in a clutch so it didn't matter but if I ever needed to use the TDC mark after that it would have me scratching my head today.  Since that episode I always make a set up front also.

Reply #2June 17, 2009, 03:31:37 pm

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 03:31:37 pm »
The engine was running when I pulled it.
I'm switching to a different transmission, so I need to change the flywheel and pressure plate.
I meant to make witness marks before removing the old flywheel but forgot. Since #1 camlobes
indicate TDC, if I put the flywheel "0" at the 12 oclock position i should be OK right?
Thanks.

Reply #3June 17, 2009, 05:14:20 pm

DogDiesel

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 05:14:20 pm »
210mm flywheel off gassers may not have timing mark, but otherwise same.

Wayne

Reply #4June 17, 2009, 07:34:06 pm

Rabbit TD

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 07:34:06 pm »
You should say what engine you are dealing with to begin with and what flywheel and clutch you are putting on.  If I were you I would stick the old assembly back on with a few bolts and mark the block and the fron pulley as I said in the other post.  You don't need the disk to do this.  Again if it was running fine you don't have to have the engine at tdc just to change a flywheel but I would want to verify that with a different pressure plate and flywheel going on that the tdc mark matches where the old one was for future adjustments for timing.  The only way you can do this at this point is to put the old setup back on assuming it was right.  I'm assuming you have the original trans and flywheel assy. already out but to get it right you need to have the corresponding mark on the trans to go along with it unless you can acurately check no. 1's piston position with a peice of wire.  It should be close if you have the valve cover off and set it up on no. 1 with the locking setup installed for the cam.  Me, I wouldn't consider anything else but sticking the pressure plate and flywheel back on and making new marks front and back at this point especialy with what you are doing.  You can't even be sure you're at tdc even by just changing the original pressure plate with a rebuilt one just like it because they can throw off TDC themselves if they're not assembled {clocked} right at the rebuild facility, I just went through this last year.  You have too many variables to go wrong to do it any other way than by checking your old marks.  But as far as just putting it on it all only goes on one way to begin with.

Fixmyvw.com