Author Topic: Low oil pressure AZZ  (Read 2034 times)

June 07, 2009, 08:30:15 pm

1slowvw

Low oil pressure AZZ
« on: June 07, 2009, 08:30:15 pm »
Hey guys, well I blew a turbo two weeks ago, and since I have noticed that I seem to be suffering from lower oil pressure, I'm assuming the I sent some metal shavings through the motor, I'm just wondering if its possible that the oil pump itself was just somewhat hurt, and if i could regain oil pressure by installing a new oil pump, or if the damage is irreversible and I have just put the first nail in the coffin of what was a really tight AZZ.

1SlowVW

Reply #1June 07, 2009, 09:28:38 pm

Golf/Jetta

• Junior

Re: Low oil pressure AZZ
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 09:28:38 pm »
how big are these shavings?
if its lots then i would assume bore + new pistons.

oil pump is driving off the inter. shaft (connected to the T-Belt)
Oil is picked up from the pan with a metal screen through the pump to the oil filter and is sent back and up through the engine

whats the milage on the pump?
how long ago did you replace the oil filter?
metal shaving won't go past the filter
if you change the filter regularly the drop the pan take a look at the metal screen..  if its not cloged then its the pump...
inspect the crank, pistons, cylinder walls, cam shaft for play or anything that looks worn....
worst comes
where did all those shaving come from? could of come from the turbo, if its the rings then a re-ring job might be in order if compression is too low. if its the cylinder wall then a bore and new rings/pistons..
how do you assmume low oil pressure? might be a false sensor.

start checking and be sure. or just run er down and have a replacement that could have more problems
'97 Jetta - 4Dr - 1.9 TiDi (Forth Car)

'94 Jetta - 4Dr - 2.0L Swaped in an AZZ - Almost done 2011 b4 Winter (Third Car)

Blue '87 Golf - 2Dr - Tags (First Car)
Red '92 Jetta (W) - 4Dr - Sold to Friend For $200 (Second Car)

Thanx For Answering My Posted Question's/Comments...

Reply #2June 08, 2009, 11:21:12 am

1slowvw

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 11:21:12 am »
The turbo snapped its shaft in two, it was the source of the metal bits, I'm assuming they would all have been caught by the oil sump screen and or oil filter or the bottle neck at the bottom of the oil drain. The motor might have 50,000km, and oil and filter was changed about 500km before the turbo bit it, and I dropped the oil and changed it when the turbo was changed, I'm going to change the oil filter tonight and or tomorrow see if it makes a difference.

1SlowVW

Reply #3June 09, 2009, 12:41:16 pm

Golf/Jetta

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 12:41:16 pm »
i wonder if the oil line going from the filter to the turbo is coked and causes low oil pressure
'97 Jetta - 4Dr - 1.9 TiDi (Forth Car)

'94 Jetta - 4Dr - 2.0L Swaped in an AZZ - Almost done 2011 b4 Winter (Third Car)

Blue '87 Golf - 2Dr - Tags (First Car)
Red '92 Jetta (W) - 4Dr - Sold to Friend For $200 (Second Car)

Thanx For Answering My Posted Question's/Comments...

Reply #4June 12, 2009, 10:03:07 pm

1slowvw

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 10:03:07 pm »
i wonder if the oil line going from the filter to the turbo is coked and causes low oil pressure

I replaced that line, and put on a new filter unfortunately it did not improve, I also noticed I am not getting some air bubbles in my fuel lines so I think the jetta is going to need some love. I'm planning on putting another AZZ in, that I had decommissioned due to a jumped timing belt, but after further inspection I think It just jumped one tooth and did not actually make valve to piston contact. I'm also looking for suggestions for a good lift pump I could run to help reduce the load on my injection pump.

here is a picture for those of you with helped by answering.

Thanks
1SlowVW