S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Banjo fittings for injector pump  (Read 2954 times)

September 06, 2005, 11:22:50 pm

zyewdall

• Veteran

Banjo fittings for injector pump
« on: September 06, 2005, 11:22:50 pm »
I've taken the plunge (well, the Mitzi truck was really my first, but the rabbit will be the high MPG commuter), and am putting a rebuilt 1.6NA diesel (hydraulic lifters) in a 1991 GTI, with a FN code 5 speed transmission instead of the GTI close ratio to give better highway ability.  The obstacle I've come up against now is finding the banjo fittings that connect the rubber fuel hoses to the injector pump.  They didn't come with the engine I bought, and now I'm looking at the end of a rubber hose, and the bolts on the injector pump and wondering how to connect them.  Any pointers on where to get these?  Were they used on the gas versions, or just the diesel engines?

Also, any other pointers on doing this engine swap you'd recommend?  Can I use the existing fuel pump, or should I swap it out for a lower pressure one?  I'm using the existing exhaust system (including the manifold, since it looks like it's designed for way better flow than the diesel exhaust manifold), and putting the 4" cold air intake on the diesel intake manifold.

Thanks

'84 Mitsubishi 4x4 2.3L turbo biodiesel pickup
'91 VW Rabbit GTI with 1.6 biodiesel transplant
'81 Toyota longbed 2wd 2.2NA biodiesel pickup (for sale)
'89 Subaru 4x4 touring wagon
 '82 subaru 4x4 TDI wagon -- project on hold
1976 Ford Sasquatch pickup

Reply #1September 07, 2005, 01:17:08 am

vwmike

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 01:17:08 am »
I'm not really clear on what fittings you need. Is it Banjo fittings or the barbed connections? You might want to verify that the rear motor mount will in fact bolt up to that FN transmission as is may have the earlier case which is not compatible with the MK2 mount. As for the pump, you probably at least want to eliminate the out of tank pump. The in-tank pump can probably be used as a lift pump for the injection pump although I have not heard of this being done. I have heard of someone leaving it disconnected and allowing the injection pump to draw through the in-tank pump (using it as a pick-up tube). I'm sure the stock exhaust will work just fine with the diesel.

Reply #2September 07, 2005, 02:52:43 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
banjo bolts
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 02:52:43 am »
You can find a banjo and bolt for the input to the injection pump, on a gasser VW. On the fuel distributor there is a double stacked banjo bolt that works good for also connectiing a vacuum gauge to fuel line at the front of the pump.
 One of the small banjos on the injector lines can be used to replace the  upper banjo on the double stacked banjo. This will give you a smaller barb for a smaller line running to the vacuum gauge.

The output banjo has 2 barbs. One for the return line going back to the tank which might be 1/4".
 The other is about 1/8"connecting to the small lines between the injectors. That'll be the hard one to find.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #3September 07, 2005, 09:54:27 am

zyewdall

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 09:54:27 am »
Thanks for the insight.  I'm still having a little hard time envisioning the multiple connections, but I can go look a a diesel rabbit that's assembled and see whats hooked up where.  If I have to, I can get little brass Tees and such at the hardware store to connect the injector return to the pump return.

Zeke
'84 Mitsubishi 4x4 2.3L turbo biodiesel pickup
'91 VW Rabbit GTI with 1.6 biodiesel transplant
'81 Toyota longbed 2wd 2.2NA biodiesel pickup (for sale)
'89 Subaru 4x4 touring wagon
 '82 subaru 4x4 TDI wagon -- project on hold
1976 Ford Sasquatch pickup

Fixmyvw.com