Author Topic: AAZ with 1.6 GTD Injection Pump  (Read 9611 times)

June 04, 2009, 05:08:26 pm

ant_43

AAZ with 1.6 GTD Injection Pump
« on: June 04, 2009, 05:08:26 pm »
Hi all, this is my 1st post, and i thought i'd get straight in with the questions! This forum has a massive amount of info, and i've already learnt a lot through browsing! I have an '87 mk1 caddy which i've recently had converted to an aaz 1.9td (it was a 1.6d). The aaz is from a '97 seat toledo, which had a pump with "electronic timing control" as i understand, and egr system (which i've blanked off). I sourced a 1.6 GTD pump to eliminate the worry of extra wiring etc with the original aaz pump. However, now it's all running, i'm not sure that it goes as well as it should do (or would with a standard older type aaz pump). I'd like to know what the experts on here think about this and whether i'd be better off sourcing a standard aaz pump, or maybe make a hybrid pump from the two?

Here's the offending caddy anyway:

Any help very much appreciated, thanks  :)

Reply #1June 05, 2009, 07:37:45 am

Golf/Jetta

• Junior

Re: AAZ with 1.6 GTD Injection Pump
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 07:37:45 am »
AAZ pumps

1.6 TD's pump

not much of a difference

12v to the solenoid in front of the pump and fuel stop solenoid 
if there something one top of the pump, don't worrie about it. delete it
that suction thing might be able to replace that with the 1.6's peice arm thingy - it's to help with cold days
gn

'97 Jetta - 4Dr - 1.9 TiDi (Forth Car)

'94 Jetta - 4Dr - 2.0L Swaped in an AZZ - Almost done 2011 b4 Winter (Third Car)

Blue '87 Golf - 2Dr - Tags (First Car)
Red '92 Jetta (W) - 4Dr - Sold to Friend For $200 (Second Car)

Thanx For Answering My Posted Question's/Comments...

Reply #2June 05, 2009, 12:36:31 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 12:36:31 pm »
Check the FAQ for "making your 1.6TD a faster car" It'll go through the basics of tweaking the pump
Tyler

Reply #3June 05, 2009, 06:38:14 pm

ant_43

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 06:38:14 pm »
The 1.6TD pump should be able to provide all the fuel you need.  What is it timed to? 

Andrew

Ok, thanks, so the pump should be able to perform as well as an AAZ pump? I'm guessing i already have the more desirable boost pin? I don't know what it is timed to, but now you ask, it is quite lumpy and smokey when first started (to the degree that i need to use the timing advance lever), but quickly gets to a normal idle once warmed. After that it really doesn't seem to smoke at all during driving. Could this be an indication of incorrect timing?

Check the FAQ for "making your 1.6TD a faster car" It'll go through the basics of tweaking the pump

Thanks, the governor mod and other tweaks are on my to do list, along with stainless downpipe & exhaust and the necessary boost and egt gauges. Unfortunately i don't have the skills many people on here have to be confident enough to try these out myself!  :(

Reply #4June 09, 2009, 06:24:25 pm

ant_43

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 06:24:25 pm »
Any more insights on the suitability of the GTD pump on an AAZ?

And should my first "upgrade" be a stainless downpipe before i start fiddling with fueling etc?

Reply #5June 12, 2009, 11:58:06 am

regcheeseman

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 11:58:06 am »
Hiya mate!

All coming out of the woodwork, first badboy and now you! You'll find some good stuff on here.

Laters!

Reply #6June 12, 2009, 12:27:09 pm

ant_43

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 12:27:09 pm »
Hello there Mr Cheeseman!  ;) Yes indeed, i've been floating around here for a little while and gained a lot of good info, finally got round to registering so i can ask the diesel gurus some technical questions. I'm sure most people on here have diesel in their cereal in the mornings 

Reply #7June 12, 2009, 12:47:20 pm

arb

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 12:47:20 pm »
Any more insights on the suitability of the GTD pump on an AAZ?

And should my first "upgrade" be a stainless downpipe before i start fiddling with fueling etc?

I'd help the poor thing breath before I added more fuel to the mix. Wish I had gone 3" for my SS down pipe. Mine is far better than stock, but could have been better.

SWEET CADDY !!!

Reply #8June 12, 2009, 07:00:17 pm

regcheeseman

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 07:00:17 pm »
I'm sure most people on here have diesel in their cereal in the mornings 

You say that like it's an odd thing to do?

Reply #9June 13, 2009, 05:21:28 am

ant_43

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 05:21:28 am »

I'd help the poor thing breath before I added more fuel to the mix. Wish I had gone 3" for my SS down pipe. Mine is far better than stock, but could have been better.

SWEET CADDY !!!

Thank you! I think i'll be getting a nice downpipe sorted first off as it's a real bodge of bits from the donor downpipe and standard exhaust at the mo.

I'm sure most people on here have diesel in their cereal in the mornings 

You say that like it's an odd thing to do?

Not at all, as Bill & Ted would say, it is "most excellent"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGVwP7N5404

Reply #10June 13, 2009, 04:48:43 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 04:48:43 pm »
The 1.6TD pump should be able to provide all the fuel you need.  What is it timed to? 

Andrew

Ok, thanks, so the pump should be able to perform as well as an AAZ pump? I'm guessing i already have the more desirable boost pin? I don't know what it is timed to, but now you ask, it is quite lumpy and smokey when first started (to the degree that i need to use the timing advance lever), but quickly gets to a normal idle once warmed. After that it really doesn't seem to smoke at all during driving. Could this be an indication of incorrect timing?

Thanks, the governor mod and other tweaks are on my to do list, along with stainless downpipe & exhaust and the necessary boost and egt gauges. Unfortunately i don't have the skills many people on here have to be confident enough to try these out myself!  :(

Get some timing kit, gauge etc and take a reading. Get it timed right, and runing correctly before worrying about spending money on S.Steel pipe and other 'ollucks...  How will you insure this? Some of the companies these days don't even like wheel changes :'(
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #11June 14, 2009, 03:04:19 pm

ant_43

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 03:04:19 pm »
I'm looking to get it timed correctly on a gauge soon, it's not something that i'd be able to do myself though.

I'm insured on it already, it only cost me an extra £28! 8) I'm 26, with HIC, and everything declared.

Reply #12July 14, 2009, 04:17:47 pm

ant_43

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 04:17:47 pm »
I've had it timed up with a gauge now, it was retarded a little. It does seem more powerful now, and runs a bit quieter which is all good! However, if anything, it's actually got harder to start. It now takes a few chugs to start, i have to use the timing advance lever or it stalls straight away, and there is still a large amount of white smoke on startup. If its been running and it's still warm, it will start easily as it should.

Should i be looking at glow plugs / injectors?  ???

Thanks

Reply #13July 14, 2009, 04:40:55 pm

MouseGTD

• Junior

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 04:40:55 pm »
my TD takes a few turns to start when cold and cuts out if i don't give it a blast of the load peddle (my cold start isn't connected) and its pritty smokey as it first fires up... is this not just normal for an old diesel?

Reply #14July 14, 2009, 04:57:57 pm

ant_43

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 04:57:57 pm »
my TD takes a few turns to start when cold and cuts out if i don't give it a blast of the load peddle (my cold start isn't connected) and its pritty smokey as it first fires up... is this not just normal for an old diesel?

Ah really? Maybe normal then? Or you have the same problem as me!

I'm comparing it to my old 1.6d, which used to start first time absolutely perfect with no white smoke.