S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: new clutch for my FF trans  (Read 1473 times)

June 12, 2009, 01:22:41 pm

arb

new clutch for my FF trans
« on: June 12, 2009, 01:22:41 pm »
I'm going to replace the clutch in my diesel powered Caravan. My trans is an FF and I think it was a 1979 Rabbit or so. Maybe as late as 1983. I see there are 7", 8" and a 8.25" clutch. It appears mine should be an 8.25" ???  Any way to know w/o pulling the trans? There is a complete kit at autozone with a life time warranty (they will loose money on me ;-) for $135.

Part Number: NU31066
Weight: 11.85 lbs
Warranty: LLT 
Notes: Disc outside diameter 8 1/4", spline inside diameter 13/16", spline count 24 contains Premium friction, O.E.M. manufactured clutch components kit includes: clutch, disc, release bearing, alignment tool, pilot bearing, spline lube 

Reply #1June 12, 2009, 09:31:21 pm

Rabbit TD

• Veteran

Re: new clutch for my FF trans
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 09:31:21 pm »
One very important thing to check if you get the Autozone one is to have yours with you to compare how the offset holes for the flywheel and the mounting location for the flywheel line up.  I put one in my Rabbit last summer from them and it worked fine but when I was removing the N/A pump from it this winter after I pulled the engine for the T/D one and needed to use the N/A pump for a while I decided to see if my timing was still 1.0 on the old engine.  I found out that the Autozone pressure plate had moved my flywheel almost a quarter turn from where it was for TDC.  If I had to do any retiming or belt changing it would have been a hell of a mess after I put that pressure plate on but I never had to do anything like that and lucked out.  Just make sure you have your's with you to check for this and you can see at the same time if the dia. is right too.  I posted a thread a good while back about this happening and got a lot of responses about putting the flywheel on wrong but if it's never been modified it only goes on one way.  There are either a lot of different pressure plates that bolt on ok but are designed for different flywheels or it was clocked wrong during it's rebuild process but the bottom line is that pressure plate relocated my TDC mark almost 90 degrees, you can imagine trying to diagnose a problem or put a timing belt on the problems this could cause with the TDC mark off like that.  But the clutch did work good though, I just didn't know what else I was changing too  at the same time.

Fixmyvw.com